Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - why would anyone choose a 65% effective vaccine vs a 90%+ effective one ? Because they don't want to get 2 shots ...

Personally if I had got J&J first shot - I'd try to get a booster mRNA shot (not sure they allow that).

I chose it because it was the one available at the time, it wasn't because I didn't want 2 shots. 86% against severe COVID, Ill take it. But for the yearly I will definitely be going with one of the other two which was my original plan.

I chose it because it was the one available at the time, it wasn't because I didn't want 2 shots. 86% against severe COVID, Ill take it. But for the yearly I will definitely be going with one of the other two which was my original plan.
Yes - availability played a big part early on.

BTW, this story is similar to what I'm hearing from relatives in India. Lots of breakthrough cases - but mild symptoms.

Maher is now among the fully vaccinated people who have contracted what the CDC calls a “breakthrough case” of the virus. There is “some evidence that vaccination may make illness less severe,” the CDC’s website reads, which appears to be the case for the late-night host. As the agency explains, “COVID-19 vaccines are effective and are a critical tool to bring the pandemic under control. However no vaccines are 100% effective at preventing illness.”
1621041444452.png

If fully vaccinated. I agree that this is probably safe given current overall vaccination levels and rate of spread.

Still - I worry that this type of recommendation will give anti-vaxers the greenlight to just stop wearing masks everywhere, despite their vaccination status.

The guidance is going to cause a lot of confusion for people in the short/medium term.

If I didn’t know better, I would say that removing all the mask requirements is one last desperate attempt to “flatten the curve.”

I don’t think it will succeed though. Interesting to see all these businesses just dropping all requirements though (honor system policy)...I am a bit surprised places like grocery stores are not thinking of children and unvaccinated individuals, at least for the next 4-5 weeks or so until cases really get to very very low levels. Things are definitely going to get a bit more dangerous for unvaccinated people in the short term here. Hopefully cases continue to drop, since “no virus present” provides the best protection to everyone.

If I didn’t know better, I would say that removing all the mask requirements is one last desperate attempt to “flatten the curve.”

I don’t think it will succeed though. Interesting to see all these businesses just dropping all requirements though (honor system policy)...I am a bit surprised places like grocery stores are not thinking of children and unvaccinated individuals, at least for the next 4-5 weeks or so until cases really get to very very low levels. Things are definitely going to get a bit more dangerous for unvaccinated people in the short term here. Hopefully cases continue to drop, since “no virus present” provides the best protection to everyone.
This has always been the case - the "target" becomes the floor and we are always above / missing the target. Politicians are desperate to help their donors / improve their image.

If the IFR was reversed (kids instead of seniors being affected) - you can bet people would be a LOT more risk averse. People apparently don't understand that everyone gets old one day ...

Went to the food store today and was actually anxious that there'd be unmasked people but the sign requiring everyone to wear a mask was still on the doors and everyone inside had a mask on. As always a few people inept at wearing a mask, but that's expected. My wife thinks this policy change is too soon because people will flatout lie about being vaccinated. She sees too many vaccine refusers to believe people won't lie.

Went to the food store today and was actually anxious that there'd be unmasked people but the sign requiring everyone to wear a mask was still on the doors and everyone inside had a mask on. As always a few people inept at wearing a mask, but that's expected. My wife thinks this policy change is too soon because people will flatout lie about being vaccinated. She sees too many vaccine refusers to believe people won't lie.

We need to post storm troopers at building entrances to check Vaccine cards. LOL

My wife thinks this policy change is too soon because people will flatout lie about being vaccinated.

Most states started vaccinating everyone only in late April (or May). So, most of them haven't had the second dose. Would have made sense to remove mask mandate after most of them had second dose ... say June 1st.

Anyway, I guess this is the "carrot" being offered to people to get vaccinated. Atleast to people who are uncomfortable lying.

They should hand out $100 to get vaccinated. Will get most of the fence sitters join the queue in a hurry.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and Young
Ohio is doing five consecutive $1 million lotteries. That'll deliver a lot more bang for the buck than a straight cash handout, IMHO.
May be - but I think a bad incentive. Better to hand out cash to everyone, rather than one lucky person. They can also have that $1M lottery if they want ...

They might also attract different set of people ....

Michael Lewis: ‘We were incentivised to have a bad pandemic response’

Interesting (to me), a mixture of interview and book review.

A similar reckoning of the Pandemic and its response. Interview by Ezra.

Michael Lewis’s new book, “The Premonition,” is about one of the most important questions of this moment: Why, despite having the most money, the brightest minds and the some of the most robust public health infrastructure in the world, did the United States fail so miserably at handling the Covid-19 pandemic? And what could we have done differently?

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC
Most states started vaccinating everyone only in late April (or May). So, most of them haven't had the second dose. Would have made sense to remove mask mandate after most of them had second dose ... say June 1st.

Anyway, I guess this is the "carrot" being offered to people to get vaccinated. Atleast to people who are uncomfortable lying.

They should hand out $100 to get vaccinated. Will get most of the fence sitters join the queue in a hurry.

Around here (Vancouver, WA) everyone is still wearing masks indoors. I've done some household shopping this weekend and people were fully masked up in every store, though I did see a couple in the market the day before the mask mandate was lifted where she was wearing a veil like something out of the Arabian Nights and he wasn't wearing any mask at all. (They were both white and her hair wasn't covered, so I doubt it was anything religious.)

Reactions: madodel
Around here (Vancouver, WA) everyone is still wearing masks indoors. I've done some household shopping this weekend and people were fully masked up in every store, though I did see a couple in the market the day before the mask mandate was lifted where she was wearing a veil like something out of the Arabian Nights and he wasn't wearing any mask at all. (They were both white and her hair wasn't covered, so I doubt it was anything religious.)
People who are used to wearing a mask will probably continue to do so for a couple of weeks - afterall we all know a lot of unvaccinated people go around without a mask.