Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.

Wishing you and your family well, and a complete recovery.

I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.

I hope you and your wife recover soon!

General observation: if your wife picked up the virus at work and then infected you, how is it possible that you both developed symptoms at about the same time? The assumption so far has been that the virus can only be transferred when someone has symptoms and that the incubation time for the next carrier is at least a few days. Any thoughts?

I hope you and your wife recover soon!

General observation: if your wife picked up the virus at work and then infected you, how is it possible that you both developed symptoms at about the same time? The assumption so far has been that the virus can only be transferred when someone has symptoms and that the incubation time for the next carrier is at least a few days. Any thoughts?

Asymptomatic transmission. Viral load is heaviest within the 4 day period before symptoms show up. According to one study.

Cue doctors who shows another studies that contradicts this in 3...2...1...

Two people who went to RSA security conference test positive for COVID-19 - this was held in San Francisco. By the time it started, numerous companies had pulled out (per Verizon just became the third major sponsor to pull out of one of the biggest cybersecurity events of the year over coronavirus fears, IBM, AT&T, Verizon, etc.)

One of the people diagnosed is a 45-year-old engineer from Connecticut, according to a Tuesday report by Bloomberg. This person began experiencing symptoms when he returned to his home in Connecticut from the conference on Feb. 28, according to the report. He was hospitalized on March 6, and is now in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator in "guarded condition," his wife told Bloomberg. He had a heart condition and was predisposed for pneumonia, the report said.
https://www.cnet.com/news/two-people-who-went-to-rsa-security-conference-test-positive-for-covid-19/
speaking of buffets, good to hear this is happening:

MGM Resorts will temporarily close buffets amid coronavirus concerns

MGM Resorts International says they will be temporarily closing their buffets at ARIA, Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, The Mirage, Luxor and Excalibur amid coronavirus concerns.
The changes will go into effect on Sunday, March 15, according to their Public Relations department.
The closures are temporary and MGM says it will be evaluated on a weekly basis.
On this note, my work changed from buffets to having the lunches put in boxes. And, for some other items, a gloved person serves you instead of serving yourself.

Also, we've been receiving more and more emails prodding us (not quite a mandate yet) to work from home. The wording has gotten stronger over the days. For some job functions, it is actually a lot of extra overhead/loss of efficiency to WFH, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about Snapdragon's case. :( I'm guessing he has/had something to w/Qualcomm?

Reactions: Eugene Ash
All the best! I had it, mild issues, but the majori
Two people who went to RSA security conference test positive for COVID-19 - this was held in San Francisco. By the time it started, numerous companies had pulled out (per Verizon just became the third major sponsor to pull out of one of the biggest cybersecurity events of the year over coronavirus fears, IBM, AT&T, Verizon, etc.)

On this note, my work changed from buffets to having the lunches put in boxes. And, for some other items, a gloved person serves you instead of serving yourself.

Also, we've been receiving more and more emails prodding us (not quite a mandate yet) to work from home. The wording has gotten stronger over the days. For some job functions, it is actually a lot of extra overhead/loss of efficiency to WFH, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about Snapdragon's case. :( I'm guessing he has/had something to w/Qualcomm?
Most conferences in europe are cancelled. Today microsoft ignite on tour should have happend, it’s cancelled. Strange that there are still conferences going on in the us. Oh wait what’s the name of the guy in the white house? He is with his age in the risk category? :)

Most conferences in europe are cancelled. Today microsoft ignite on tour should have happend, it’s cancelled. Strange that there are still conferences going on in the us. Oh wait what’s the name of the guy in the white house? He is with his age in the risk category? :)
Actually, quite a few US conferences have also been canceled or "postponed". Here's an incomplete list of just tech conference: Gartner cancels events, Dell World goes virtual due to coronavirus: 2020 tech conference cancellations and travel bans | ZDNet.

European stats update.

