Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to be confused by various things GOP politicians did too.

But everything is explained by one thing - what motivates GOP base is the culture war. Anything and everything can be made part of the culture war by the politicians / media - and the base will follow. There is no particular reason to politicize masks or vaccines. But they align quite well with the culture war narrative - so were made part of it by the politicians.

DeSantis is planning a run for President in 2024 (if Trump doesn't run). So, expect him to be at the forefront of such efforts.

Well, we can all agree that they are definitely willing to die for their beliefs. This helps thin the herd and ensure they are not the majority. LOL

But everything is explained by one thing - what motivates GOP base is the culture war. Anything and everything can be made part of the culture war by the politicians / media - and the base will follow. There is no particular reason to politicize masks or vaccines. But they align quite well with the culture war narrative - so were made part of it by the politicians.

DeSantis is planning a run for President in 2024 (if Trump doesn't run). So, expect him to be at the forefront of such efforts.

The narrative is that one party wants to take away all your freedoms and force you to do things...
  • Forced to wear a mask
  • Forced to take the vaccine
  • Forced to drive an EV
  • Take your diesel truck away
  • Take your guns away
  • ...etc...

So, yeah, any mandate, guidance, or government suggestion is viewed as a conspiracy now. Even simple things in the name of public health during a pandemic...

Well, we can all agree that they are definitely willing to die for their beliefs. This helps thin the herd and ensure they are not the majority. LOL​
Well ... the truth is a lot worse.

Well, we can all agree that they are definitely willing to die kill for their beliefs​
My take is that people are easily influenced and politicians / media take advantage of this fact to cause conflicts in the society for personal gain. So, we are all victims of this.

It's not really the mainstream media. It's alt-media whose (often false) content gets forwarded through email, WhatsApp and Facebook.
Not really. Some of the most watched cable shows are at the forefront of the culture wars.

Yes, the niche media may be more extreme but culture wars are quite mainstream.

Infact, its not even one party. Both parties are happy to focus on culture wars (to an extent) because that helps them not focus on bread & butter issues.

I don't want to drag this conversation any further - but I wanted to drop this bit of news I just saw. Shows how a lot of things are interlinked, politically.

Among those charged is a former La Habra police chief and founder of a far-right group called the American Phoenix Project, which was formed to protest pandemic-related restrictions and has helped pushed the lie that the election was stolen from former President Donald Trump.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and JRP3
Came here to post this. Haha.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS BEING TRANSMITTED TO THESE UNVACCINATED PEOPLE.

I like how the nurse was desperately trying to stick a key to her neck and failing. Should have skipped the morning shower. On that topic, do these people ever shower, or are they naturally oily?

Refresher on the physics of surface energies...

If your skin is slightly damp from perspiration it will be sticky. Most people who have sat on vinyl or leather with shorts on know the phenomenon. A lot of those things people are sticking to their bodies are not magnetic, so it's not magnetism.

One poll I saw a month or so back showed DeSantis as the front runner for the 2024 nomination.

The narrative is that one party wants to take away all your freedoms and force you to do things...
  • Forced to wear a mask
  • Forced to take the vaccine
  • Forced to drive an EV
  • Take your diesel truck away
  • Take your guns away
  • ...etc...

So, yeah, any mandate, guidance, or government suggestion is viewed as a conspiracy now. Even simple things in the name of public health during a pandemic...

Next thing you know those evil people will start requiring people to wear clothes, ban dumping trash by the side of the road, as well as make murder illegal...

Not really. Some of the most watched cable shows are at the forefront of the culture wars.

Yes, the niche media may be more extreme but culture wars are quite mainstream.

Infact, its not even one party. Both parties are happy to focus on culture wars (to an extent) because that helps them not focus on bread & butter issues.

Both parties have had their lunatic fringe since the beginning. In a multi-party system these people would gravitate towards fringe parties that never get much power. That's the case in parliamentary democracies like the UK and Australia. But in the US it's join one of the two parties or be completely shut out.

The difference between the fringes in each party is that while the left fringe might be vocal on Twitter and occasionally get into a position of low level power, they rarely win high office. Over the last 20 years more and more of the right fringe have been getting elected to higher and higher office to a point where if you're not loony enough, you can't win high office anymore.

Back to the COVID situation, to the loonies everything means something deeper than what it appears. There are sinister forces afoot in the world and they are behind everything. A cigar is never just a cigar. So when we have an extraordinary situation crop up with COVID and we need to take drastic measures to protect the population they read all sorts of conspiracies into it. It's something that has had to happen many times throughout human history, but it has left living memory in the developed world. The loonies usually have a patchy education at best (either because they weren't paying attention in school or unlearned it later), so they usually are very ignorant of history.

The loony left tended to go overboard in their protective measures. The right wing loonies saw it as a conspiracy to take away their freedoms.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
Next thing you know those evil people will start requiring people to wear clothes, ban dumping trash by the side of the road, as well as make murder illegal...

The loony left tended to go overboard in their protective measures. The right wing loonies saw it as a conspiracy to take away their freedoms.

Ah... the good old days inn old Europe before sewer systems were developed... you just dump the water outside your 2nd floor window. Then the commies moved in with their crazy idea of a sewage system with the specific purpose to make us pay taxes! LOL

Ah... the good old days inn old Europe before sewer systems were developed... you just dump the water outside your 2nd floor window. Then the commies moved in with their crazy idea of a sewage system with the specific purpose to make us pay taxes! LOL
That really never happened except in isolated places and times. Overall it was illegal to do so and there was an industry to take care of the issue. There is a lot of misinformation about the past.

Hope I am wrong but looks like cases are leveling off (tricky to determine with just weekly reporting from FL now).

I’d expect another bump at this point, I think. Focused in under-vaccinated states. Hopefully deaths will continue to fall though (I still expect that - lots of deaths right now are lagged reports and long term hangers-on, I suspect). Maybe we can find a way to convince more people to get vaccinated. Vaccines work. 😔

Reactions: madodel and Norbert
Hope I am wrong but looks like cases are leveling off (tricky to determine with just weekly reporting from FL now).

I’d expect another bump at this point, I think. Focused in under-vaccinated states. Hopefully deaths will continue to fall though (I still expect that - lots of deaths right now are lagged reports and long term hangers-on, I suspect). Maybe we can find a way to convince more people to get vaccinated. Vaccines work. 😔

Yes, looks like we need more vaccinations to achieve herd immunity...including from people who don't think they are "at risk" themselves.

Mine, by the way, went very smoothly (Pfizer).

Two things
- Did they take in to account the fact that a lot of low carb people have diabetes ?
- Have they heard what’s happening in India ?
Model 3 adjusted for covariates in model 2 as well as body mass index (BMI) and the presence of a medical condition (diagnosis of any of the following conditions: diabetes, pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, coronary heart disease or heart attack, heart failure, cancer, prior lung disease, prior lung infection, overweight, asthma, or autoimmune disease).