Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, wasn't 50% about the target for herd immunity?

That’s for an Rt of 2 (threshold = 1 - 1/R). The exact threshold depends on the effectiveness (and consistency) of measures that change the R, as I understand it (I may not be completely correct here).

For these boroughs, in a completely unmitigated epidemic, it would likely have overshot to ~80%. The herd immunity threshold assumes a starting point of 1 infection. It doesn’t account for an epidemic that has momentum when the threshold is reached (you could imagine that if 10% of the population has the disease when 60% (say) threshold is reached, that that 10% will definitely infect some of the remaining 40% susceptible). The reason an Rt of 2 means 50% threshold is that theoretically that one person who would on average normally infect two people, would on average infect just one, because on average half of the people would not be susceptible. So the infections would begin to die out at that threshold.

In any case, these high seroprevalence numbers really show up the huge contingent on Twitter (including a Nobel laureate and (most likely) Elon) these days who are somehow convinced that outbreaks magically die out at 20% infected, due to herd immunity. That’s true when Rt is less than 1.25. So I guess technically they are correct. But look out when the masks come off and people try to party like it’s 2019. At 20% immune, you have to either have zero infections, or you have to keep Rt less than 1.25, via whatever measures you choose.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Any guesses for the over/under on the time it will take for the MLB season to be indefinitely postponed?

Apparently teams are staying in hotels open to the public, with weddings, etc.

My guess is about 3-4 weeks.
What is bizarre is they have millions to spend to deal with it in a population of hundreds and they failed to get through a week without a large outbreak. It is insane to think any schools can deal with it.

What is bizarre is they have millions to spend to deal with it in a population of hundreds and they failed to get through a week without a large outbreak. It is insane to think any schools can deal with it.

It's not about the money, it's about the commitment and buying into the simple stuff like social distancing, mask wearing, and surface sanitation (i.e. clean up the dugouts, have wipes available, etc.). They are cheap, but effective, solutions.

Reactions: jerry33 and dfwatt
It's not about the money, it's about the commitment and buying into the simple stuff like social distancing, mask wearing, and surface sanitation (i.e. clean up the dugouts, have wipes available, etc.). They are cheap, but effective, solutions.

I think the exposure of the teams to the community is more of an ongoing issue. It seems they’re ignoring that part. Unless they avoid locker rooms and all other indoor environments for the team, I don’t know how they will be able to prevent spread within the team once it is introduced from the community. Masks will help, but there are just too many opportunities in an environment like a locker room and similar team facilities.

The problem is, even if you don’t have much spread between players, you’re going to have constant exposures of players. It’s just really risky to be traveling all over the country constantly.

I guess it is possible they are going for herd immunity. That’s trendy, possibly because people think it is a 20% threshold.

Last edited:
Slightly surprised it is that high, but not shocked. I would have guessed 40-50%. Wonder how big these studies were relative to the 7000 tests (?) in India.
That study was PCR positivity rate early on in the NYC outbreak. Which of course was mostly a sample of people who were very sick. (https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa922/5868956?searchresult=1)
Highest seroprevalence in NYC was Morrisania in the Bronx at 43%. That's probably not a very scientific study though. (Coronavirus News: Cuomo calls for outreach to hardest hit low-income areas)

....As we spiral towards 250,000 deaths by the end of the year, the president of the United States is re-tweeting statements of a psychotic woman claiming that alien DNA and sex with demons are responsible for COVID-19, with Trump claiming that she is 'highly respected' and making 'powerful statements' about the pandemic. This is not a conspiracy theory. This is a psychosis. We have the president of the United States re-tweeting the ravings of a fully psychotic lunatic in the midst of a runaway pandemic.

I am hoping that I will wake up tomorrow and I will discover that this was just a bad dream.

View attachment 570146

I suspect like the one golf cart video tweet he retweeted not that long ago that he simply heard the drug mentioned and “not necessary to wear masks“ so retweeted. As we’ve seen before on many occasions he doesn’t seem to fully vet anything before putting it out there, more TV entertainer than presidential behavoir. But then maybe he believes all that. I kind of feel for his staff having to explain his support of this person. Nah LOL. Kind of fun to see them respond. Oh to be a fly on their walls when they have to plan how to counteract some of this stuff. This woman really takes the cake though and has provided some real entertainment. I couldn’t get through reading the article relating what she said and has said before without bursting out laughing. He sure knows how to side himself with some excellent people.

Last edited:
Agreed but with money they could hire people to monitor all that. Hire people to clean up after them. No school board can afford the testing or the people needed to clean and monitor.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
Well, wasn't 50% about the target for herd immunity?
It depends on the disease, but early on I was reading 70-80% was needed, though 60% is getting into the ballpark.

Sweden at 10%-13% from my reading over time.

27-Jul-2020
* Sweden hoped herd immunity would curb COVID-19. Don't do what we did. It's not working.
* Sweden's approach to COVID has led to death, grief and suffering. The only example we're setting is how not to deal with a deadly infectious disease.
25 Swedish doctors and scientists Opinion contributors

Sweden has often been considered a leader when it comes to global humanitarian issues, regarded as a beacon of light in areas such as acceptin
Sweden's COVID death toll is unnerving due to herd immunity experiment
Regardless of whether herd immunity is a goal or a side effect of the Swedish strategy, how has it worked out? Not so well, according to the agency’s own test results. The proportion of Swedes carrying antibodies is estimated to be less than 10%, thus nowhere near herd immunity. Yet, the Swedish death rate is unnerving. Sweden has a death toll greater than the United States: 564 deaths per million inhabitants compared with 444, as of July 27.

Get the Opinion newsletter in your inbox.
What do you think? Shape your opinion with a digest of takes on current events.

Delivery: Daily
Your Email
Sweden also has a death toll nearly five times greater than that of the other four Nordic countries combined — more than twice per million inhabitants. For a number of weeks, Sweden has been among the top in the world when it comes to reported deaths per capita. And despite this, the strategy in essence remains the same.

That study was PCR positivity rate early on in the NYC outbreak. Which of course was mostly a sample of people who were very sick. (https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa922/5868956?searchresult=1)
Highest seroprevalence in NYC was Morrisania in the Bronx at 43%. That's probably not a very scientific study though. (Coronavirus News: Cuomo calls for outreach to hardest hit low-income areas)

Thanks. That makes more sense. I didn't have time to chase the links yesterday, and as usual the headline was a bit misleading.

Agreed but with money they could hire people to monitor all that. Hire people to clean up after them. No school board can afford the testing or the people needed to clean and monitor.

I don't think the games are the major source of concern (though locker rooms are certainly a risk, and certainly transmission between teams can occur at games). It's all the 90+% of the time spent not playing where most of the infections will occur, both from the community to the team, and between team members, presumably. The community is where all teams will get exposed, and it doesn't really matter if there is transmission between teams or not.