Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brazil -- This is brutal. Sad.

25 of 27 Brazilian state capitals have ICUs capacities between or above 80%, 19 are higher than 90% capacity. #P1 variant is 2-2.5x more contagious.

03/16/2021 - Covid-19 Observatory points to the biggest sanitary and hospital collapse in the history of Brazil

nxFyT0Q.jpg

tM0LT1g.jpg

Santa Clara county is starting to play games with who gets the vaccine ( they don't want to join the state wide "myturn" program). So instead of waiting forever, I just signed up and got my first pfizer dose last Sat ( I'm not really in any of the categories). I had to drive to the location for a few hours, but it was worth it. Really, if anyone wants to get it, I think it's possible at this point.
@EnergyMax where did you sign up and how did you arrange for the vaccine? I'm in the same area, so this is very relevant to me. I'm also not in any categories (healthy normal weight 52 yr-old) but would like to find some end-of-day leftovers if possible. Thanks!

/TCP

A little more detail on allocations and shortfall of vaccine (this is a big deal, since it's slowing the ramp considerably...hopefully next week shows a huge step up):

This shows 9.2 million for this week.
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 11.44.51 AM.png

What Pfizer said:
"As a result of these improvements, we expect to increase the number of doses we make available for shipment from approximately 4 to 5 million doses per week at the beginning of February to more than 13 million doses per week by the middle of March."

So the 4-5 million per week at beginning of February matches, but the 13 million in the middle of March, so far, they are falling way short. Hopefully a step change like we saw from Feb 15th -> Feb 22nd will occur next week.

Last edited:
Just as some of those Nos and Unsures will get vaccinated, so too will some of the Yes drop out. We may reach > 60% vaccination by end of this year - but next 25% will be lot harder than the first 25% - and rest will be even harder.

Polling has its limits. I expect over time there will be 10-15% higher acceptance of the vaccine and we'll easily get to 75% from the current 67%, and with a little outreach, 80% should come relatively easily. That should be enough. I wouldn't be surprised by 80-85% vaccine coverage by the end of this year.

I think there's a lot of hesitance, and the lack of vaccine also discourages people and tends to make them say no.

In addition, when being asked whether you plan to get a vaccine in a poll, a performative "no" response seems pretty likely, based on partisan lean. But I doubt it will hold over time. I think it's just people being curmudgeons and sticking it to the deep state. Most of them don't really mean it! I can see 1 in 7 people being unpersuadable though. To the extent it ends up being higher, I suspect it will be people who know they've already had it, which is less of an issue (though not perfect of course, giving only 80% protection for a period of time).

You are just making a leap of faith. I'm firmly on the "show me" side.
Of course I am! We’ll see. It’s certainly an unknown - but you are also making a leap of faith. It’s just a poll - it only represents what people say - it does not represent people’s actual preferences (that’s how polls work). We’ll see how it goes. 75% will likely be plenty, but I think we’ll do better!

Here are 12 important questions and answers before considering getting vaccinated:

●”If I get vaccinated can I stop wearing a mask(s)?”

Government: “NO”

●”If I get vaccinated will the restaurants, bars, schools, fitness clubs, hair salons, etc. reopen and will people be able to get back to work like normal?

●”If I get vaccinated will I be resistant to Covid?”

Government: “Maybe. We don’t know exactly, but probably not.”

●”If I get vaccinated, at least I won’t be contagious to others – right?”

Government: “NO. the vaccine doesn’t stop transmission.”

●”If I get vaccinated, how long will the vaccine last?”

Government: “No one knows. All Covid “vaccines” are still in the experimental stage.”

● “If I get vaccinated, can I stop social distancing?”

● “If my parents, grandparents and myself all get vaccinated can we hug each other again?”

● “So what’s the benefit of getting vaccinated?”

Government: “Hoping that the virus won’t kill you.”

●”Are you sure the vaccine won’t injure or kill me?”

●”If statistically the virus won’t kill me (99.7% survival rate), why should I get vaccinated?”

Government: “To protect others.”

●”So if I get vaccinated, I can protect 100% of people I come in contact with?”

● “If I experience a severe adverse reaction, long-term effects (still unknown) or die from the vaccine will I (or my family) be compensated from the vaccine manufacture or the Government?”

Government: “NO – the government and vaccine manufacturer’s have 100% zero liability regarding this experimental drug”

So to summarize, the Covid19 “vaccine”…

Does not provide immunity

Does not eliminate the virus

Does not prevent death

Does not guarantee you won’t get it

Does not stop you from passing it on to others

If you’re over 70 years old, with additional health risk factors... the right decision about getting the vaccine is about 50/50, based on personal choice. For all others, there doesn’t seem to be much benefit to participating in an experimental drug trial.

I just want to throw out there that this thread is not moderated, and it is not likely we will start moderating it now (with the exception of things like racial attacks or something like that).

So, if someone posts something offensive related to this topic you do or dont believe in, please feel free to put them on ignore from a personal level. If you dont want to do that, understand that people are going to say whatever in this thread, and act accordingly.

if something does cross into racial attacks or something, that would be different, and subject to further action up to and including banning from the site.

