Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@xAgyex a suggestion... I had a printed copy of instructions found on post #1 while dismantling my car. But I also found it very helpful to have a laptop in the garage with Tony's YouTube video. I would watch one step, pause the video and do the step, then proceed to the next step.
Good luck!

@xAgyex a suggestion... I had a printed copy of instructions found on post #1 while dismantling my car. But I also found it very helpful to have a laptop in the garage with Tony's YouTube video. I would watch one step, pause the video and do the step, then proceed to the next step.
Good luck!

Definitely. Watched it about 10 times already...hahaha and will have it play step by step while doing the tear down.

Last edited:
Anyone here looking for that MCU2 FM Radio custom made cable?

I am referring to the special cable that connects MCU2 and the digital tuner. My friend Teslatap.com documented the cable in his article about FM/XM Radio for the MCU2 Upgrade | TeslaTap. He made about 20 or so and stopped making them.

I found this site of someone that makes Tesla custom cables. He has them on his own site.

Check this out. EV Cables Company

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Just an update here, my ranger and I got the car all put back together today with the upgraded emmc chip and doing the 4g LTE upgrade in the same shot.

Everything works flawlessly. I dont notice it being any faster but it has an update downloading for it now that my ranger pushed so will see more on the response part later. Interesting side note, from tesla diag side it shows null for all the values on the new emmc, it knows it is there but nothing about it.

Just an update here, my ranger and I got the car all put back together today with the upgraded emmc chip and doing the 4g LTE upgrade in the same shot.

Everything works flawlessly. I dont notice it being any faster but it has an update downloading for it now that my ranger pushed so will see more on the response part later. Interesting side note, from tesla diag side it shows null for all the values on the new emmc, it knows it is there but nothing about it.

Tesla put a new emmc for you?

That is normal, Tesla's scripts pulls data from the 8 gig Hynix chip they use. The upgraded chips are not recognized by their scripts but dont have issues with operations from what we have seen.