Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumers disdain for “Self Driving”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are stating people don’t want self driving cars.
I read this article, and really think that the survey was conducted on specific people, that for a democratic they knew wouldn’t be fans of this technology.
Could be wrong, but even people I talk with that know very little about self driving cars, never dislike them.
This seems like another attempt by some industry, to thwart change.

They're actually stating that people's desire for self-driving cars hasn't changed. Most people don't want what they can't understand, and we don't yet have high-quality self-driving active on the road. Why would they want that?

Forbes coverage is crap. The most recent study was really focusing on whether people's attitudes changed during the change in driving habits wrought by COVID-19. The answer is, "nope." People still feel the same way, pretty much. It'll change when there's really good self-driving out there. To the degree attitudes changed, it was to care less about self-driving because they are doing less driving. That makes sense.

The "experts" in the survey all said the prospects for self-driving have gotten worse, but that's just a reflection that automakers tend to focus on what people want, and right now, people aren't wanting self-driving.

Here's the actual JD Power release about the survey:

Drastic Changes to Commuting Habits Have Minimal Effect on Sentiment about Battery-Electric Vehicle and Self-Driving Technologies, J.D. Power and SurveyMonkey Find

Reactions: M109Rider
People will like it when they realize how much money they could save by having 1 car per family instead of 2+.

This would be a disaster of a situation if the car needs to go to the service center, and judging by how long it takes to get any resolution, if it happens at all, there's no way most people can tolerate a 1 Tesla vehicle per family (assuming there's no other vehicle in household).

Pretty sure nobody wanted an electric car before Tesla showed that they don't all have to be like Priuses.

I enjoy driving, and used to drive stick a fair bit ago. Then I upgraded from a pure ICE to a Prius out of both ecologiclal and avaricial concerns. Cleaner and lower fuel (read: power) costs? Yes please! Kind of missed driving stick, but did not miss having to maintain a manual transmission. I really liked my Prius, and went from one to another as years went by. Then Tesla showed up and the only reason I was still driving a Prius was not being a millionaire. Then the Model 3 became a thing affordable by mere mortals like myself. I still recommend a Prius to people who won't or can't deal with an EV. But I do not miss buying petrochemicals to power my vehicle. And once we're at L4 or L5 autonomy sometime in the 2030s, I might miss driving day-to-day just as I miss driving stick sometimes now. But I don't lament it being in the past. From day one I always saw the Prius as a transitional vehicle between driving dinosaurs and potentailly having sun-powered cars. And I see Autosteer/TACC/NoA as transitional systems between traditional Cruise Control and eventual autonomy.

This would be a disaster of a situation if the car needs to go to the service center, and judging by how long it takes to get any resolution, if it happens at all, there's no way most people can tolerate a 1 Tesla vehicle per family (assuming there's no other vehicle in household).

Not really. Which do you think would be more expensive.
Renting a car as backup, if the Tesla is in for repairs, or buying a second car, with all associated costs, so you don’t have to worry about the once or twice a year rental problem. ?

Reactions: gavine and duanra
Yes there is autoland on some of them but that pretty much never getting used. Pilots like to land a plane using by hand.

Cat. III B autopilots are capable of fully automatic landing including braking and coming to a standstill on the runway. Most airliners and almost all bigger airports are equipped with this technology. Some airlines, like Lufthansa, encourage pilots to do automatic landings more often, mainly because it is safer. Without them airliners could not land in poor visibility, like under low clouds or in fog.

Pilots maintain their proficiency through regular simulator flights, where extremely difficult situations can be trained. I believe the majority of airliner landings on suitably equipped airports are automatic.

To my knowledge, Cat. III B autoland works without GPS. It uses ILS (Instrument Landing System) including glideslope, a radar altimeter, and perhaps also DME (Distance Measuring Equipment). Nowadays there may be a GPS-based version as well, because there are now GPS-based approaches for some airports.

Some much smaller aeroplanes now carry Garmin technology to allow a passenger to automatically land the aeroplane on the nearest suitable airport, simply by pressing an emergency button, in case the pilot is incapacitated.

Reactions: Clivew
Cat. III B autopilots are capable of fully automatic landing including braking and coming to a standstill on the runway. Most airliners and almost all bigger airports are equipped with this technology. Some airlines, like Lufthansa, encourage pilots to do automatic landings more often, mainly because it is safer. Without them airliners could not land in poor visibility, like under low clouds or in fog.

Pilots maintain their proficiency through regular simulator flights, where extremely difficult situations can be trained. I believe the majority of airliner landings on suitably equipped airports are automatic.

To my knowledge, Cat. III B autoland works without GPS. It uses ILS (Instrument Landing System) including glideslope, a radar altimeter, and perhaps also DME (Distance Measuring Equipment). Nowadays there may be a GPS-based version as well, because there are now GPS-based approaches for some airports.

Some much smaller aeroplanes now carry Garmin technology to allow a passenger to automatically land the aeroplane on the nearest suitable airport, simply by pressing an emergency button, in case the pilot is incapacitated.
Well, when the weather is half decent down to cat 1 minima, pilots land the plane. The autoland is mandatory from cat 2 and lower for a lot of airlines. The automation can give up on you during an autoland. Granted, most of the time it is a go around, however you must proficient in landing the plane in almost all condition, hence you have to do it most of the time.

In my case, we land the plane 99% of the time, and we do autoland in the sim for practice.

And yes, autoland cat 2 anyway just relies on 2 ils receivers and radar altimeter.

Reactions: Clivew
If “shockage” at human behavior was the bar, mother nature would have dealt with it long ago...

Uh, how does this help a family get to more than one place at the same time?

The one private car is used for when whole family is traveling or for a primary user. All other (mostly single rider) trips are by a much cheaper Tesla robotaxi or Uber/Lyft.
For most families the 2nd & 3rd car are much more expensive because of lower utilization yet still have high cost of depreciation & insurance.

Yes, there will be families that keep 2nd & 3rd cars but there will be a lot that can save thousands a year by not owning so many cars. In the past there were no options at all but in the near future there will be several.

Last edited:
Reactions: duanra

Why??? Is this some new problem??

Scrooge: Are there no loaner cars?? Are there no rentals??

Reactions: gavine
Let me guess, those same people pull their horses in big trailers with their diesel trucks...
Some of them....including me...yes. However, 95% of the riding is done here, though. I have an HPWC and NEMA 14-50 on site, and some of our boarders have EVs. 2 X's, 1 Y, 3 3's, and a Leaf
BTW the Cybertruk is useless for me. I need a fifth wheel vehicle, and so far, there is no joy for me. Even the proposed Ford F150 EV will be too lightweight. I need an minimum of a 3/4 ton - 1 ton preferred.

Not really. Which do you think would be more expensive.
Renting a car as backup, if the Tesla is in for repairs, or buying a second car, with all associated costs, so you don’t have to worry about the once or twice a year rental problem. ?

The thing with Tesla service centers, you never know exactly when your car will be done. Also, there are instances where you car is kept at the service center while waiting for parts, it just sits there for weeks.