Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't help thinking of the early settlers and explorers who spent many months to years in the wilderness with little to no human contact, under much harsher conditions than most of us can imagine. I'd like to drop all the mask whiners into the wild and give them a choice: Be free to not wear a mask or wear one and come back to civilization.

2020 - August Election Survey
Political poll of Pennsylvania but they asked several COVID19 related questions. I find the mask use question interesting. The school question is sad. Here a lot of the parents are sadly more interested in school sports than in how to keep their children safe.

Q20: Next I have a few questions about the coronavirus and the government response to the pandemic. First, would you say that President Trump has done an excellent, good, fair or poor job handling the coronavirus outbreak?

• Excellent………………………………17%
  • Good…………………………………….21%
  • Fair……………………………………….9%
  • Poor………………………………………51%
  • Not Sure (Vol)……………………...3%
Q21: Next, would you say that Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf has done an excellent, good, fair or poor job handling the coronavirus outbreak?

• Excellent………………………………10%
  • Good……………………………………32%
  • Fair……………………………………...25%
  • Poor………………………………………31%
  • Not Sure (Vol)…………………………3%

Q22: How much, if at all, do you wear a face mask around other people when you're outside of your home? Do you do this all the time without exception, most of the time but not always, a good amount of the time, some of the time, or never.

• All the time…………………………………..55%
  • Most of the time……………………………..29%
  • A Good Amount of the time……………6%
  • Some of the time…………………………….6%
  • Never…………………………………………......4%
Q23: When the school year begins do you think schools should open for in-person instruction as usual, provide a mix of in-person and online instruction, or provide entirely online instruction?

• In-person instruction……………………………….22%
  • A mix of in-person and online instruction…39%
  • Entirely online instruction …………………………28%
  • Not Sure (Vol)………………………………………......11%

Here a lot of the parents are sadly more interested in school sports than in how to keep their children safe.

Given that we as a country have had this attitude for at least 3 generations, it makes you wonder how the gene pool has shifted with things like this being the priority of our citizens.

Idiocracy, anyone?

I've posted previously on the forum about the two ladies who started the DIY Fix the Mask braces that were developed when covid was first making it's presence in the US. The designer was a former Apple mechanical engineer. They've been improving the design since sharing the DIY patterns and started a Kickstarter campaign I decided to get in on before it closed out this past week. Shipping begins in September but I'm at the end of the list so mine probably won't arrive until October sometime and will comment on them then. They are also planning on selling these on a website down the road. Figured I'd at least make people aware of it. The Kickstarter page shows the improvements they made to the DIY design particularly around the nose area.
Essential Mask Brace | Secure your loose-fitting mask.

I figure it will be helpful to use for a higher level of covid face protection with surgical masks, and even helpful for mask wear in wildfire smoke, which I'm unfortunately experiencing now but probably will again in the future here in California. While N95s aren't selling to the public at this time you can buy the surgical masks in stores now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3
....Here a lot of the parents are sadly more interested in school sports than in how to keep their children safe.....

Given that we as a country have had this attitude for at least 3 generations, it makes you wonder how the gene pool has shifted with things like this being the priority of our citizens.

Idiocracy, anyone?

Likely it's at least partially due to the low spread of illnesses like the childhood diseases people got vaccinated from as well as the more deadly diseases that spread in past generations around the world. Principle of "out of sight, out of mind" working. Also some of "it might happen to other people, not me". Sadly all to many families and counting have found out differently. And then there are those like the Q-factor and what can you say about those. Anyway wish others were capable of learning from others before it affects them or someone they love or others in their community that we all rely on being alive and well.

Normative errors and Surgisphere - Peter Attia

Greetings -

On June 4th, the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine retracted two high-profile COVID-19 papers after critics challenged the data in those studies. The Lancet paper found COVID-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were associated with more deaths and adverse effects, resulting in the World Health Organization halting its clinical trials that use hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 patients. The NEJM study found that certain blood pressure drugs, including ACE inhibitors, were not associated with an increased risk of death among COVID-19 patients. Last month, the New York Times profiled Dr. Sapan Desai, founder of Surgisphere, the company that supplied the data for both retracted studies. Desai is a co-author on both the Lancet and NEJM papers. The Times story should be a case study on the importance of “normative errors” and why they cannot be brushed aside in medicine (or, frankly, anywhere else).....

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Normative errors and Surgisphere - Peter Attia

Greetings -

On June 4th, the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine retracted two high-profile COVID-19 papers after critics challenged the data in those studies. The Lancet paper found COVID-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were associated with more deaths and adverse effects, resulting in the World Health Organization halting its clinical trials that use hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 patients. The NEJM study found that certain blood pressure drugs, including ACE inhibitors, were not associated with an increased risk of death among COVID-19 patients. Last month, the New York Times profiled Dr. Sapan Desai, founder of Surgisphere, the company that supplied the data for both retracted studies. Desai is a co-author on both the Lancet and NEJM papers. The Times story should be a case study on the importance of “normative errors” and why they cannot be brushed aside in medicine (or, frankly, anywhere else).....

And this is why doctors and physicians are taught to look at the body of evidence as a whole, and not just rely upon one study. Try as a group might, there can be substantial errors in thought process in these complicated studies. As this points out, they even make it past review boards.

• Funny
Reactions: ChadS
I just do not feel good about this:
Trump to reveal coronavirus 'breakthrough' therapeutic, WH press secretary says

We'll see what the orange moron has up his sleeve come 6PM EDT, but given we have seen very little on the scientific front, I'm expecting some political theater, and not actual science.

I hope it’s not the thing the My Pillow Guy has been touting. Something based on oleander if I recall. That’ll make for some interesting emergency room visits if folks try to make their own “cure” with oleander. Similar to the people drinking hand sanitizer and taking fish chemicals.

I hope it’s not the thing the My Pillow Guy has been touting. Something based on oleander if I recall. That’ll make for some interesting emergency room visits if folks try to make their own “cure” with oleander. Similar to the people drinking hand sanitizer and taking fish chemicals.
Nothing wrong with an herbal cure. Don't you treat your own cardiac disease with foxglove? :rolleyes:

I just do not feel good about this:
Trump to reveal coronavirus 'breakthrough' therapeutic, WH press secretary says

We'll see what the orange moron has up his sleeve come 6PM EDT, but given we have seen very little on the scientific front, I'm expecting some political theater, and not actual science.

I suspect only those remaining loyal to Trump will see this as any kind of breakthrough or positive news. Of course it's possible he could announce that the United States is purchasing the Russian vaccine. But I'm not sure how that gets him around the FDA. Unless he replaces Steven Hahn. And that wouldn't exactly help the election narrative that Trump is not in Putin's back pocket. Then again it seems as though Trump has given up on anything except the hardest of his hardcore base.

Reactions: madodel
Reactions: dfwatt