Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On this PROVISIONED question, I wonder if it means the new Tegra board is shipping with firmware already on it. Then add a wee bit of car unique files from Tesla mothership or recovered from old eMMC, and its a faster process to get it on the road. Then once up, the car gets newer firmware - when it gets it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 10.45.34 AM.png

I'm suddenly seeing bizarre behavior in the Tesla app. Is this somehow related to a flaky eMMC, or something else altogether? I re-read the first post, but I don't see similar symptoms mentioned.

Thursday night/Friday morning, I charged to 90%. Friday afternoon, I did an hour or so of mixed highway/back roads driving that brought me down to 64%. I parked the car (unplugged) and took a different car back to the starting point (I am 30 miles away, so I can't check easily in person). At some point early Sat AM, I got an alert on the phone to the effect of "Danger, battery at 0% - car uses power when not plugged in - plug in now to avoid battery damage"

When I checked the app, I see reported battery charge % bouncing all over the place - 0%, 50%, 85%, currently showing 80%. The blue bar/snowflake came and went (it's around 70F now).

Looking on TeslaFi, I see all kinds of odd values reported - at 8am Friday morning (2 hrs after charge completion), TeslaFi reports the car sleeping with the charge % @ 100% (without additional charging), then a series of sleep/idle sessions over 2 hours @ 89%, 94%, 100%, 98%, before settling at 89%. Vampire drain brings it down to 87% by early afternoon, then it bounces up to 89%, before a charge cycle (20A@240V), bringing the battery from 89%->100% in 3(!) minutes (charge setpoint is 90%). More sleep/idles bouncing around the 90's% for almost 2 hours, before my drive (the display said 87% when I left).

Things were normal during/after the drive. TeslaFi reports a couple of sleep/idle cycles during the night, at 63%. Then at 10am, idle @ 86%. App now shows 80%, but the snowflake came back on (68F outside, 93F cabin temp, so that's wrong).

Any idea what's happening? As I mentioned, I'm 30 miles away from the car, so I can't go open the door and see what's with the displays or run Scan My Tesla to measure real pack voltage.

@tga, It sounds somewhat like a grounding problem. As I recall there was some reports in the last couple of years of a few '13's and '14's having a ground strap issue under the frunk liner. I don't recall where it was exactly. It also sounds a little like 12V loose ground terminal. 12V terminals loose is not common at all either. That message is likely coming from the 12V being low, so it could be failing, but the firmware has been good about providing a warning 2-3 weeks advance notice. You've seen no hints like that?

Reactions: tga
An indirect shout out to the EV-Fixme team (local NoCA and SoCA)...I have a colleague with a used 2014 S, who told me of some MCU issues he noted (without the full understanding of the impending failure). I sent him a hot alert to act fast and get his eMMC fixed. He was in discussion with the NoCA folks when his MCU completely died. He said that the touchscreen itself seemed OK (no bubbles or yellowing). He also had a failing Instrument Cluster (bad display). The EV-Fixme team got his dashboard disassembled, sent off the Tegra board, and also sourced a good used IC (surprisingly hard to find). The whole process took a couple of weeks (timing, finding a good IC). His car is all back together and he is one happy camper, with the service and also the price. All good.

My estimate also has that part but it doesn't have "(64GB)" in it. Same part number though.

So FWIW I have been waiting more than 7 weeks to have my wife's 2015 S70D MCU repaired/replaced. The touchscreen is leaking/has bubbles, and the MCU/Tegra is failing. Service initially wanted to do a full MCU replacement with a remanufactured unit. These are badly back ordered. So now the plan is to remove, repair and replace subcomponents. Specifically they will replace the touchscreen:

tesla MCU2.png

and also the Tegra board:

Tesla MCU1.png

at a service visit next Tuesday (no Mobile Service to do the Tegra as the firmware reinstall takes a lot of time and the tech at a Service Center could 'multitask'.

Note that the part number/description they sent me on the preliminary Service Work Order seems different from yours.

Quick thumbs up to the guys at EV-Fixme. Mine died on 8/1 and just got it reassembled today. Most of the delay was USPS taking 9 days to take my bad Tegra from San Diego to LA (yes, that's 8 miles a day). I decided to do the disassembly myself. Given that 90 % of the DIY things I try end up in some sort of chaos, this one wasn't too bad. Broke one piece of trim and ended up with a dead 12V since I clearly didn't read the ENTIRE post (where it says to disconnect 12V or connect tender). As a result, I couldn't open my frunk, but Tony helped me break into it. Just after I mailed Tegra off, I started seeing posts of Tesla offering to replace just the Tegra. I gotta admit I was a little bummed, since that would've been the cheaper route (although sounds like not any quicker....), but in the end, I'm glad my money went to a "local" business than Tesla!

So I got the evfixme guys to do the repair on my eMMC a few weeks ago and until yesterday everything was going perfectly. I had a firmware flash a week ago and still everything works great.
Yesterday my slacker just stopped working when I had LTE with 3 bars and it wouldn't work till I did a scroll wheel and brake pedal reboot.
Today the music wouldn't load when I got into the car and started driving, with again plenty of cell signal and I rebooted while driving so no brake pedal but it took like like 5 min before the maps loaded and the music is good. Then like 45 min ago the app wouldn't load the car even after a reinstall. And the SMT app wouldn't read anything from the car till an app reboot and then the Tesla app worked too. I don't know if this is eMMC issue since it's damn near new but WTF?

Update for entry on July 26: Have now put 445 miles (mostly short trips) on 2015 S after replacement of emmc by evfixme. Passive entry and traction control sliders are now working. Have had a few glitches that I think may be emmc replacement related. Had to re-learn garage door opener, cabin temp setting on all three profiles reset to 72 from 76, and music switched from usb to radio. These only happened one at a time over the first couple of weeks and were easily fixed. Car is still running very well and nothing new for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: delanman
@tga, It sounds somewhat like a grounding problem. As I recall there was some reports in the last couple of years of a few '13's and '14's having a ground strap issue under the frunk liner. I don't recall where it was exactly. It also sounds a little like 12V loose ground terminal. 12V terminals loose is not common at all either. That message is likely coming from the 12V being low, so it could be failing, but the firmware has been good about providing a warning 2-3 weeks advance notice. You've seen no hints like that?
Well, the good news is it's not my eMMC...

BMS_f098_HW_BMB_Over
Service is required
PULL OVER SAFELY

BMS_f017_SW_Brick
Service is required
PULL OVER SAFELY

BMS_u018_Max_Charge
Maximum battery charge level reduced

So I got the evfixme guys to do the repair on my eMMC a few weeks ago and until yesterday everything was going perfectly. I had a firmware flash a week ago and still everything works great.
Yesterday my slacker just stopped working when I had LTE with 3 bars and it wouldn't work till I did a scroll wheel and brake pedal reboot.
Today the music wouldn't load when I got into the car and started driving, with again plenty of cell signal and I rebooted while driving so no brake pedal but it took like like 5 min before the maps loaded and the music is good. Then like 45 min ago the app wouldn't load the car even after a reinstall. And the SMT app wouldn't read anything from the car till an app reboot and then the Tesla app worked too. I don't know if this is eMMC issue since it's damn near new but WTF?
Will reach out to you. Current firmware has been Werid with both replaced and original chips

FWIW, as soon as I powered up after replacing, it downloaded 2020.24. Once I knew everything was working (took about 20 minutes for slacker to eventually start working, and I had to repair my phone), I updated and it’s been working great. Everything was saved (profiles, garage door, etc). Even my trip odometer. That made my day, since I’ve never reset trip B - I like seeing how many kW I’ve used since day 1 and my lifetime avg.

Will reach out to you. Current firmware has been Werid with both replaced and original chips
When you say "current firmware", what version are you referring to? Also, weird how (symptoms)? Just curious if there Tesla is screwing with something which might cause problems for replaced emmc's. Lastly, does that affect all replacements, or only some (maybe only ones which have enlarged the user partition for example)?

PS> I'm on 2020.24.6.11 with a 32GB emmc but original unmodified partition sizes (totaling 8GB only) and remainder of the space trimmed. So far so good (drive it earlier today). Should I be worried about updating?