Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ughh. Our county of 92k lost 5 more people yesterday. Sooo many people are still masking at the last second walking into stores, I'm sure only because they have to. And 2020 won't quit, she's added a possible hurricane just south of us. Time to mask up and go to work, you know, being 'essential' and all....
Sorry. I wish you well and safety.

County level links I have. Are others using any diff ones?

* globalepidemics org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/ - The Path to Zero: Key Metrics For COVID Suppression – Pandemics Explained
* covid19.biglocalnews org/county-maps/index.html#/ - https://covid19.biglocalnews.org/county-maps/index.html#/
* covid19.biglocalnews org/county-maps/index.html#/ - https://covid19.biglocalnews.org/county-maps/index.html#/

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4
One-third of COVID-19 patients who aren't hospitalized have long-term illness, CDC says

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged Friday that a significant number of COVID-19 patients do not recover quickly, and instead experience ongoing symptoms, such as fatigue and cough.
As many as a third of patients who were never sick enough to be hospitalized are not back to their usual health up to three weeks after their diagnosis, the report found.
"COVID-19 can result in prolonged illness even among persons with milder outpatient illness, including young adults," the report's authors wrote.
The acknowledgement is welcome news to patients who call themselves "long-haulers" — suffering from debilitating symptoms weeks and even months after their initial infection.
"This report is monumental for all of us who have been struggling with fear of the unknown, lack of recognition and many times, a lack of belief and proper care from medical professionals during our prolonged recovery from COVID-19," Kate Porter, who is on day 129 of her recovery, wrote in an email to NBC News."

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
View attachment 567715
Not necessarily true, as A/C removes a lot of particulate matter via trapping it with water vapor on the condenser (which then heads into a drain), and through any HEPA filtration that might be part of the air handler. Depends on the system, the flow rates relatively to total volume, a lot of variables.
I think you are talking about exceptions to a widely applicable rule

I'm wondering if that has happened in my county as well. Our (hospitalized) numbers have been rising daily for around a month and as of Wednesday hospitalized numbers dropped @20%. People were assuming these were recoveries although mum is the official word.
I see the drop in Covid-19 hospitalizations in the states I monitor. I cannot be sure of the reason, but it is *not* from decreasing admissions. One possibility would be that hospitals are discharging sooner, in accordance with revised CDC 10 day isolation guidelines. That is not a complete answer though since I would not expect it to affect ICU bed occupancy which has been dropping in lockstep.

Welcome to the era of trump data.

• Informative
One-third of COVID-19 patients who aren't hospitalized have long-term illness, CDC says

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged Friday that a significant number of COVID-19 patients do not recover quickly, and instead experience ongoing symptoms, such as fatigue and cough.
As many as a third of patients who were never sick enough to be hospitalized are not back to their usual health up to three weeks after their diagnosis, the report found.
"COVID-19 can result in prolonged illness even among persons with milder outpatient illness, including young adults," the report's authors wrote.
The acknowledgement is welcome news to patients who call themselves "long-haulers" — suffering from debilitating symptoms weeks and even months after their initial infection.
"This report is monumental for all of us who have been struggling with fear of the unknown, lack of recognition and many times, a lack of belief and proper care from medical professionals during our prolonged recovery from COVID-19," Kate Porter, who is on day 129 of her recovery, wrote in an email to NBC News."
Can't be. It's just the flu. :eek:

I see the drop in Covid-19 hospitalizations in the states I monitor. I cannot be sure of the reason, but it is *not* from decreasing admissions. One possibility would be that hospitals are discharging sooner, in accordance with revised CDC 10 day isolation guidelines. That is not a complete answer though since I would not expect it to affect ICU bed occupancy which has been dropping in lockstep.

Hospitalizations peaked two weeks ago in San Antonio (actually Bexar county, almost 2m population). ICU and ventilator counts have not started to decline yet.

upload_2020-7-25_15-16-42.png

• Informative
Our local numbers track with that

2515 cases, 21 deaths, 0.83%

It still surprises me every time I look to see that we have a local gap of no deaths between 65-74 years old. I guess 21 cases just isn't enough to fill out a random distribution.

View attachment 567667

nature abhors a vacuum apparently holds true even with statistics. Dare I say we have a 0 next to the 0-17 bucket.

upload_2020-7-26_1-5-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-26_1-7-18.png
    upload_2020-7-26_1-7-18.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 34
Did you listen to it?

It was interesting. Being a history geek I knew at least part of some of the stories, but it's always good to fill in gaps. Some of the stories were like James Burke stories where one case of the flu tilts the balance of world events like the peace talks in Paris. If Wilson had gotten his way WW II may not have happened.

One thing they didn't cover completely is that it's known as the Spanish flu because even though it started in the US, the US played down the outbreak because of the war effort. When it reached neutral Spain, it became a big news story there and that's how the flu got its name.

Psychologically I think the scars from this pandemic will probably be bigger. As they pointed out in the radio program, the news didn't really cover the 1918 flu that much. People definitely knew about it. My parents were born in the 1920s just after the pandemic, but they grew up with stories about it, including the death of my father's grandfather.

But people dying of infectious diseases back then was fairly commonplace and because it wasn't a global news story constantly in the headlines like COVID-19 is, it probably felt much smaller.

Richard Brodie published a book about 20 years ago on memes and how they can alter our behavior called Virus of the Mind. He spent a chapter on a parable of a fictional cable news channel called the Island News Network that covered an archipelago of several thousand islands with a few thousand people per island. Before the news network on any given island, there was someone killed by a shark about once a century. Everyone on that island would mourn the loss, but since it happened so infrequently, people didn't fear sharks much.

But then when INN came along and started reporting news from all over the islands, they started reporting on every shark attack, which was once a week or so. Shark attacks weren't any more common, but in a large archipelago 6000 small islands, the once a century per island becomes once every 6 days for the entire group of islands.

With all the news of shark attacks, people started to panic, even though the odds of a shark attack hadn't gone up.

Note in the case of COVID this is not like the odds of a shark attack. But the last pandemic the world was a much smaller place. Radio was in its infancy, so were movies (and silent), and the only news you got of the greater world was in newspapers which might have some illustrations, but not anywhere near as much imagery as we get in printed media today.

The pandemic hit most of the world hard, but it was a large number of isolated events with limited news what was happening with the pandemic beyond the local area. With this pandemic we have watched it wash over the world like one tsunami after another. First it was the outbreak in China, then Seattle, some bad outbreaks in Europe, then NYC, and now throughout the southern half of the US. To news junkies it's like doing 10 rounds with Mohamed Ali in his prime. On top of that there is a lot of other disturbing news going on between US politics, Brexit negotiations, many stories in China, possible wars brewing in many places, etc. This is a very weird year.

Symptom Duration and Risk Factors for Delayed Return to Usual...

Young people should not expect to bounce right back after a COVID-19 infection — a new study finds that about a quarter of young adults were still not back to their normal health weeks after contracting the infection, even if they had no medical conditions and were not hospitalized.

Symptom Duration and Risk Factors for Delayed Return to Usual Health Among Outpatients with COVID-19 in a Multistate Health Care Systems Network — United States, March–June 2020
Early Release / July 24, 2020

What is added by this report?

In a multistate telephone survey of symptomatic adults who had a positive outpatient test result for SARS-CoV-2 infection, 35% had not returned to their usual state of health when interviewed 2–3 weeks after testing. Among persons aged 18–34 years with no chronic medical conditions, one in five had not returned to their usual state of health.

mm6930e1_SymptomsRiskFactorsOutpatientsCOVID19_IMAGE_24July20_1200x675-medium.jpg

comment on reddit

I’m up to 130 days (symptoms began on March 18th) and still very much not up to full health and I wasn’t hospitalised from the initial infection.

