Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should really move this discussion to another thread, but you said:
I'm an MCU1 MS owner that purchased EAP. What features am I missing without MCU2?
Yea, check out the threads on MCU2 upgrade for more details, but so far I know MCU1 is missing at least visualizations showing things like traffic cones, traffic lights, etc. MCU1 EAP description always said the "driver is responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times", so I would argue knowing whether or not the car is aware of surrounding objects via visualizations is helpful to supervise the system as it automatically changes lanes, transition between freeways or exits freeways (all without driver input as per 2016 EAP description). It basically looks like Tesla stopped adding EAP/FSD related features to MCU1/IC1 at some point.

2014 MS 85. Absolutely no symptoms at all, and suddenly, *poof*! Center screen is black. Tesla (at Charlotte) has 2-3 weeks backlog. Wk057 has at least a week and half backlog and needs the car there for a couple of days. The app is talking with the car and able to open trunk / frunk. But not able to do anything else (lock / unlock, climate, set charge limit above previously set 70% etc.). I'll be removing the Tegra board today to prevent further wear.

I can remove the Tegra board myself, but need help with the chip replacement. Is there anyone else on the east coast that can do the eMMC replacement quickly? If not, @EV-Fixme / @appleguru Can I reach out to one of you to help me with this? Since you are in the west coast, just wanted to understand the lead times as this is my daily driver :-(

Thank you.

Also, wife thinks I broke it since it was working yesterday night. o_O

18000 miles? Apparently the write cycles happen even when the car is not used then...
Correct, late last year tesla changed the logging to be active only when car is on. That will help from the logging aspect, however old writes are done, damage is done, life expectancy was decreased.

Replacement chips are expected to last much longer do the extra writes available, higher temp rating, and the reduced logging.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
2014 MS 85. Absolutely no symptoms at all, and suddenly, *poof*! Center screen is black. Tesla (at Charlotte) has 2-3 weeks backlog. Wk057 has at least a week and half backlog and needs the car there for a couple of days. The app is talking with the car and able to open trunk / frunk. But not able to do anything else (lock / unlock, climate, set charge limit above previously set 70% etc.). I'll be removing the Tegra board today to prevent further wear.

I can remove the Tegra board myself, but need help with the chip replacement. Is there anyone else on the east coast that can do the eMMC replacement quickly? If not, @EV-Fixme / @appleguru Can I reach out to one of you to help me with this? Since you are in the west coast, just wanted to understand the lead times as this is my daily driver :-(

Thank you.

Also, wife thinks I broke it since it was working yesterday night. o_O

We turn around in 5 working days faster if we can, express options available to ensure speed, and can ship at faster speeds if you want. Feel free to PM us for more details.

Way to disappoint @tesla LOL!

I had put in the request to have a paper trail just in case NHTSA comes up with a recall / refund. The appointment was for 30th July.
Already sent the Tegra to @appleguru for fixing, and hopefully if all goes well, I should have a working car next week itself.

upload_2020-7-9_15-9-4-png.562502

I thought I would post this while still fresh in my mind. After reading so many posts of failed eMMC cards, I decided to act preemptively on my 2016 MX 75D (AP1, MCU1) and remove my eMMC card for Tony to upgrade. The final straw for me was reading @ohmman ‘s MCU failure saga while on a camper towing vacation.

David and Tony’s videos on post #1 are fantastic, but they are done on an MS 85. There are some differences on the MX as I found out today while removing my eMMC card. So below are my observations. I can only claim that they apply to an Aug 2016 MX build and have no idea if anything has changed in later models. My comments are organized by the time stamps on David’s YouTube video, “How to Remove the MCU from a Tesla Model S/X”

Initial Recommendation: Because further below you’ll see I recommend disconnecting the 12 V battery, take these steps first, in addition to all the prep items Tony lists on Post #1:

- lower the front windows. After 12 V is disconnected the windows will not auto-lower to clear the trim. Plus, with no 12 V, the exterior door handles will not work and you will need to reach inside for the mechanical latch.

- Open the frunk, and stuff a rag in the latch so that it won’t accidentally be re-locked.

2:40 There are no key FOB antennae on either end cap cover.

3:16 This screw under the steering wheel does not exist in the MX. There is a protruding pin in the frame which catches a notch in the cover. The pin does not have to be removed. Just push forward slightly on the plastic cover at the base to release the notch from the pin.

9:56 There is no bottom screw on the MX.

10:39 There is only one fuse box under the hood, but the MCU fuse is not in there. The MX does not have the red fuse box shown in the video. There is a second fuse box in the cabin to the right of the accelerator pedal, behind the carpeted vertical panel of the center console (see my photo). This cover is a son-of-a-gun to get off. It is held in place by clips only but it’s hard to get the correct angle to pull it off. I recommend starting at the rear of the panel and working forward to the accelerator. The black and white fuse box diagram Tony provides on post 1 of this Wiki matches the MX fuse box and shows the location of fuse F235. Inside the box is mounted a fuse puller for removing the micro-fuses so you don’t need any tools for this.

Some additional recommendations: 1) power down the vehicle using the center display and while standing outside the car (no pressure on the seat). Then pull out the fuse making sure you don’t depress the brake pedal, 2) after pulling the MCU fuse F235, the center display did not turn on when re-entering the car, as expected, but there were still LEDs illuminated in the back of the MCU rack indicating certain components were still powered up. So before removing the numerous connectors behind the MCU, I removed the frunk liner, tub, and air filter to expose the 12 V battery, and disconnected the negative lead.

10:49 The MX has a grounding wire at the top of the MCU. Remove this before unscrewing the T-25 torx screws holding the MCU. The ground wire connection is a simple slide on connector with no tab.

14:21 The MX does not have the external Bluetooth antenna.

16:09 The MX only used Torx 8 (no Torx 6) for the screws holding the eMMC card.

@EV-Fixme (Tony) If you think the above might be valuable, I recommend you include them as an addendum to Post #1 of this Wiki.

Finally, let me say that Tony and David’s instructions and videos are outstanding and were a huge help.

Edit: forgot to add the photo.
IMG_20200709_151113399.jpg

Last edited:
I

16:09 The MX only used Torx 8 (no Torx 6) for the screws holding the eMMC card.

Actually...… We just saw a car that hat T6 screws securing the back end of the board where we have always seen T8 screws. This was a 2017 car, so who knows what might be there, because knowing consistency is not there...

Thanks for the info I have linked your post!

And glad the video is helpful. Once we have some time we will try to work on a X video also.

BTW, I finally received a quote from Tesla for reman MCU1 just now: $1098.75 + tax.
That is one of the lowest that I've seen till now. Though I'm sure it'll just be the same old eMMC, and has a 3 week wait time.

Thats not bad if someone isn't comfortable removing the MCU. But at that rate, spend an extra $1000 and get mcu2 without the new screen

Reactions: Dave EV and Akikiki
My MCU failed on a recent towing/camping trip.

I'm on the fence about what to do. I planned to upgrade my X this year anyway (for more towing range). If Tesla actually gave reasonable trade-in values, I'd trade in for the new one and let them deal with it. But having them replace with an MCU1, then selling it to some poor fool who will be stuck with the issue eventually.. that doesn't sit well with me. Third party replacement is an option, but since mine is entirely dead, it reads as if it's possible I may permanently lose app control, which would be terrible and would make it unmarketable for the most part.

What a mess.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy

I'm on the fence about what to do. I planned to upgrade my X this year anyway (for more towing range). If Tesla actually gave reasonable trade-in values, I'd trade in for the new one and let them deal with it. But having them replace with an MCU1, then selling it to some poor fool who will be stuck with the issue eventually.. that doesn't sit well with me. Third party replacement is an option, but since mine is entirely dead, it reads as if it's possible I may permanently lose app control, which would be terrible and would make it unmarketable for the most part.

What a mess.

@ohmman , glad to hear you made it home safely, but I feel bad for your predicament.
Changing out the eMMC is a roll of dice on whether you lose app access. But if it works, you're back up and running in about a week and you can take your time deciding on a trade-in.
Trading in now, as is, might be the safest option, but your trade-in will be decremented $1100 to $1300 for the repair, if Tesla will even take it as is.
I have to agree with you on option 3: wait for an MCU1 replacement from Tesla. Paying $1100+ for a replacement that will only have a 4 year MTBF does not seem to be viable. At least with Tony's 32 GB upgrade, if you haven't lost app access, you are better than new with a 20-year MCU.
Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman

What a mess.

I agree with @Solarman004 reference the trade in. You likely don't know about a recent change. Those MCU1 re-manufactured after early May contain a different quality and size eMMC than before. Now its larger and formatted for 32 GB. Its expected to last more than 10 years vice the previous 4-5 years worser case. So, if you fix it, you are not passing a car with the same eMMC life expectancy as before. Just make sure (I guess by waiting for exhausted supply of pre-May) unit and get a more recent one.

How much is emmc chip replacement?
Depends on where you have it done. Tesla out of warranty repair will be about $1300 with screen plus labor and tax.
3rd Party repair shops will change depending on what they have to do. Simply repair the Tegra board you remove and take to them somewhere around $600-700. If they have to remove it, they charge to disassemble the dash, disassemble the MCU, fix, reassemble the MCU and re-install it in the car and trim.

FYI, I've not seen a report of anyone in the Dallas area that is a 3rd party fixer or will remove your Tegra board.