Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports predicts average reliability on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CR has always had a subscription based business model and has done well with it, even now.

Lately I have not agreed with their assessments of Tesla in general, but CR is not biased by advertising dollars like every other automotive publication may be.
Right. Some of their assessments are problematic (like their recent comparison test of Bolt and Model S range), but it's not being driven by advertising dollars.

Whether their prediction is likely to be true or not is not the issue I have with them. They are a publication that purports to test products in an unbiased manner. By announcing a largely baseless "prediction" about a product they haven't touched, they are not only introducing bias, they're trumpeting it loudly. It smells to me like CR is trying to capitalize on the Model 3 publicity to gain more attention for themselves. "Quick! Everyone else is talking about the Model 3, so we must say something, too."

Right or wrong in their prediction, simply making it is counter to their self-proclaimed ethos.

Does anyone really think the early Model 3s will be better than AVERAGE for reliability?

Let's look at truedelta.com to see Model S and X repair frequencies, since some people on here think CR is anti-Tesla:
Model X: Holy schnikes! 2016 - 2017 Tesla Model X Reliability at TrueDelta: Real-world reliability data
Model S: Yikes. 2012 - 2017 Tesla Model S Reliability at TrueDelta: Real-world reliability data

CR giving the Model 3 a predicted "average" reliability rating is probably being too generous.

image.png

CR confess it is a predicted number. Predicted on what isn't clear.

Here's part of the answer:

"Tesla Model S owners reported their car’s reliability has improved in Consumer Reports' latest survey, giving the EV sedan its first above-average rating.

"Because of the Model S’s improved rating, the all-new Tesla Model 3 EV predicted reliability rating also has improved, rising to average in CR's rankings. That's because Tesla’s less expensive Model 3 borrows much of its technology from its bigger brother.

"Consumer Reports doesn't have data yet specifically from Model 3 owners, but it makes predictions on every new and redesigned vehicle based on the manufacturer's history and data from vehicles that share major components."

Tesla Model S Owners Report Improved Reliability

Does anyone really think the early Model 3s will be better than AVERAGE for reliability?

perhaps not, but then no one pays me for my opinion of something sight-unseen.

If CR would have come out and said, "Tesla has a history of producing "average" reliability cars (based on our customer surveys?), and we can only expect that the same will be true for the M3, but we really won't know until we actually see one", then that would have made perfect sense. Of course, that might not have sold any copies nor added value to current subscribers who pay for insights.

[full disclosure: I personally soured on CR after purchasing a couple of highly-rared "green" washing machines, both of which grew mold, crapped out and were expensive to repair.]

Last edited:
Lets take off our rosy colored glasses. I have a feeling CR is right about the reliability of the 3. After all, this is a young manufacturer who has never produced a "mass appeal" car before. There will be issues. After all, Tesla was suppose to produce thousands of model 3's by now, but Tesla only produced a few hundred.

Whether the soothsaying is accurate or not is beside the point. Their reviews depend on having bought and tested the product. Predicting reliability makes absolutely no sense, at least from CR.

The fact is CR has been on the path of sensationalizing their "reviews" for the last several years. There seems little reason for them to include the Model 3 other than to stir up controversy, and thus generate traffic to the site.

Reliability Prediction is an excepted engineering process and in my experience with communications equipment predicted reliability has been quite useful evaluating products over my career.
I really don't know how CR performs their analysis but if they use reliability predictions that are based on component failure rates they probably have a reasonably good idea of what the Model 3 reliability will be.
Over time the reliability of the M3 is likely to improve ...my rule of thumb with cars is never buy the first year of a refreshed existing model and never ever buy a first year new model .....:rolleyes:...

Reactions: bhzmark
...my rule of thumb with cars is never buy the first year of a refreshed existing model and never ever buy a first year new model .....:rolleyes:...
I also usually follow that rule of thumb (and true enough, the first time I didn't follow it resulted in a three year battle to have Nisxxx buy it back).

However, in the case of the Model 3, there is giving up the full $7500 fed tax credit to think about if one waits for the "second" year version.

If CR would have come out and said, "Tesla has a history of producing "average" reliability cars (based on our customer surveys?), and we can only expect that the same will be true for the M3, but we really won't know until we actually see one", then that would have made perfect sense. Of course, that might not have sold any copies nor added value to current subscribers who pay for insights.

I think that is what they did say?

CR’s predicted reliability for the Model S was rated “Above Average” by owners for the first time, and because the Model 3 shares much of its technology with the Model S, that improved reliability helps CR make that prediction for the Model 3. Consumer Reports doesn't have data yet specifically from Model 3 owners. However, the world’s largest and most trusted consumer nonprofit makes predictions on every new and redesigned model based on the manufacturer's history and data from vehicles that share major components.

“Electric vehicles are inherently less complicated than gasoline or hybrid alternatives. The Model 3 is the least complicated Tesla yet, and should benefit from what Tesla has learned from the Model S,” said Jake Fisher, director of auto testing at CR.

Reliability Prediction is an excepted engineering process and in my experience with communications equipment predicted reliability has been quite useful evaluating products over my career.
I really don't know how CR performs their analysis but if they use reliability predictions that are based on component failure rates they probably have a reasonably good idea of what the Model 3 reliability will be.
Over time the reliability of the M3 is likely to improve ...my rule of thumb with cars is never buy the first year of a refreshed existing model and never ever buy a first year new model .....:rolleyes:...
The Prius C's debut was also an exception, I felt, because it was actually built upon 3-4 years of experience with the Gen III platform.

Consumer Reports Responds to Tesla’s Complaints on Reporting, Research and Reviews

Late yesterday, Tesla shared with select journalists what appears to have been a prepared statement of supercharged and unsupported claims about the performance and safety of their own vehicles and our 2017 Annual Reliability Survey results, taking the occasion to air a number of grievances against Consumer Reports (CR) and our overall reporting on Tesla and its products.

Very droll, CR with the reference to “supercharged” claims, LOL

Consumer Reports Responds to Tesla’s Complaints on Reporting, Research and Reviews

Late yesterday, Tesla shared with select journalists what appears to have been a prepared statement of supercharged and unsupported claims about the performance and safety of their own vehicles and our 2017 Annual Reliability Survey results, taking the occasion to air a number of grievances against Consumer Reports (CR) and our overall reporting on Tesla and its products.

Very droll, CR with the reference to “supercharged” claims, LOL
Zing! Lol

I’m spoiled...owned Toyotas where I just changed the oil twice a year, replaced tires, responded to service bulletins, and never anything else. The one Honda I had was traded in as soon as it started being a pain.

I’m hoping the Model 3 will be about the same.