I'll start with the 'good' news:

Code:
# "Italy" daily new infections log:
Feb 19:     0 new cases,      1 total cases (   +0%)
Feb 20:     0 new cases,      1 total cases (   +0%)
Feb 21:    16 new cases,     17 total cases (+88.8%)
Feb 22:    59 new cases,     76 total cases (+76.6%)
Feb 24:   149 new cases,    225 total cases (+65.9%)  ##
Feb 25:    97 new cases,    322 total cases (+30.0%)  #
Feb 26:   131 new cases,    453 total cases (+28.8%)  #
Feb 27:   208 new cases,    661 total cases (+31.4%)  ###
Feb 28:   246 new cases,    907 total cases (+27.0%)  ###
Feb 29:   247 new cases,   1154 total cases (+21.3%)  ###
Mar 01:   572 new cases,   1726 total cases (+33.1%)  ########
Mar 02:   354 new cases,   2080 total cases (+17.0%)  #####
Mar 03:   495 new cases,   2575 total cases (+19.2%)  #######
Mar 04:   605 new cases,   3180 total cases (+19.0%)  #########
Mar 05:   784 new cases,   3964 total cases (+19.7%)  ###########
Mar 06:   821 new cases,   4785 total cases (+17.1%)  ############
Mar 07:  1249 new cases,   6034 total cases (+20.6%)  ##################
Mar 08:  1499 new cases,   7533 total cases (+19.8%)  ######################
Mar 09:  1797 new cases,   9330 total cases (+19.2%)  ##########################
Mar 10:   977 new cases,  10307 total cases ( +9.4%)  ##############

While Italy crossed the 10k cases boundary, the 9.4% daily growth yesterday might already be the effects of the heightened public awareness and containment efforts.

On the flip side, even if this is the peak in Italy (which it might not be), and even with good containment efforts, the caseload will probably increase by another 50% from here on - i.e. we might cross the 15k cases boundary in Italy.

From the other big European countries, Spain and France are still on the exponential side of the outbreak, and Poland has a suspiciously low caseload of just 24 total reported cases, which is implausible in the extreme. Guest workers from Italy are streaming home as we speak, and there's over 3 million of them ...

Germany and the UK are faring better, but they are still not on the robustly declining side of the epidemic curve.

Smaller countries neighboring Italy are struggling: Switzerland has a better response than Austria, and ski season, a big source of income for Alp regions, certainly exacerbated the situation. Austria only started shutting down select ski resorts yesterday ...

Scandinavian countries relapsed: Norway had a big spike yesterday, and Sweden isn't out of the woods yet IMO.

The Netherlands appears to be handling the outbreak well, despite being a big transit hub half of Europe is traveling through:

Code:
# "Netherlands" daily new infections log:
Feb 27:     0 new cases,      0 total cases (   +0%)
Feb 28:     1 new cases,      1 total cases (+50.0%)
Feb 29:     5 new cases,      6 total cases (+71.4%)  #
Mar 01:     3 new cases,      9 total cases (+30.0%)
Mar 02:     8 new cases,     17 total cases (+44.4%)  ##
Mar 03:     6 new cases,     23 total cases (+25.0%)  #
Mar 04:    15 new cases,     38 total cases (+38.4%)  ####
Mar 05:    44 new cases,     82 total cases (+53.0%)  #############
Mar 06:    46 new cases,    128 total cases (+35.6%)  #############
Mar 07:    60 new cases,    188 total cases (+31.7%)  #################
Mar 08:    77 new cases,    265 total cases (+28.9%)  ######################
Mar 09:    56 new cases,    321 total cases (+17.3%)  ################
Mar 10:    63 new cases,    384 total cases (+16.3%)  ##################

I'm wondering whether TMC locals such as @Right_Said_Fred could comment on how good the testing and containment efforts are in the Netherlands, are these stats a possible indicator that they are now on the downward slope, or is there still complacency and under-testing/under-reporting?

In general I think the biggest worry is Eastern Europe (Poland, Ukraine, Romania), which isn't showing up in the statistics right now, but which have both a more vulnerable population and underdeveloped health care systems. A lot of guest workers returning home to Eastern Europe, who are in a somewhat similar economic position as 'migrant workers' in China, but unlike in China, long distance travel from affected areas has not been shut down in Europe ...

Eastern Europe also features more authoritarian governments with a history of suppressing inconvenient facts and statistics - which is a compounding factor when responding to epidemics.

European stats update.

