Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just experienced my Tesla MCU screen black-out.

My vehicle is a 2015 Model S at approximately 45,000 miles.
I was making a quick trip to the grocery store and upon returning to my vehicle, the MCU screen turned black. I thought it was going to take a while to load since I've been experiencing slower MCU functions ( the msg "please wait while vehicle powers up" plastered on the dashboard for the past 6+ months), but after attempting to reboot/reset, the MCU screen remained dark. The blinkers were not working, the AC unit was turned off, and I had no control over the headlights and other standard functions/adjustments. I'm starting to think that this is a pretty big issue in regards to safety because I probably would have called a tow truck if I wasn't just 5 miles away from home.

If the MCU was merely for entertainment purposes (radio/apps/seat warmer..etc), then maybe it can be brushed off as a vehicle part that is permissible to deteriorate over time/usage. Tesla's MCU1 chip, based on what I'm reading here (if the vehicle is pre-2018 and fitted with the original 8g chip) then MCU failure is inevitable - it's just a matter of time. This is concerning because they're basically selling a vehicle that is guaranteed to fail after certain limitations of time/mileage/usage. It's a pre-established vehicle part failure that applies to a large number of manufactured vehicles grouped by year-made, and follows a systematic pattern of issues and failures. I don't know how much more needs to be proven that this is in-fact a manufacturer defect that Tesla is strictly liable for... considering this is almost a textbook issue for manufacturer recalls.

If your out of warranty we can help you. The first post on this thread has all the information. Also, AFAIK in the past any recall would reimburse owner for repair of failure even if repaired 3rd party.

MCU failure (7/13/20)
Model S 2015
No noticeable signs before hand. I had my 4 year old in the car over 100 degrees air temp. Along with all the lost functionality with screen black no AC making it difficult and dangerous to drive. Later after making alternative way home. I was able to get vehicle to service. I was told 1 month lead on new part and was dismissed with car was fine to drive until part was available. However, at my next destination I was unable to charge (I had scheduled charging preset before failure) and was set to 80% of battery. The vehicle was not taking charge. Display informed me charging was complete. I was just able to get to another Service center whereby a new part was at hand next day. It was same MCU1 chip $1200 installed. Only 1 year warranty on this part. After asking I was told that an MCU2 was not able to be installed on this particular vehicle. Therefore assuming same issue will occur? Does anyone know any third party installers in the Bay Area?

We have help available in Bay area.

My guess is they were wrong, unfortunately happens all the time. I have not seen any reports of AP1 or older cars getting MCU2. Would love to be wrong
There is a forum member on a different post is picking up his car today with the MCU 2 upgrade. We have the same car 2013 S 85 Pre Ap. I'm scheduled next week. They can not get to me any sooner. My MCU 1 has been out since May. They called me July 3 and offered me MCU 2 as an option.

Burlingame here. Can you help me? My Model X MCU failed -- screen is dead even with hard reset, no turning signals, no phone connectivity, no AC, etc. SO far someone at TESLA messages me to set up an appointment at 7/30, and not responsive at all. Thanks!

This happened to me yesterday afternoon. It's so crazy.... Mind sharing the battery size and month+year of the manufacture date (located near the driver's door near the seat area). I think someone is collecting this data for our benefits.

@Nogizaka, Maybe it has earned a manufacturer recall. But its not been ordered or volunteered. So what are you going to do in the meantime? We've heard so many times before the same thing yours is doing. Its not going to get better than it is right now. Only worse til it dies completely. What are you going to do?
I called and made an appointment at a SC next tuesday. They called back today telling me the MCU will need to be replaced, knowing what the issue is without needing to examine it. They placed the order and now I am told to go in 3 weeks later to get the unit replaced with MCU1 but with an upgraded chip.
I looked at the other option of having 3rd party vendor reinstall a better chip, but the cost is 600 + 300 for installations (plus tax and shipping cost) would put me in the same ballpark as getting it done by Tesla. So I'm going to go with the tesla SC route.

Reactions: EV-Fixme
I called and made an appointment at a SC next tuesday. They called back today telling me the MCU will need to be replaced, knowing what the issue is without needing to examine it. They placed the order and now I am told to go in 3 weeks later to get the unit replaced with MCU1 but with an upgraded chip.
I looked at the other option of having 3rd party vendor reinstall a better chip, but the cost is 600 + 300 for installations (plus tax and shipping cost) would put me in the same ballpark as getting it done by Tesla. So I'm going to go with the tesla SC route.

Tesla has lowered their price so it's close now. However we generally get it done in a little over a week even with shipping.

Sounds like a good plan. Question: You mentioned a "upgraded chip". What do you mean by that? Did they tell you the re-manufactured MCU has an "upgraded chip"? In what way?

This happened to me yesterday afternoon. It's so crazy.... Mind sharing the battery size and month+year of the manufacture date (located near the driver's door near the seat area). I think someone is collecting this data for our benefits.
My TESLA is 2016 Model X 90D. I couldn't find the battery sticker.
I scheduled a mobile service through Tesla App. Then TESLA messaged me saying someone will troubleshoot it remotely. Then TESLA messaged me to schedule an appointment -- the earliest being 7/30. I tried to call Burlingame service center, but was never able to talk with any live person, so I', stuck with them. Meanwhile, I got email saying

Parts Ordered
  1. MCU,MDLSX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN
    Part #: 1098010-99-H
    Order Date: July 15, 2020
And again, no one calls me, I talked with no live person, no quote.

I scheduled a mobile service through Tesla App. Then TESLA messaged me saying someone will troubleshoot it remotely. Then TESLA messaged me to schedule an appointment -- the earliest being 7/30. I tried to call Burlingame service center, but was never able to talk with any live person, so I', stuck with them. Meanwhile, I got email saying

Parts Ordered

I am in the SF Bay area and have had the same REMAN part on order since 6/29. Still backordered. Now have an appointment @ Dublin Service Center mid-August and hoping that the part comes in by then.

I am in the SF Bay area and have had the same REMAN part on order since 6/29. Still backordered. Now have an appointment @ Dublin Service Center mid-August and hoping that the part comes in by then.
Did they give you a loaner car to drive? They told me I can only get a loaner car when my car is in service. If at 7/30 my part is still backordered, I'm afraid they'd say I'm not in service... and with the turn signals not working, it's really not drive-able.

Did they give you a loaner car to drive? They told me I can only get a loaner car when my car is in service. If at 7/30 my part is still backordered, I'm afraid they'd say I'm not in service... and with the turn signals not working, it's really not drive-able.

The 2015 S70D is driveable--no hard failure yet but all of the symptoms (slow to boot, occasional prolonged black touchscreen, odd Bluetooth failures, et).Being proactive. Under extended warranty.

Reactions: Akikiki
I just succumbed to "I might as well..." syndrome. Tony's almost done with my eMMC chip, and here I am with a naked frunk and disconnected 12V battery. So I say to myself, "might as well preemptively replace this 4 year old, 57,000 mile original 12 V battery. Of course, you can't find the AtlasBX battery for the MX at any auto parts store. But they do have them in stock at Denver-Littleton. Picking it up next week. I'm going to get a battery health test on the original, then keep it charged as an emergency spare. I'm still getting used to owning a car that requires a trip to the "dealer" for battery and windshield wipers. :) Good thing I love this car.
By the way, I now have a full set of trim removal tools and inflatable wedges, and already had the full Torx set, to perform the MCU removal. If anyone in the Colorado Springs to Denver area would like to borrow them, PM me.

Parts Ordered

@baird329, I think I did a poor job of clearly explaining what I wanted from the sticker. It was not the battery manufacture date. I was asking about the car's build date. Its on a sticker on the driver side door opening. The sticker does not state build date. The build date has no label. Its on its upper corner, format mm/yy.

@baird329, Can you share your car's build date and your mileage, please?

@baird329, You might want to ask someone to help with this. We've seen it reported that the turn signals are actually flashing, even though we don't see it indicated on the IC and don't hear the sound. It might ease your concern about driving.

I just succumbed to "I might as well..." syndrome. Tony's almost done with my eMMC chip, and here I am with a naked frunk and disconnected 12V battery. So I say to myself, "might as well preemptively replace this 4 year old, 57,000 mile original 12 V battery. Of course, you can't find the AtlasBX battery for the MX at any auto parts store. But they do have them in stock at Denver-Littleton. Picking it up next week. I'm going to get a battery health test on the original, then keep it charged as an emergency spare. I'm still getting used to owning a car that requires a trip to the "dealer" for battery and windshield wipers. :) Good thing I love this car.
By the way, I now have a full set of trim removal tools and inflatable wedges, and already had the full Torx set, to perform the MCU removal. If anyone in the Colorado Springs to Denver area would like to borrow them, PM me.
@Solarman004,
And don't forget to cover your MCU and dash chrome trim with blue painter's tape to protect it. Sure as not, it gets bumped and dented. Worth the 3 minutes it takes.

Just so you know, there's other sources. These guys make a great battery. Free shipping too. https://www.ohmmu.com/

@Solarman004,
And don't forget to cover your MCU and dash chrome trim with blue painter's tape to protect it. Sure as not, it gets bumped and dented. Worth the 3 minutes it takes.

Just so you know, there's other sources. These guys make a great battery. Free shipping too. https://www.ohmmu.com/

Good points on the tape! But that battery price - holy cow - it's a lead-acid battery for crying out loud.

Reactions: scaesare
March 2015 S85D
Build date 03/15
About 45 days ago, I lost all connectivity, and a reboot took *45 minutes*. Scheduled an appointment on the App. I was texted that there was a few weeks wait for MCU....
Then I lost all sound (including turn signals....but they were still visable @baird329, @Akikiki ) about a week later.
Then my screen started looking like a quilt - occasionally.

I was phoned and texted to bring it in to the Mississauga ON Canada SC last week. I was given a loaner, and warned that it might still be a week or 2 to get the new MCU. I have the extended warranty.
A couple of days later, I was offered an MCU2 at a discount (10%) if I wished to upgrade....so they must now be available for AP1 vehicles. I declined (I like SXM, and don't care about games, browser and Netflix ).

They replaced the MCU1 on Wednesday. I was told it has an upgraded chip, same as @Nogizaka. I'm not sure what that entails.
All in all, I was treated really well by the Mississauga SC team. Unlike some of the horror stories I read on this site about bad experiences with service, I have always had good luck at this locale. They brought me in, when they felt the vehicle could be an issue, gave me a loaner S90D for 9 days, and most importantly: they communicated with me.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311