Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: Tesla Autopilot a “distant second” to GM Super Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, well safety regulations are brought to us by the folks who are working so hard to keep us safe from the COVID virus.......
Cars are way safer than they used to be. I suppose one could argue that it has nothing to do with safety regulations but it's hard to argue that the transparency created by the NHTSA (government) and IIHS (private) crash tests haven't improved safety. I think people have a right to know whether or not the system is actually safer.

Reactions: PACEMD
There are two types of Tesla owners. The "manuals" and the automation fans. There's not much overlap. The manuals seem to prefer the higher power cars; they're probably younger. To each his own.

For reasons I can't fully decode, the manuals who try NOA have countless problems that I don't have. I use NOA all the time, I pay attention, and I don't get "phantom hard braking" or any dangerous stuff. If I'm in AP/AS and need to take over, because of an ambiguous situation (and they do happen), that's insignificant, because I'm getting major relief from fatigue and nerves 99.9% of the drive. Simple arithmetic.

Currently if AS drops out I get a HUGE red steering wheel, LOUD sounds - and a pop-up that tells me to take over. It's been many months since AS would disconnect with only a beep and a pop-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: PACEMD
I def prefer Tesla... but I think this may be valid. Go read the thread about how people did the math that 12 ounces of weights hanging off the wheel is enough to trick the torque sensor.

I think changing torque sensor to an eyeball sensor would make current Tesla both easier to use (no need to apply light force to the wheel) and safer (say you do really pass out or try to read a book while driving)

Reactions: 1 person
That’s the part I was questioning. Is it true SuperCruise can only be used on pre-mapped highways? And there are less than 300 miles of mapped highways? If so, that’s ridiculous. What good is that system?

Personally, I like Tesla’s system of forcing me to keep my hand on the steering wheel because it allows me to see the sights while monitoring the self-driving thru interaction with the wheel. When AP is having a problem discerning lane markers it’s readily apparent thru the steering wheel and gets my immediate attention.

Thats exactly it, I can feel ap about to screw up earlier than my passenger can and can react much faster with my hands already on the wheel. For teslas operational domain I still think hands on is the way to go for the time being.

Reactions: rhumbliner
Cars are way safer than they used to be. I suppose one could argue that it has nothing to do with safety regulations but it's hard to argue that the transparency created by the NHTSA (government) and IIHS (private) crash tests haven't improved safety. I think people have a right to know whether or not the system is actually safer.

I'm wid youse........that wasn't entirely a serious statement...........

Last edited:
I'm not convinced those are the same people!

Not a serious statement that........or meant to be taken exactly literally......

My humor clues were a bit off. It also wasn't funny. Ok, that was a careless and stupid thing to say. I'm going out back now to have FSD shoot me..........and eat some worms.........

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life