Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I both got the updated vaccine 2.5 weeks ago. I was achy and a little tired for 1.5 days.

Just got back from an 8 day road trip to MN and WI. Started to feel odd yesterday with a runny nose, slightly sore throat, a little achy, and a little tired. No appetite so clearly I was sick! Tested today once we got back and I have Covid (two different brands of test). First time getting Covid that I know of.

Wife tested but it was negative (yeah!). We are sleeping in separate quarters tonight but same hotel room last night and 6 hr car ride home today.

Wife and I both got the updated vaccine 2.5 weeks ago. I was achy and a little tired for 1.5 days.

Just got back from an 8 day road trip to MN and WI. Started to feel odd yesterday with a runny nose, slightly sore throat, a little achy, and a little tired. No appetite so clearly I was sick! Tested today once we got back and I have Covid (two different brands of test). First time getting Covid that I know of.

Wife tested but it was negative (yeah!). We are sleeping in separate quarters tonight but same hotel room last night and 6 hr car ride home today.
Disappointing but not surprising that this vaccine seems to prevent infection about as well as the prior ones! Though hard to tell from a single data point of course.

Reactions: scottf200

FWIW, I had a slight fever about twelve hours after the Moderna updated shot. Gone the next day. No Covid so far, but I am pretty OCD about N95 and hand washing.

Disappointing but not surprising that this vaccine seems to prevent infection about as well as the prior ones! Though hard to tell from a single data point of course.
My impression was none of them were meant to prevent infection but to avoid "hospitalization" (ie. severe reactions) ... so I'm not surprised I picked it up as we were not taking precautions. We both reacted reasonably expected to the vaccines and have had all available shots (6 me; 8 her following Drs directions).

My impression was none of them were meant to prevent infection but to avoid "hospitalization" (ie. severe reactions) ... so I'm not surprised I picked it up as we were not taking precautions. We both reacted reasonably expected to the vaccines and have had all available shots (6 me; 8 her following Drs directions).
If you think about it, this is pretty obvious. Vaccines work by "tricking the body into" creating antibodies and T cells. If you have recently received a vaccination, there will be antibodies in the blood stream already which will start fighting off the infection immediately. If it's been a while, how sick you will get depends on how quickly the T cells can create antibodies compared to how quickly the infection can spread. In either case, if there are no antibodies or T cells that react to the virus (there may be some that are unrelated to the vaccine but still have an effect), you will get a lot sicker because the body has to learn about the infection and create antibodies and T cells from scratch.

If you think about it, this is pretty obvious. Vaccines work by "tricking the body into" creating antibodies and T cells. If you have recently received a vaccination, there will be antibodies in the blood stream already which will start fighting off the infection immediately. If it's been a while, how sick you will get depends on how quickly the T cells can create antibodies compared to how quickly the infection can spread. In either case, if there are no antibodies or T cells that react to the virus (there may be some that are unrelated to the vaccine but still have an effect), you will get a lot sicker because the body has to learn about the infection and create antibodies and T cells from scratch.
Well summarized. That has been my understanding all along. From reading and Dr insight as my wife navigated these past few years having an autoimmune disease for which she takes immunity suppression drugs. She has stopped taking them to let her immunity work better for a few days (week I think per her Dr past comments). We were obviously together closely for several days on a road trip including the confines of a Model X for hours at a time. I cannot believe she tested negative yesterday and is still feeling OK today. We are taking more precautions now to minimize the density of my 'bad' air output (ie. bathroom exhaust fan running and do-it-yourself Corsi-Rosenthal Box I still had assembled and stored in the basement).

Reactions: DrGriz and jerry33
Well summarized. That has been my understanding all along. From reading and Dr insight as my wife navigated these past few years having an autoimmune disease for which she takes immunity suppression drugs. She has stopped taking them to let her immunity work better for a few days (week I think per her Dr past comments). We were obviously together closely for several days on a road trip including the confines of a Model X for hours at a time. I cannot believe she tested negative yesterday and is still feeling OK today. We are taking more precautions now to minimize the density of my 'bad' air output (ie. bathroom exhaust fan running and do-it-yourself Corsi-Rosenthal Box I still had assembled and stored in the basement).
The X has a BioDefense filter which, when not in BioDefense mode, still filters 80% of the air, so the viral count reduced by a lot. Also most of the air on either side goes straight to the exhaust and doesn't circulate in the front passenger section very much.

Yeah. Just worked much better against infection before omicron.

And any vaccine should also have infection prevention as a major goal (it would help eliminate the illness). Obviously preventing serious illness and reducing long COVID and autoimmune dysfunction are much more important though.

Seems that current technology just isn’t there yet. Lots of work to do and unfortunate that efforts are not still being heavily supported to achieve all objectives.

Does this "T-cell booster" "Heat killed mycobacterium" vaccine have any merit?

I think he's talking about BCG. He is mistaken in that, of course, injecting anything like that can trigger an antibody response.

There are some trials going on regarding covid and other diseases, like he mentioned.

It remains to be seen if the effect is worthwhile.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and jerry33
I think he's talking about BCG. He is mistaken in that, of course, injecting anything like that can trigger an antibody response.

There are some trials going on regarding covid and other diseases, like he mentioned.

It remains to be seen if the effect is worthwhile.

My assumption is that any kind of breakthrough on YouTube is either bogus (follow the money), in the very early development stages (maybe next decade), or has a very limited sample set.

Reactions: DrGriz
So updated Moderna became available and two days ago we got that along with HD flu and RSV.

Moderna and HD flu went into the left arm, and I couldn't even feel it at first. Right arm got RSV. I felt that. Today and yesterday both arms are a little sore when I abduct them. I did feel a little tired yesterday, but we did a 27 mile bike ride with 3000 foot elevation change up and down, so maybe that's part of it. Otherwise, feel fine.

I've continued to test positive for the 9th day since my symptoms started (got it perhaps 2 days before that per my reading).
Wife continues to test negative. We do have a sliding glass door open a couple of inches and a guest bathroom fan running ~18 hrs/day.
I also have our Corsi–Rosenthal Box running 24x7 since my first positive test. Had left it assembled and just stored in the basement.
I'm sleeping on the couch still :)

F2oCa1G.jpg

7otpbRR.jpg

393A0rE.jpg

I've continued to test positive for the 9th day since my symptoms started (got it perhaps 2 days before that per my reading).
Wife continues to test negative. We do have a sliding glass door open a couple of inches and a guest bathroom fan running ~18 hrs/day.
I also have our Corsi–Rosenthal Box running 24x7 since my first positive test. Had left it assembled and just stored in the basement.
I'm sleeping on the couch still :)

F2oCa1G.jpg

7otpbRR.jpg

393A0rE.jpg
My wife said the home tests will keep being positive for days or weeks after you are no longer infectious as your body keeps shedding virus particles. Neither of us has tested again since the initial positive test 11 days ago (though we had symptoms for 3-4 days prior but were out of the country). She's been back to work seeing patients all this week, just required to wear a mask. Do you have any symptoms? I still have a cough but it's non-productive and with my chronic sinusitis I always have a cough, but both of us haven't had any other symptoms in over a week.

I started getting a runny nose/sore throat this past Tuesday night. Tested on Wednesday around lunch and was positive for COVID. I had a "pocket prescription" of Paxlovid and started taking it right away. Had a fever and chills Wednesday night, but started feeling MUCH better on yesterday morning (Thursday). Now I have no symptoms (Friday). Paxlovid is the sh!t and works like a champ. Just ignore the bizarre metallic taste it causes. I haven't had this year's vaccine yet, but have had all the previous versions.

Moral of the story: test early and get Paxlovid if you actually have Covid.

My wife said the home tests will keep being positive for days or weeks after you are no longer infectious as your body keeps shedding virus particles. Neither of us has tested again since the initial positive test 11 days ago (though we had symptoms for 3-4 days prior but were out of the country). She's been back to work seeing patients all this week, just required to wear a mask. Do you have any symptoms? I still have a cough but it's non-productive and with my chronic sinusitis I always have a cough, but both of us haven't had any other symptoms in over a week.
Thanks much for your input. I still have a runny nose but it is less (25% of highest/worse). Still have some minor phlegm (also 25% of highest/worse).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel