Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my favorite quotes but his businesses aren't even ones that are hard hit by the pandemic. It's not like he's a bar owner or an airline executive.
He appears to be talking about some sort of fast antigen tests that they are testing (possibly to screen employees?). Maybe he is unaware that all the testing reported is PCR lab tests (there were some states mixing in fast antibody tests but I believe that has stopped). Whatever the reason, he is spreading dangerous misinformation.
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 6.54.28 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and madodel
Florida has gone over 10k new cases in a day. I have to admit that I was wrong -- I thought it would take until July 4

I've seen this error before, where it showed 10k in "Unassigned." About an hour or so later, it dropped to the various counties and then was 8k.

I'd give it a half day before trusting it.

But, unfortunate for Florida regardless--average age there is 42. That takes a lot of old people for a state with that high of a population.

Never mind that this comes up to 87. For some reason the guy's tracking spreadsheet doesn't quite match the totals.

View attachment 559488
Nice spreadsheet. AZ needs to focus on increasing those negative deaths :)
We have defended the airport and are smashing the enemy at the city gates!
Get your disagrees out. 676 deaths reported today. 819 last Wednesday and 998 a month ago.
United States Coronavirus: 2,779,953 Cases and 130,798 Deaths - Worldometer
View attachment 559423
US deaths are still declining, but the rate of decline slowed the past couple weeks. The former hotspots are nearing the zero bound, while new hotspots are now gathering steam.
Sweden cases kept climbing as deaths finally started to drop. I compare Sweden to USA because both countries did little to control covid-19.
I mostly ignore case counts, especially in places like Sweden that suddenly changed their testing policy. I'd also argue Sweden did more to stop COVID than the non-hotspot US. They certainly coordinated their countermeasures better. And I haven't heard of Swedish students holding COVID parties. Still, Sweden is 5th among real countries (sorry San Marino and Andorra) in deaths per million and they're on track to pass Italy this month. They're 10x Norway/Finland levels, despite very similar populations and geographies. Sweden expects a ~10% GDP drop this year, so it's not like those people died in service of a booming economy.

Elon Musk needs to grasp the concept (although he will stay wilfully ignorant) of the saying in science/academia: “Opinions are like a**holes, everyone’s got one”
Until you publish in peer review, your opinion is utterly meaningless, Elon.
And boy is it nauseating with his bunch of Third Row Tesla acolytes joining the daisy chain at any tweet he drops
Leave the science of the coronavirus to those who have a sh*t ton more POST-PhD knowledge than you, Elon et al
The reason so many rail against experts is due to their need to resolve cognitive dissonance borne from their own relative lack of education

Last edited:
Herman Cain, who was a speaker at Trump's rally in Tulsa was hospitalized today with COVID-19.

At some point was expecting to hear of hospitalizations out of that group. In any event wish him and his family a quick recovery. Unfortunate it seems to have to happen, but more cases like this that get publicized might help hit home how serious this disease is and get more people to wake up and follow the guidelines even if some think they don't need to. I honestly wish we could know how bad the spread was among those attending, numbers and outcomes.

I just looked for a few news stories on his condition and see from CNBC's article that he hasn't required a resperator. The fact that he had Stage 4 cancer to me was shocking knowing what we know about covid that he would have gone to that rally. Didn't really pay attention but anyone know if he has been wearing a mask. Former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain hospitalized with Covid-19 Oh just scrolled down and saw the photo of him there wearing no mask. Wonder if he still supports not wearing a mask to the Mt. Rushmore event to those that insist on going.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wdolson
I've climbed Rabbit twice. Going to be pretty hot this weekend. My chance of dying there would be probably be higher than my chances of dying from COVID. :p Unfortunately it's looking very hot in all the local mountains...

All mask non-compliers will be led on "fun" hikes to Rabbit Peak, Cactus 2 Clouds, or if they are really lucky, Picacho del Diablo.

Lies, Damn lies, and Stats ..

I took a closer look at the Arizona hospital beds situation, egged on by a change to how they count from June 6th.
The change in reporting was nominally undertaken to reflect the difference between standard ICU beds and 'surge' ICU beds. It appears that they decided to only count surge beds when they are in use. In addition, AZ does not count ICU beds occupied by Covid-19 patients, they only report total occupancy.

On June 6th AZ had 1567 ICU bed capacity. The report from today shows 1483 beds occupied which is 95% utilization of the June 6th bed inventory. The graph however, shows a ~ constant 11% bed availability. How ? By increasing the bed inventory, presumably by pulling from 'surge' inventory. The attempt to portray the bed situation as stable is achieved by dipping into reserves. Today AZ told Pinocchio Pence that they need 500 additional hospital workers. If they were talking about ICU nurses this could mean that they have 'surge' beds but do not have nurses to man them.

Bottom line: The AZ DOH website obscures the Covid-19 impact on hospitals, and even the hospital ability to handle an increased patient load cannot be discerned.

New Method for Determining Inpatient and ICU Bed Availability Launched Today
Arizona tells Pence it needs additional 500 health care workers as COVID-19 cases soar

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well thankfully Vanilla Ice cancelled his appearance at that concert on Friday. Hopefully it was completely cancelled. 2500 potential infections diverted. Hate to see so many young super spreaders. Austin is already in deep covid.

Vanilla Ice's Fourth of July concert canceled for some reason

So, from what I’ve heard through the grapevine, the 2,500 expected attendees for the now-cancelled (smartly by Vanilla) concert was possible due to technicalities. Venues aren’t allowed to be open. But, this place, has a restaurant on-site, Emerald Point Bar & Grill, and thus the entire place is considered as a restaurant, which are allowed up to 50% capacity.

Unlike other political scandals, the botched hotel quarantine is affecting people's lives

Among other tidbit's
'Genomic sequencing of this recent surge points to the virus spreading from security guards at hotel quarantine taking the virus back to their families, some of them large multi-generational households.'

'Other states have not had this spillage from hotel quarantine. Reports of poorly trained, subcontracted security guards have dogged the Victorian Government.'

'And then there is the unconfirmed salacious allegations that the virus was spread between the sheets, with guards accused of sleeping with people in quarantine.'

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD