Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Construction Started at Newport Pagnell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
At Service on M1 North (but map looks like the services are connected to local roads, so could maybe also use it Southbound). There is already a Supercharger just up the road at Northampton, but according to Supercharger Info the new one will be 12 stalls - so plenty of capacity.

At Service on M1 North (but map looks like the services are connected to local roads, so could maybe also use it Southbound). There is already a Supercharger just up the road at Northampton, but according to Supercharger Info the new one will be 12 stalls - so plenty of capacity.

That's bizarre - the announcement on the Welcome Break site originally said "Newport Pagnell (North and South)", then got corrected to "Newport Pagnell (south)", yet you now say the construction has actually started northbound!

the construction has actually started northbound!

I'm guessing Northbound based on zooming-in on the map co-ordinates (from Supercharger Info). Looking at Sat photo it appears to be the site of secondary Lorry / RV parking, so might well be relatively unused at present, but I'm guessing as it's not a site I'm familiar with.

supercharge.info

Looks to be a barrier on the local-road access too ... thought it unlikely that that would be possible ... so no access North-to-South

As someone whose only exposure to Newport Pagnell has been through its mention in a Morrissey lyric, I'm amused by the confusion between whether it's accessible North or South. "I traveled North, I traveled South, I traveled North again, I traveled South again, I got confused, I killed a horse..." And now the song is stuck in my head.

Its on the Tesla website too (as is Woodall Southbound) and on Supercharger Info - I missed the announcement there.

Tesla website shows 12 stalls

Used Woodhall Southbound a few days ago very impressive 372mph charging and 8 stalls. Slightly tricky to find - use on screen navigation and the entrance is on the rhs immediately after the fuel station and 50yds before rejoining the M1.

Used it yesterday Southbound just to the left as you come off the motorway. The entry for the Northbound driver who has crossed the motorway is next to the site and just requires a right turn - it would seem against the one way traffic, so be careful.

Having used Newport Pagnell southbound the other day I noticed one person finished charging and went out through the barrier to the local road. It wasn’t until after he left that I thought it would be a handy way to save driving 20 miles up and back for a local charge. Just need to find the PIN for the barrier;)

Having used Newport Pagnell southbound the other day I noticed one person finished charging and went out through the barrier to the local road. It wasn’t until after he left that I thought it would be a handy way to save driving 20 miles up and back for a local charge. Just need to find the PIN for the barrier;)
Almost all services, where they are on both sides of the motorway, have a road connection from one side to the other, and although they might say “Authorised Vehicles Only” they are generally happy for EV users to use them to access chargers on the opposite side.

I found this when we had the Leaf 24. Many, many times the Ecotricity chargers on one side of the motorway would be out of service, and we’d have to cross to the other side to access the other charger. I’ve even had cheery directions on how to get there from services staff. Also encountered very few barriers, at least that were down.

The one thing you’re *not* supposed to do is use it as a short cut to get to the opposite carriageway. I believe that is a penalty point offence.

I noticed one person finished charging and went out through the barrier to the local road. It wasn’t until after he left that I thought it would be a handy way to save driving 20 miles up and back for a local charge

There are/have been a number of places where that has been the case, particularly where there is a Hotel on one side. Several of those have overnight changed to have barrier installed / whatever and people getting caught out ...

Personally I'd be happy with Supercharger off-motorway at e.g. junction. That would allow all stalls to be used for both directions, and favour holiday traffic spike compared to half the number of stalls on each side of the motorway, and also no delay after one-side-done before other-side-completed ... but it hasn't turned out like that