I can see 1 in 7 people being unpersuadable though.
Case in point here, lol. There are always going to be f**king idiots out there. There's the people who are uneducated and need encouragement and education about the risks & benefits of vaccination, and then there are the fools who don't know their **s from a hole in the ground and are completely blinded by partisan nonsense. Haha, they don't mind increasing the risk of death to others. Funny haha. I suppose best to ignore; there's no sense having them drag others down to their level of idiocy; they'll beat you with experience after all.

Last edited:
Here are 12 important questions and answers before considering getting vaccinated:

●”If I get vaccinated will the restaurants, bars, schools, fitness clubs, hair salons, etc. reopen and will people be able to get back to work like normal?

Government: “No one knows. All Covid “vaccines” are still in the experimental stage.”

● “If my parents, grandparents and myself all get vaccinated can we hug each other again?”

●”If statistically the virus won’t kill me (99.7% survival rate), why should I get vaccinated?”

● “If I experience a severe adverse reaction, long-term effects (still unknown) or die from the vaccine will I (or my family) be compensated from the vaccine manufacture or the Government?”

Government: “NO – the government and vaccine manufacturer’s have 100% zero liability regarding this experimental drug”

Does not prevent death

If you’re over 70 years old, with additional health risk factors... the right decision about getting the vaccine is about 50/50, based on personal choice. For all others, there doesn’t seem to be much benefit to participating in an experimental drug trial.

Apparently the cure for stupidity is still pending.

But please, keep posting, your pedantic monolog is mildly entertaining today.

Does not prevent death

Shouldn't this be moved to the thread Rants R Us?

Seriously, you want a vaccine that makes you immortal ?
He'll only take a vaccine if it's 100% perfect and the disease that he's being vaccinated against is 100% fatal. I guess he's never heard of the expression perfect being the enemy of the good although in his case it's more like nonsense being the enemy of Common Sense.

Another datapoint on reinfection (after natural infection). 80% protection. Reinfection more common in older patients.

Based on antibody data alone, you'd expect vaccination to be much better, though it would depend on the variant to some extent (moderately to much higher levels, with less variation). How well it will work in real life, I guess we'll find out soon.

It's interesting to me that even single dose vaccines are more reliable than a natural infection in generating a response, but I guess that's due to muscular injection (?) and vaccine design (targeted at the most important part, maybe other factors too?). No idea really.

Last edited:
Brazil -- This is brutal. Sad.

Brazil population 213M; USA 332M
worldometers . info 90K yesterday and 84K two days ago

S2SAfY9.jpg

tv5CpwZ.jpg

We got our first shots of Pfizer around noon. They must use tiny needles because I couldn't tell that the nurse jabbed me (I haven't had a shot in years). Anyway, this evening my only "symptom" is soreness in an inch diameter area around the shot. It feels like a bruise. Not sure if that means anything. My wife, on the other hand, is apparently Conan the Barbarian. No issues at all for her. I could see her in a Hans and Franz voice thinking, you're such a girly man, feeling sore from such a puny needle. :)

A nice balanced look at the background behind the halt on the AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe. It does seem like there may well be some smoke there. But there are a LOT of possibilities - some of these problems could have been caused by COVID (seems like that would be easy to rule out though, with a COVID test), for example. Other scenarios exist too - it could be the vaccine (which certainly remains far safer than getting COVID, in spite of these issues)!

We'll continue to hope that nothing like this happens in the US (beyond the platelet disorder deaths (ITP) that have already occurred). Of course, the risk is extraordinarily low, regardless, but it's still not something we want! We're pretty lucky, in retrospect, that AZ botched their vaccine trial so badly. (Though most likely we aren't, and having that vaccine available would still save lives.) The AZ really does not seem to work well at all against B.1.351, though, so it's nice to not have to worry about that as much, too.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel

A nice balanced look at the background behind the halt on the AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe. It does seem like there may well be some smoke there. But there are a LOT of possibilities - some of these problems could have been caused by COVID (seems like that would be easy to rule out though, with a COVID test), for example. Other scenarios exist too - it could be the vaccine (which certainly remains far safer than getting COVID, in spite of these issues)!

"Say Not Of vaccine, Say With vaccine." (or was it COVID) ;)

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Another datapoint on reinfection (after natural infection). 80% protection. Reinfection more common in older patients.

Based on antibody data alone, you'd expect vaccination to be much better, though it would depend on the variant to some extent (moderately to much higher levels, with less variation). How well it will work in real life, I guess we'll find out soon.

It's interesting to me that even single dose vaccines are more reliable than a natural infection in generating a response, but I guess that's due to muscular injection (?) and vaccine design (targeted at the most important part, maybe other factors too?). No idea really.
Thanks for posting that Allen. Of course the interesting question and I don't know if they addressed this in the study was what percentage of the re-infected actually had a variant, as mutation of the spike protein can affect the epitopes for the antibodies significantly.