Lungs are still struggling and if I have a day of even slight exertion (walking over 1 mile) I’ll be exhausted for the next couple of days. As there’s no real understanding of the virus and its long-term effects at this point my doctor has pretty much said there’s nothing they can do until more information is available.

Last edited:

Seeing a drop in hospitalization here in FL as well. Peak was 417 and now we are down to 358 for our health system. Decline started early this week. Coincides with 7 day moving average for FL cases which is trending down.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Seeing a drop in hospitalization here in FL as well. Peak was 417 and now we are down to 358 for our health system. Decline started early this week. Coincides with 7 day moving average for FL cases which is trending down.
It will be telling to see how the numbers change as things are opened back up and people get comfortable again. Thinking about 'Weekly % Pos.' in below FL chart. Also IL was locked down and then opened up with people relaxing more. Still manageable but you can see positives rise again. Below graphics from: Tableau Public

IL
n5qDq7W.jpg

I keep saying it, BRIC is supposed to be Brazil, India, Russia, China. Now California is trying to take the C position

https://i.redd.it/c1pfha7bw5d51.png

Well those 4 states make up 1/3 of the U.S population. So it's not a gigantic surprise a little more than 1/3 of all cases come from those states.

At least this puts the "only blue states" or "only red states" can get it under control. Both colors suck equally..lol.

Well those 4 states make up 1/3 of the U.S population. So it's not a gigantic surprise a little more than 1/3 of all cases come from those states.

At least this puts the "only blue states" or "only red states" can get it under control. Both colors suck equally..lol.
California, at 40M population is 11.9% of the US population and accounts for ~ 12.7% of the cases today
Florida, at 21.5M population, is 6.5% of the US population and accounts for ~ 14.25% of the cases today
Arizona, at 7.28M population is 2.2% of the US population and accounts for ~ 5.2% of the cases
... ...
You should calculate the other leading red states before you draw conclusions. You will find that the red states are ~ 2.5x worse than California.

Last edited:

Red and blue don't matter now. Absent a coherent, coordinated response, an outbreak anywhere can become an outbreak everywhere.
Robin

They protect the wearer only.

I'm much more in favor of masks without valves for the public. It is what we use and the lack of an expiration valve is really not noticed unless there is exertion.

Therein is the difference between the perspective of

Its an infection that transmit in the workplace.
Vs
In the workplace, its an infection that transmits.

One is the medical perspective, the other is WHS perspective.

California, at 40M population is 11.9% of the US population and accounts for ~ 12.7% of the cases today
Florida, at 21.5M population, is 6.5% of the US population and accounts for ~ 14.25% of the cases today
Arizona, at 7.28M population is 2.2% of the US population and accounts for ~ 5.2% of the cases
... ...
You should calculate the other leading red states before you draw conclusions. You will find that the red states are ~ 2.5x worse than California.

You also have to look at where the cases are cropping up. If go here and click on Daily Confirmed Cases
Per capita covid-19 cases and deaths

The parts of California that are having the worst outbreaks are mostly the agricultural counties. If you look at the cases through time you can see it start in the Imperial Valley (SE corner) in late May and spread first to the rest of Southern California and then up the San Joaquin Valley. Kern County, where the table grape crop is just starting to be harvested, the COVID outbreak there has become the worst per capita in the western US in just the last week.

In California there are some other hot spots like in Marin County, which is due to an outbreak in San Quentin. The Bay Area, which is the second largest metro area in California is not great, but is doing better than metro areas in other hard hit states.

In Washington, COVID is bad in the fruit growing region of the state. It started heating up during cherry picking season and hasn't died down. The two largest counties in the Northwest, King County, WA and Multnomah County, OR are averaging 8 and 9 cases a day per 100,000 people. Most of the Bay Area counties are just a bit higher than that.

The agricultural regions are having bad outbreaks because these are crops that require a fair amount of labor to pick and process (unlike most grains that can be machine harvested and processed), the farm workers can't social distance very well especially in the processing plants. The living conditions provided for the workers cram them together and there is not much will on the part of the farm owners nor the government to spend any money to make things any better for them.