Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: "The electric car that shatters every myth"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
200 miles per tankful of fuel is what I am used to in my 2011 Audi Q5 3.2T Quattro. It is a gas guzzler like you wouldn't believe. I get ~11.5 miles per gallon in the city, despite EPA ratings of 18mpg. Ha, the EPA must have tested their Q5 in a city that only has downhill roads.

So I don't have any range anxiety when it comes to thinking about getting a Model S. Hell, it's more range than I'm used to. And no 91 octane fuel to buy.

This is really a fantastic review, I've seen hundreds of car reviews from CR and they are mostly very muted and unexcited. You can feel how excited they feel about the car and its performance in every word they say :biggrin:

I've been reading Consumer Reports since way back when I was a kid when my parents had a subscription. Whether the reviews were for TVs, detergents, or vacuum cleaners - they were always the most critical, sobering, tough critiques you could imagine. Without having to worry about any Advertising support, the magazine could really tell it like it is.

But, far and away, my favorite reviews were always the car reviews. Gotta tell ya, after watching that 18 minute podcast, I've never seen these guys gushing over a product like this - it is SUCH a strong endorsement for Tesla. Even better, everyone from NBC to USA Today has covered CR's review because the news media treats CR as hard "news" - not infotainment. I counted over 300 press hits on Google news, this could really be a breakthrough moment for the company. The mainstream... not just early adopters, tech-lovers, or EV advocates... but, the mainstream will sit up and take notice.

And for growth to continue, that is the next step: mainstream adoption.

I've been reading Consumer Reports since way back when I was a kid when my parents had a subscription. Whether the reviews were for TVs, detergents, or vacuum cleaners - they were always the most critical, sobering, tough critiques you could imagine. Without having to worry about any Advertising support, the magazine could really tell it like it is.

But, far and away, my favorite reviews were always the car reviews. Gotta tell ya, after watching that 18 minute podcast, I've never seen these guys gushing over a product like this - it is SUCH a strong endorsement for Tesla. Even better, everyone from NBC to USA Today has covered CR's review because the news media treats CR as hard "news" - not infotainment. I counted over 300 press hits on Google news, this could really be a breakthrough moment for the company. The mainstream... not just early adopters, tech-lovers, or EV advocates... but, the mainstream will sit up and take notice.

+1. Very well said.

I just paid for a one year subscription so I could write a review (and get the services they offer too of course).

My experience and thoughts about CR mirror yours exactly. In fact, my engineer father practically worshipped CR as a reliable source of the unvarnished truth. Dad even bought a car from CR (we lived in CT and, at least in those days, they sold their test cars to the public after reviewing them), a 1961 VW Beetle that he owned well into the 90's.

So, yeah: the CR car guys' obvious enthusiasm for the S is a very big deal.

... - it is SUCH a strong endorsement for Tesla. Even better, everyone from NBC to USA Today has covered CR's review because the news media treats CR as hard "news" - not infotainment. I counted over 300 press hits on Google news, this could really be a breakthrough moment for the company. The mainstream... not just early adopters, tech-lovers, or EV advocates... but, the mainstream will sit up and take notice.

Even though I have tended to discount CR's auto reviews as too mainstream, I agree with you that this review is a huge boost to Tesla's mainstream market goal. Just googled "Tesla Model S" and now "CR - Best Car Ever" is the first thing on the screen. That's the kind of stuff that launched Honda's & Toyota's growth in the 80's when everyone checked CR's reviews and reliability scores before buying a car. Plus, more free advertising!

Even though I have tended to discount CR's auto reviews as too mainstream, I agree with you that this review is a huge boost to Tesla's mainstream market goal. Just googled "Tesla Model S" and now "CR - Best Car Ever" is the first thing on the screen. That's the kind of stuff that launched Honda's & Toyota's growth in the 80's when everyone checked CR's reviews and reliability scores before buying a car. Plus, more free advertising!

I agree, Sparky, this will be a nice mainstream push for Tesla. I'm the only Tesla owner locally and several people at work know I have a cool electric car but not much more. I have talked in detail about the car to a few people. Yesterday, on 2 occasions at work, people commented on the article, people, I assume, who aren't obsessed with Tesla. One guy I walked by and all he did was smile and say "99 out of 100 baby!"

It's amazing how much traction Tesla has gained in the public consciousness, just in the last 24 hours. I had three people come up to me yesterday to talk about the CR review, including one guy who's seen my S in the parking lot for seven months but never gave any indication before this that he knew I was the owner. And my financial advisor sent me an email after the market close yesterday, lamenting that he hadn't followed my lead in buying TSLA.

Hearts and minds, baby!

It's amazing how much traction Tesla has gained in the public consciousness, just in the last 24 hours. I had three people come up to me yesterday to talk about the CR review, including one guy who's seen my S in the parking lot for seven months but never gave any indication before this that he knew I was the owner. And my financial advisor sent me an email after the market close yesterday, lamenting that he hadn't followed my lead in buying TSLA.

Hearts and minds, baby!

Yeah, I have sent out a few articles to my family and friends. But after the CR article I had a LOT of family and friends send it to me (as if I didn't see it), as well as coworkers and friends that just know I have a Model S but don't talk to them (yeah I talk to everyone about my Model S some) much about it.

My mother in law has been playfully harassing me about buying it. She said I needed to wait for CR (she uses them to guide seemingly all her purchasing decisions) report. My wife says I should send her the video first, then the article. All the ammo she will have left is the price tag.

If weather really does make that much of a difference (which it "shouldn't") I am glad to be in California...

Weather makes a difference in every car. It's just that most cars don't have enough instrumentation to make you aware of it, so when you get a car that has some decent instrumentation it's a surprise--unless you have kept a logbook, then you'll know this already.

Weather makes a difference in every car. It's just that most cars don't have enough instrumentation to make you aware of it, so when you get a car that has some decent instrumentation it's a surprise--unless you have kept a logbook, then you'll know this already.

+1

I couldn't agree more. I've kept detailed fuel economy stats for years, and I could always see a difference between summer and winter. I never got so far as to seasonally-adjust my data, but the change was obvious.

Haven't seen this posted - article from Jalopnik with more background on the CR review:
http://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-s-scores-99-out-of-100-in-consumer-reports-498501639

The interesting addition - CR actually scored Model S 110/100, but took off 10% because of limitations of owning an EV (I find those limitations to be freedoms enough of the time that they are advantages, not limitations, but what would I know :wink:). Or put another way, " It's still the best score they've ever given, tied only with the 2007 Lexus LS but that car, according to Fisher, isn't even in the same league as the Model S."

Haven't seen this posted - article from Jalopnik with more background on the CR review:
http://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-s-scores-99-out-of-100-in-consumer-reports-498501639

The interesting addition - CR actually scored Model S 110/100, but took off 10% because of limitations of owning an EV (I find those limitations to be freedoms enough of the time that they are advantages, not limitations, but what would I know :wink:). Or put another way, " It's still the best score they've ever given, tied only with the 2007 Lexus LS but that car, according to Fisher, isn't even in the same league as the Model S."

Wow. Matt Hardigree begging to come in from the cold? Don't think so.

He is clearly angling for an official test drive. Tesla would be foolish to give him one. They gain nothing from it because he isn't exactly brimming with credibility. But more important, any time Tesla has relented after Matt playing nice-nice and provided an Elon interview or anything similar, Jalopnik (and especially Matt) has never failed to spew bile.

Wow. Matt Hardigree begging to come in from the cold? Don't think so.

He is clearly angling for an official test drive. Tesla would be foolish to give him one. They gain nothing from it because he isn't exactly brimming with credibility. But more important, any time Tesla has relented after Matt playing nice-nice and provided an Elon interview or anything similar, Jalopnik (and especially Matt) has never failed to spew bile.

Make him buy one like CR did. Valleywag and Jalopnik did nothing but heap scorn on Musk and Tesla. They took pleasure in Tesla's trials and now to act like they want a successful Tesla is disingenuous