Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My appointment for daughterboard replacement is this morning. I went out to try to drive to the SC, but the car won't start. In the past, when I had this issue, I would reset the MCU (which I recognize is already black) by holding both scroll wheels, get in and out of the car and when I'd press the brake again, it would say "please wait for systems to power up." I couldn't get it to do that again this morning.

I tried a number of things (hard reset with brake, IC reset, etc) to no avail and just called for Roadside Assistance to come pick the thing up.

Really frustrating.

EDIT: I was quoted $350 for a tow so I went ahead and tried a 12V reset. That worked and I’m about to head over now. In case anyone else has the same issue.

Interesting, we have not seen this condition. I'd like to get more details and document it. Generally the car can take a few minutes and start up, never had anyone that needed to reboot. Also if you can reboot, the mcu is not totally dead yet. as a dead one wont reboot.

Any of the California is repair guys willing to drive to fresno for a chip upgrade? 2016 model x p90d screen went black at 51,000 miles and 3 weeks out of warranty.
Mine was about 3 wks out of warranty and Tesla fixed it under warranty... I argued this is a quite common issue, and it would have been exposed under warranty if no COVID19 SIP. Best luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Interesting, we have not seen this condition. I'd like to get more details and document it. Generally the car can take a few minutes and start up, never had anyone that needed to reboot. Also if you can reboot, the mcu is not totally dead yet. as a dead one wont reboot.
OK, so this is the experience I was having. Note that it's told from my personal observations, so any conclusions I'm drawing are limited to that. When the MCU went out, the car would be very slow to power up the next day. It would almost always show the slide up notification on the IC that says, "Please wait as systems power up" or equivalent. That would stay up until I depressed the brake again after a reasonable period of time, at which point it would slide back down and the car would be on. If I depressed the brake earlier than that, it would stay up.

After a week or so, what I would see after a longer sleep period would be that the car wouldn't start up at all. I wouldn't get that notification when I pressed the brake. The brake would depress deeply, as if power brake was working, but nothing would happen. I tried everything during this time with no success, until I finally tried holding the scroll wheels and "resetting" the dead MCU. The MCU stayed black. Nothing seemed to change, except that when I depressed the brake after a period of time, I'd get the slide up notification and it would act as in the paragraph above. That was a repeatable process, and when we went on a camping trip, I was able to do it each morning to get the car to "wake."

This morning, after the car had been sitting undriven for weeks, depressing the brake would give me a deep depress, but after some time it would push back up, as if power braking (or whatever allows the brake pedal to easily depress) turned back off. I never got a splash screen, my scroll wheel reset didn't work, scroll wheels with brake didn't work, top button IC reset didn't work, etc. I tried everything for an hour, including holding the brake for a full 10 minutes even after it pushed my foot back up (Tesla's suggestion). Eventually I disconnected the 12V battery terminal for 5 minutes, reconnected it, and the car powered up as in my first paragraph above.

Wait, what? How far is the SC? Are you out of warranty? I need to get my car towed to the SC here which is 45 minutes away to get the MCU repaired and some other things, so should I expect a tow bill? Otherwise, I'll just call AAA instead.

My car failed 3 months out of warranty. So yes, I'm out of warranty now. The $340 was Tesla's quote to me to tow my X 35 minutes to my SC. They said it wouldn't be covered for repair reasons, and that's what instigated me to remove the frunk bucket and disconnect the 12V. My tow quote might have been higher because I was nosed into my garage and the car was unable to be moved, due to having no ability to put it in neutral. They would have had to use dollies.

Either way, the way it worked was that they provided me a quote and asked for me to approve prior to sending anyone out. You can give that a shot, or as you mention, use AAA. Unless you're under warranty, in which case you're all set by letting them foot the bill.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Was able to contact SC and let them know it had one gone out for several minutes. With no HVAC and turning signals lights along with the noise. Little did they know I had recorded. Just incase.

I brought it in and the stated they would replace it since im on the extended warranty.

They come back and ask when last time it happened because they are unable to replicate it. So they may not replace or service it for a fee.

So I said, I recorded and let them know its happened several times. I also let them know it was a safety issue and should be done as preventative measure and under the extended warranty. They quickly changed their tune after I sent them the vid.

So they went ahead and ordered the part and replaced it. It took about a week for them to complete. Just in time before the extended warranty goes. I'd say my purchase of the ESA has paid for its self. $200 dollar deductible is what I paid.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and GSP
@bayareadriver, yes, I am sorry to say, afraid so for you, the wait is bad. One option you might want to consider is the MCU2 Upgrade. On your year car, for the price, you car will literally become a new car - or equal to one. You will capitalize on all those cameras yourself that the car currently uses. I sincerely mean it when I say its worth it even if MCU1 and MCU2 parts arrived at the same time. Yes, even though I know you are still under warranty. Hope it works out for you. Keep us in the loop. We are all family here :)

Just to follow up - I drove to the service center to request an appointment and got scheduled for a week later. Dropped my car off, they diagnosed and ordered the part (daughterboard, 64GB) which took about 1 week to arrive, and then spent 2 days installing it. And they applied the UV treatment for the yellow border on the screen. So all in all, my car was in the shop for around 9 calendar days. This is in the Bay Area, California. Had to clean up all the ash on my car afterwards (due to the California wildfires).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Forgot to mention the outcome. Yes, my center screen is working again. There may be something wonky with charging (I keep getting "Charging Interrupted at XX% - with XX% being the charge limit that I set). Will keep an eye out to see if this is this continues to occur.

If charging is acting peculiar, at least for a week or so, I would reduce my charge limit by 5-10% just to make a change even small. But I would certainly turn off scheduled charging for a little while. We've seen scheduled charging affect the ability to charge. Cost nothing to try just to be safe. I would.

Picking up the car now.
E766387D-0C9B-423C-B1DB-9665E4F1AA1D.jpeg

Hi guys. Please, can anyone send to me "mcu_commands" file from any car?
I was able to successfully restore certificates for several died eMMC (totally died, not responsible eMMC at programmator), and I want to learn how to recover this file too.

can someone help me?
It's just a "random" 4 digit hex value in a text file... but it is paired to the car's security module, so must match unless it gets reset for some remote functionality to work.

Eg,

• Informative
Reactions: DaveBC