Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-4-14_0-7-4.png

upload_2020-4-14_0-7-38.png

There are 18 M people in NYC, plus a ton in Jersey that all got washed in CV for a month and infected what.....20-40% of the population? 15k of them are going to die.

Extrapolate that out and tell me how we possibly get to 2.2M nationwide. It's mathematically embarrassing we're still talking about it.
Haha. You're the one who brought it up!
There are 10 million people in NYC. Obviously it depends what percentage gets infected. It seems to me that in an "unmitigated epidemic" a very high percentage would get infected given how fast it seemed to spread in early March.
330M/8.4M * 15k = 589k. You get to 2.2M by changing your assumptions about CFR and the percentage of people infected.

How many nursing homes got hit in NYC and concluded? In WA, it was a 33% mortality rate. If none or few, then there's your answer.
My mom's 87 year old nextdoor neighbor tested positive 3 weeks ago and is fully recovered as of Saturday. They quarantined their floor for 2.5 weeks and just raised it Saturday.

Very high end joint, but they definitely had at least 2 cases I know of. Both recovered.

To me, NYC is essentially one giant nursing home. Tons of people elbow to elbow sneezing all over each other. Hence the wide spread after only a few weeks of normal behavior before lockdown.

Reactions: cusetownusa

That's a fantastic graph and chart. And it makes it clear that although the USA is still in a boatload of trouble, Japan and Singapore are in trouble too after some initial success at keeping R subscript down. Only South Korea has really controlled this thing. I don't trust Chinese dataand I suspect both their death count and infection count are significantly higher than their reporting.

Reactions: dhanson865
My mom's 87 year old nextdoor neighbor tested positive 3 weeks ago and is fully recovered as of Saturday. They quarantined their floor for 2.5 weeks and just raised it Saturday.

Very high end joint, but they definitely had at least 2 cases I know of. Both recovered.

To me, NYC is essentially one giant nursing home. Tons of people elbow to elbow sneezing all over each other. Hence the wide spread after only a few weeks of normal behavior before lockdown.

Tons of people elbow to elbow does not equal a nursing home. Where do you have your mom stored anyway?!?

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke and dfwatt
There are 10 million people in NYC. Obviously it depends what percentage gets infected. It seems to me that in an "unmitigated epidemic" a very high percentage would get infected given how fast it seemed to spread in early March.
330M/8.4M * 15k = 589k. You get to 2.2M by changing your assumptions about CFR and the percentage of people infected.

And I would say those assumptions are fairly conservative given that if you do nothing you completely bust Healthcare capacity and that means almost everyone that needs an ICU dies.

There are 10 million people in NYC.
Whoops, I had 18M for some reason. That must be the whole state.

The point still stands. Massive infection of all boros and jersey....only 11k deaths til now. Perhaps we'll see 16k in total. The math never gets us to 2.2M under any scenario, even if the entire nation were packed like NYC sardines.

We went through this. That report quoted mortality rates for 30-39 and 40-49 year olds that wouldn't occur if they stood around spitting in each other's mouths for all of March. The base assumptions were very wrong.

The point still stands. Massive infection of all boros and jersey....only 11k deaths til now. Perhaps we'll see 16k in total. The math never gets us to 2.2M under any scenario, even if the entire nation were packed like NYC sardines.

We went through this. That report quoted mortality rates for 30-39 and 40-49 year olds that wouldn't occur if they stood around spitting in each other's mouths for all of March. The base assumptions were very wrong.
You say things are wrong but you never explain which numbers you think are wrong.
There is zero chance the New York state numbers will stop at 16k. Just the people who are currently infected will make the number higher than that.

You say things are wrong but you never explain which numbers you think are wrong.
There is zero chance the New York state numbers will stop at 16k. Just the people who are currently infected will make the number higher than that.
We don't have any numbers, no one is testing. Everything is an assumption.

NY stands at 10.5k, NYC at 7.3k. I doubt well see NYC double from here by the end of May. Perhaps this calendar year if this goes poorly in wave 2.

None of your numbers can be used to calculate the mortality without mitigation, or an upper limit for it. You don't just have a math problem.

Herd immunity is often estimated to require an infection rate of 70%, if not more. Without mitigation or other measures, it will not stop spreading before that, just become maybe slower in some areas.

With an IFR of 1%, that is 2.3 million deaths,
with an IFR of 1.5% that is 3.4 million.

None of these numbers have been disproven or even seriously challenged. You certainly can't rely on them being wrong.