I'll start with the 'good' news:

Code:
# "Italy" daily new infections log:
Feb 19:     0 new cases,      1 total cases (   +0%)
Feb 20:     0 new cases,      1 total cases (   +0%)
Feb 21:    16 new cases,     17 total cases (+88.8%)
Feb 22:    59 new cases,     76 total cases (+76.6%)
Feb 24:   149 new cases,    225 total cases (+65.9%)  ##
Feb 25:    97 new cases,    322 total cases (+30.0%)  #
Feb 26:   131 new cases,    453 total cases (+28.8%)  #
Feb 27:   208 new cases,    661 total cases (+31.4%)  ###
Feb 28:   246 new cases,    907 total cases (+27.0%)  ###
Feb 29:   247 new cases,   1154 total cases (+21.3%)  ###
Mar 01:   572 new cases,   1726 total cases (+33.1%)  ########
Mar 02:   354 new cases,   2080 total cases (+17.0%)  #####
Mar 03:   495 new cases,   2575 total cases (+19.2%)  #######
Mar 04:   605 new cases,   3180 total cases (+19.0%)  #########
Mar 05:   784 new cases,   3964 total cases (+19.7%)  ###########
Mar 06:   821 new cases,   4785 total cases (+17.1%)  ############
Mar 07:  1249 new cases,   6034 total cases (+20.6%)  ##################
Mar 08:  1499 new cases,   7533 total cases (+19.8%)  ######################
Mar 09:  1797 new cases,   9330 total cases (+19.2%)  ##########################
Mar 10:   977 new cases,  10307 total cases ( +9.4%)  ##############

While Italy crossed the 10k cases boundary, the 9.4% daily growth yesterday might already be the effects of the heightened public awareness and containment efforts.

On the flip side, even if this is the peak in Italy (which it might not be), and even with good containment efforts, the caseload will probably increase by another 50% from here on - i.e. we might cross the 15k cases boundary in Italy.

From the other big European countries, Spain and France are still on the exponential side of the outbreak, and Poland has a suspiciously low caseload of just 24 total reported cases, which is implausible in the extreme. Guest workers from Italy are streaming home as we speak, and there's over 3 million of them ...

Germany and the UK are faring better, but they are still not on the robustly declining side of the epidemic curve.

Smaller countries neighboring Italy are struggling: Switzerland has a better response than Austria, and ski season, a big source of income for Alp regions, certainly exacerbated the situation. Austria only started shutting down select ski resorts yesterday ...

Scandinavian countries relapsed: Norway had a big spike yesterday, and Sweden isn't out of the woods yet IMO.

The Netherlands appears to be handling the outbreak well, despite being a big transit hub half of Europe is traveling through:

Code:
# "Netherlands" daily new infections log:
Feb 27:     0 new cases,      0 total cases (   +0%)
Feb 28:     1 new cases,      1 total cases (+50.0%)
Feb 29:     5 new cases,      6 total cases (+71.4%)  #
Mar 01:     3 new cases,      9 total cases (+30.0%)
Mar 02:     8 new cases,     17 total cases (+44.4%)  ##
Mar 03:     6 new cases,     23 total cases (+25.0%)  #
Mar 04:    15 new cases,     38 total cases (+38.4%)  ####
Mar 05:    44 new cases,     82 total cases (+53.0%)  #############
Mar 06:    46 new cases,    128 total cases (+35.6%)  #############
Mar 07:    60 new cases,    188 total cases (+31.7%)  #################
Mar 08:    77 new cases,    265 total cases (+28.9%)  ######################
Mar 09:    56 new cases,    321 total cases (+17.3%)  ################
Mar 10:    63 new cases,    384 total cases (+16.3%)  ##################

I'm wondering whether TMC locals such as @Right_Said_Fred could comment on how good the testing and containment efforts are in the Netherlands, are these stats a possible indicator that they are now on the downward slope, or is there still complacency and under-testing/under-reporting?

In general I think the biggest worry is Eastern Europe (Poland, Ukraine, Romania), which isn't showing up in the statistics right now, but which have both a more vulnerable population and underdeveloped health care systems. A lot of guest workers returning home to Eastern Europe, who are in a somewhat similar economic position as 'migrant workers' in China, but unlike in China, long distance travel from affected areas has not been shut down in Europe ...

Eastern Europe also features more authoritarian governments with a history of suppressing inconvenient facts and statistics - which is a compounding factor when responding to epidemics.

Sorry I had to move this post @Fact Checking. It really belongs in this thread.

To answer your question: The Netherlands is not handling this crisis very well. Still too much complancy on many levels of government and society. There are hardly any school closures, most people don't work from home, people still go to pubs and restaurants and too many events are still going ahead as planned. I am afraid we will keep seeing the numbers rise and will see hospitals eventually overflow with patients. It is just a matter of time.

To answer your question: The Netherlands is not handling this crisis very well. Still too much complancy on many levels of government and society. There are hardly any school closures, most people don't work from home, people still go to pubs and restaurants and too many events are still going ahead as planned. I am afraid we will keep seeing the numbers rise and will see hospitals eventually overflow with patients. It is just a matter of time.
Maybe you should close main thread, it became irrelevant as there are only discussions on Lexus ads etc, all necessary information for these days is here.

Last edited:
You say your symptoms are mild, but it is not like another flu. Can you tell how it is not like flu, besides panic in media?

Coronavirus: Wuhan doctor speaks out against authorities

This explains the background to a doctor in Wuhan realising what the new virus was and sending a warning to fellow medics.
The great tragedy is that because of the totalitarian government this virus got out of hand but ironically because it’s a totalitarian government once it did they took the extreme measures to control it whereas in democratic countries it may not have got out of hand in the first place but now that it has it will be harder to contain.

Oops, that was my intent - must have clicked back to the wrong thread. Thanks for moving it!

That's sad ...

I just read How the Biogen leadership conference in Boston spread the coronavirus - The Boston Globe which had been mentioned earlier.
Within days, though, the Biogen conference would be infamous, identified as an epicenter of the Massachusetts outbreak of Covid-19, with 70 of 92 coronavirus infections in the state linked to the conference as of Tuesday night, including employees and those who came into contact with them. That doesn’t include a cascade of individual cases in Tennessee, North Carolina, Indiana, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., and Norway, and suspected cases in Germany, Austria, and Argentina.

Crazy! It was only a two day conference!

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
I am currently debating whether I should stop sending my kids to school. I am worried why US is not taking precaution when the cases haven’t stopped. I am New York area and already one suburb has been in lockdown.

Partial containment’s won’t work unless everyone participates.

Am having the same debate here. The lack of vision in the school system is stunning. All I hear is, where will the children eat and who will provide daycare? Economics always trump biology until all of a sudden there are bodies piling up and then we get to hear The Who could have imagined line.

My kids don’t want to stop. They fear falling behind. Lol, I guess economics trumps biology in their case too. At least it makes more sense with them. Lack of experience and also low amounts of personal risk as the oldest is 15. What is our brainless politicians excuse?

Reactions: gene
Private hospitals are helping providing beds and intensive therapy for the current pandemic, especially in Lombardy.
The region is absolutely the most critical, look at the map: Coronavirus: la mappa aggiornata dei contagi in Italia, divisi per regioni e province

In Italy we do have a private health sector, and unfortunately it's been increasing in the last decades (mostly because of the bad influence that US provides :p), but it's mostly because of waiting times, and specifically for some things (eyes, teeths, etc.).
There is a public dentist, for example, or ophtalmologist, but when you need it you need it fast and you go to a private one.
We also have a special thing when a public doctor operate privately in the public facilities, and the government takes a share. For example, I go to my psychiatrist on Saturday morning like this.

But this is not the situation now, for serious stuff like this the public wins and it takes makes private clinics comply, giving them beds.
I don't really want to go find sources now, but I probably can in the afternoon.

Fiat temporarily stops plants in Italy
Fiat Chrysler temporarily stops production in several factories in Italy due to the spread of the virus epidemic. The factories in Pomigliano, Melfi, Atessa and Cassino were to be shut down for two days between Wednesday and Saturday, the Italian-American carmaker said.

The disinfection of the work and rest areas at the locations will be strengthened. This should support government action to curb the spread of the coronavirus.