Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a sad note, my colleague Dr. Nicole Quick, former Orange County (CA) Health Officer decided to resign after getting death threats because she dared to order businesses to require customers and employees wear masks.

That is very sad. As far as I can tell, we could pretty much go back to close to normal, if it were mandatory for everyone to wear quality masks when in the vicinity of others. They seem to be quite effective!

Can't fix stupid, I guess.

On a sad note, my colleague Dr. Nicole Quick, former Orange County (CA) Health Officer decided to resign after getting death threats because she dared to order businesses to require customers and employees wear masks.

I saw that this AM. Absolutely despicable that people would act that way.

The attorney that doxed her should serve some jail time and be disbarred.

In New York State, the CFR for the deaths added in the last 1-2 weeks appears below 1%. That's a first I notice something like that there, perhaps NYS has succeeded in keeping the virus away from high risk groups.

New York Coronavirus: 398,828 Cases and 30,442 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

That is great to hear. I think it likely you are right that NYS has worked effectively to protect those in nursing homes, etc. who have highest mortality when infected.

My guess is that some portion of that mortality reduction may be due to gradual improvements in the effectiveness of medical treatments for positive cases who progress to hospitalization and for the worst to ICU. Does anyone know of studies or data that speak to this possibility?

No where else has this happened. This is in a liberal state as well!!!

Actually, I'll have to go dig it up, but another health official stepped down in the past week due to threats. I'll go search and post it when I find it.

Most docs are pretty non-confrontational and don't have the stomach for this.

Yes - I know I'm an exception and like my fights. :D

EDIT - found a few more:
Protesters call for Pennsylvania health secretary to resign
State lawmaker, protestors call for Dr. Levine to resign, Gov. Wolf praises her 'phenomenal job'

https://www.sacbee.com/news/article242799076.html

Calls for NYC Health Chief Oxiris Barbot to Resign After Rejecting NYPD PPE Request
State lawmaker, protestors call for Dr. Levine to resign, Gov. Wolf praises her 'phenomenal job'

If there were enough masks, the CDC would have recommended masks from Day 1.

In an ideal world, there should be free N95 respirators given to those at risk (with usability instructions), starting with folks over 70 in bad health for whenever out in public or when someone visits them. Naturally nursing homes workers would be next in line.

Prediction: The WHO will keep changing the score on asymptomatic spread for months to come. Sometimes for science reasons, sometimes for politics.

I do not see anything in a way of providing everyone with PPE. If there anything?

Here's interesting study on PPE from H!N! times, more than 10 years ago. Has right conclusions but apparently that's where it ended.

Policy Research and Implementation: Healthcare Systems, Standards, and Certification - Preventing Transmission of Pandemic Influenza and Other Viral Respiratory Diseases - NCBI Bookshelf

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Actually, I'll have to go dig it up, but another health official stepped down in the past week due to threats. I'll go search and post it when I find it.

Most docs are pretty non-confrontational and don't have the stomach for this.

Yes - I know I'm an exception and like my fights. :D

EDIT - found a few more:
Protesters call for Pennsylvania health secretary to resign

https://www.sacbee.com/news/article242799076.html

Calls for NYC Health Chief Oxiris Barbot to Resign After Rejecting NYPD PPE Request

Why it baffles me is that those other examples are for health authorities doing a bad job. Orange County case, she was trying to get ppl to wear masks, which is actually her doing her job right.

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude
I do not see anything in a way of providing everyone with PPE. If there anything?

Here's interesting study on PPE from H!N! times, more than 10 years ago. Has right conclusions but apparently that's where it ended.

Policy Research and Implementation: Healthcare Systems, Standards, and Certification - Preventing Transmission of Pandemic Influenza and Other Viral Respiratory Diseases - NCBI Bookshelf

What I think should happen is for each state to hoard manufacturing equipment for these PPE. Because hoarded PPE lose their effectiveness overtime in storage. Like the straps breaking apart, losing its ability to help the mask make a seal.

A mask making machine shouldn't take up much space in storage when you take away the conveyor belts and other non essentials. What's next is just hoarding the raw materials in a stable form.

Why it baffles me is that those other examples are for health authorities doing a bad job. Orange County case, she was trying to get ppl to wear masks, which is actually her doing her job right.

People are frustrated, and are looking for someone, anyone to blame. Plus, in the US there is a strong, ingrained, sense of not wanting to listen to anyone (stubborn arrogance).

That is very sad. As far as I can tell, we could pretty much go back to close to normal, if it were mandatory for everyone to wear quality masks when in the vicinity of others. They seem to be quite effective!

Can't fix stupid, I guess.

Unfortunately, I feel mask wearing will ultimately become an individual choice regardless of any requirement or recommendation in place—unless it is strictly enforced uniformly.
My neighbor who recently went on a business trip by air told me that once passengers board the plane, there is nothing the crew can do if someone decides to take it off. Yes, a non-masked passenger may be vilified by their seat mates, but that’s about it.

What I think should happen is for each state to hoard manufacturing equipment for these PPE. Because hoarded PPE lose their effectiveness overtime in storage. Like the straps breaking apart, losing its ability to help the mask make a seal.

A mask making machine shouldn't take up much space in storage when you take away the conveyor belts and other non essentials. What's next is just hoarding the raw materials in a stable form.
A couple weeks ago there was a story on 60 Minutes on CBS where a manufacturer contacted the CDC and said they had several unused N95 mask machines. All they needed was a go ahead to begin production. No one ever responded to him. This was deliberate incompetence.

I think the issue is having people trained to use the equipment, otherwise it's just that dust collector in the basement. Worst case is they are partially trained (the one hour training every year, with no real practice and production) so defective masks get shipped.

I feel mask wearing will ultimately become an individual choice regardless of any requirement or recommendation in place—unless it is strictly enforced uniformly.

Fines would be good for anyone not wearing one within 6 feet of a non-family member.

This was deliberate incompetence.

It is deliberate. I don't understand why. All it does is cost lives, dollars, and economic output.

I think the issue is having people trained to use the equipment, otherwise it's just that dust collector in the basement.

Yes. It takes money to train these people, and having a long-term contract with the government is what was requested by some of these manufacturers, so they didn't have to turn around and lay everyone off after 2-3 months.

I think today will mark the start of the second wave. I think we'll gradually see week-over-week numbers increase from here, at least for the next week or two (what happens after that will depend on measures that the states with problems take).

Looks like we have problems in: Arizona, Arkansas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and to a lesser extent, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, California, Alaska, and Utah. Oregon, Georgia, Alabama, North Dakota, New Mexico, South Dakota, Washington State and Nevada are showing troubling signs as well, which we need to watch carefully for trends (some of the blips may be due to localized outbreaks which are less of a concern).

I'm still hopeful that in response to the increase there will be more robust measures put in place (mandatory masking, etc., N95 masks and goggles recommended, and produced in large quantities) in the short term and we can crush the upward trend before it gets too far out of hand. Going back to being closed down is no longer really an option, so massive targeted active infection control measures are going to be necessary. Everyone should just pretend they are in a COVID ward of a hospital. I expect modeling of behaviors from the White House soon. ;)

Unfortunately, testing has not continued to scale up rapidly (by now there's really no excuse for not doing over a million tests a day), and that may result in us not being able to thread the needle on this thing (meaning: reopen earlier than might seem prudent, but just late enough to allow massive testing capacity to squash any outbreaks).

We'll see. It's still really on a knife's edge, and it will depend on the "legs" these ongoing outbreaks have under them, and how well tested they are - if a lot of infections are being missed, things are likely going to at least temporarily get out of hand.

Arizona, for example, even in the presence of increasing test capacity, for PCR testing positivity, has gone from 6% to 9% to 12% to 14% (14% is for tests collected between June 1st and 7th, still being tabulated) in the last 4 weeks. That's a troubling sign of increasing momentum. Hoping that the final summary of June 1st-7th will somehow come in with a lower average, but their hospitalizations and intubations have also taken a big step up. As the infection density increases, it's going to be harder and harder to keep it out of vulnerable populations.

Last edited: