Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General question - my screen talks a few minutes to reboot - is this an early sign of MCU failure ?

A few minutes being the operative term here. Just prior to my screen dying all together reboot times were often in excess of an hour to an hour and a half I would just leave the car alone and then a few hours later come back and open a door and it would come alive a few minutes as in two or three etc may not be that unusual

My failure was also accompanied by other signs such as right errors and areas of the navigation maps that would appear as snow or lines also incorrect map panels for my current location it would show me driving across the desert where there weren't even any roads and things like that all of that accompanied the ultimate failure or I should say preceded the ultimate failure.

General question - my screen talks a few minutes to reboot - is this an early sign of MCU failure ?
Probably. The only other thing I can think of which can cause long MCU boot times is a USB drive with music which is either corrupt, failing, or containing a very large number of files. Unplug everything from USB and if it still takes few minutes to boot, it's most likely that your emmc is worn, therefore slow and/or corrupt by now.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-Fixme
I just wondered if in the opinion of those who have had the experience of a failed screen, does this look like mine is on its way out? The screen should have been showing the 'dog mode' message. Presumably a replacement daughterboard would resolve it if so?

(2015 MS70D)

IMG_8697.jpeg

I have seen the lower part of the screen being corrupted on 2 or 3 other occasions, each of which seemed to cure itself after a while.

A second related question, would it also make sense to turn off PIN to drive to avoid the risk of Russian Roulette if it does fail?

I’ve had a few crashes and long reboots.

Has a colored checkerboard last week.

Tesla was debugging and said it was fine, just a corrupt file. I said I wanted it replaced to feel comfortable. They said it would take a complete analysis, warranty, etc. I said my warranty expired already and they replied “we will order the board”.

I also have my car at the Las Vegas center. Was told the entire MCU needs to be replaced. They cannot replace just the board. Price is about $1,200 for replacement with larger chip vs $1,900 for MCU2, but no radio or satellite radio.
Almost got ripped off by the Las Vegas Service Center. The only issue I was having was the I could not enter a destination for directions. It just came back with “Service Required.” Now it appears that it was nothing more than a corrupted file. The car received an OTA the other day and now everything works fine. Shoddy work that borders on the unethical. Fortunately, the part is on backorder, so I will cancel the appointment.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Almost got ripped off by the Las Vegas Service Center. The only issue I was having was the I could not enter a destination for directions. It just came back with “Service Required.” Now it appears that it was nothing more than a corrupted file. The car received an OTA the other day and now everything works fine. Shoddy work that borders on the unethical. Fortunately, the part is on backorder, so I will cancel the appointment.

Expect the corruption to return shortly... It is a sign the eMMC is failing.

OTA was written to another part of the chip, after which it deactivated the part that was giving you problems. Next OTA will switch it back (they ping-pong every update). Your symptoms are very consistent with dying emmc. I had very similar issue, then got lazy getting around to replacing it, so I just kept declining OTA's so the car would not switch to the bad part of emmc, then even the good part got corrupt..

Picked up my 2015 85D a couple days ago that had the daughterboard replaced with the
MSX MCU TEGRA VCM REV-A-PROVISION (64GB) (2728212-S0-A) under the 4 year/50k mile warranty (purchased the car used through Tesla about two years ago).

A couple months ago, my mobile app stopped connecting to my car. Didn’t think much of it and the issue persisted for about a month until one night I started to troubleshoot. After attempting a couple MCU reboots, the center screen just stayed black and it appeared the MCU would not boot up. I had pin to drive enabled so the car was pretty much a brick and I had to get it towed to Tesla. They diagnosed the car and said the SD card that holds the map data was corrupt, so they formatted the SD card and performed a factory reset and everything was working again.

A couple weeks later, the mobile app stopped connecting to my car again. I gave it a week, tried some of my own troubleshooting to include an MCU reboot but it still would not connect. Before attempting to log out of the mobile app and back in, I went ahead and made a service appointment because I learned from last time that if your mobile app can’t connect to your car, you can’t make service appointment via the app which is a pretty poor design in my opinion. I realize you can call the service center, but the one here never answers.

Initially they scheduled me for a mobile technician to come out to troubleshoot the issue, but a few days later it was changed to an appointment at the service center and they put the Tegra daughterboard on order. The latest email I received from Tesla said the daughterboard was still “pending” for shipping, so I left a message with Tesla and they called me back the next day to confirm they still haven’t received the part and that I could drop it off on Friday when they were hoping to expect the part. Dropped off the car and a few days later, they were finished and ended up replacing the daughterboard. Of note, I received an email after I dropped off the car with the status of the daughterboard and it still said “pending” (never actually got an email saying it actually shipped), but they apparently received it.

It’s only been a few days but everything seems to work fine. I did notice in the description of work on the invoice, they mentioned the touchscreen was blank so they replaced the MCU Tegra daughterboard per a service bulletin. When I dropped off the car, the screen was working fine so the eMMC must have died between dropping it off and when they looked at it - lucky on timing I guess. I did notice in the notifications section on the center display, there were several errors of the touchscreen being unresponsive while it was in service.

Last edited:
2016 Model S 90D
I got my car back last week and everything seems perfect. The appointment was for 9 am and the car was ready to be picked up at 5 pm. The radio sounds great and I also had to reprogram my home link. All the devices stayed on but had to change rolling codes. The screen is super-fast response and honestly excited to get the upgrade for $1900. I usually keep my cars for ten years so I’m excited to have the ability to upgrade. Other car manufacturers would laugh in your face if you asked the same.

Congratulations on the MCU2 upgrade. May I ask how you received the infotainment upgrade for $1,900 with the $600 credit?

upload_2020-9-21_21-18-0.png

2016 X 75D. MCU started acting up in May/June. Probably would've been sooner since I didn't drive it from March till end of May due to covid. Went out of Warranty beginning of July. MCU fully failed and would not turn back on no matter what end of July. Scheduled service. They kept pushing back appointment due to part not showing up. On appointment day, the car would not turn on. Had to have it towed to the service center on my own dime. Finally got it fixed as "goodwill" last week.

The MCU is still kind of slow (like map refreshes) and now the screen in front of the steering wheel takes about 15 seconds to come on when I get in the car. Are these things related? Should I take it back for further service?

Random MCU reboots several month.
Dead MCU last week, warning on instument cluster, car will not start,
took me 30min to finally reboot car (upper buttons and brake) after two failed attempts.

Service yesterday "We could not find anything" while report states "Could not connect to car,
rebooting car resolved issue. Continue monitoring for this issue". They waived my fee.

Came home from service, HomeLink does not work even after deleting user. Car stuck in
"Software update available, connect to WiFi" loop failing to recognize the WiFi it already connected to.
Deleted connection, reconnected, did MCU and car reboots, nothing helps.

Back to Tesla next week.

MS Software Updater Fail after 09-22-20 MCU attempted repair.jpg