Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, hoping we get below the lows of March/April, and that mobility is not substantially different enough and the virus more contagious enough that this new 100k cases a day is going to be the new normal.
Steep downslope now. Should get pretty low before the Fall/Winter wave!
I'm still trying to get COVID but only at a convenient time. I don't want it ruining any of my vacations.
1660328334180.png

I spent a week at the Jersey shore and almost no one wore masks, seems as if covid doesn't exist. I stuck to outdoor venues as usual.
The good news is that COVID seems very easy to avoid. We’ve had kids out traveling cross country on planes, visiting crowded zoo, hiking, swimming, no issues. Indoor rock climbing. Inside at work most days with plenty of reported cases. Just make sure to not get it, and that everyone in the home is sticking to the program, then you’re fine.

It’s just not apparently very contagious! Just have to mask up with no exceptions, in the required situations.

Seems like the hardest situation would be if you had kids. Otherwise I’m coming to the conclusion that it is basically a nonissue.

Either that or I have been lucky but that is not typical for me.

I spent a week at the Jersey shore and almost no one wore masks, seems as if covid doesn't exist. I stuck to outdoor venues as usual.
And yet, anecdotally, a number of people I know who've continued to wear masks in public have contracted it recently. And then there's the one friend who got it at an event in CA and said that in spite of advertising vax requirement and masking, nobody checked the former, or wore the latter.

But wait there's more, in addition to monkeypox, polio is now spreading in NYC:

know who've continued to wear masks in public have contracted it recently
I don’t know of a single person who wears an N95 or similar mask who has contracted the virus while wearing the mask. It’s presumably possible but seems pretty unlikely. Seems like it mostly gets in through deviations from protocol and then spreads at home.

Reactions: madodel and DrGriz
I don’t know of a single person who wears an N95 or similar mask who has contracted the virus while wearing the mask. It’s presumably possible but seems pretty unlikely. Seems like it mostly gets in through deviations from protocol and then spreads at home.
I hear you, and maybe their masks wasn't perfectly fitted, but one of them even wore N95 at outdoor events because of her medical risks and it looked tight to me. I've also never seen her son or husband indoors without a mask and neither of them had it. Fortunately, she's testing negative now, but still struggling with fatigue and muscle aches (3 weeks later). The number of people I know who've never had it is decreasing very rapidly.

I hear you, and maybe their masks wasn't perfectly fitted, but one of them even wore N95 at outdoor events because of her medical risks and it looked tight to me. I've also never seen her son or husband indoors without a mask and neither of them had it. Fortunately, she's testing negative now, but still struggling with fatigue and muscle aches (3 weeks later). The number of people I know who've never had it is decreasing very rapidly.
We've been diligent with masking indoors and have (as far as we know) uninfected. But as pointed out, mask wearing has gone down tremendously, including on airliners. So a given person's risk of exposure has gone up due to the behaviors of others. N95 (95% filtration) is not N100.

All a person can do is the best they know how.

If I knew I could get Covid, get over it, and be fine, I might stop masking as much. But I have seen enough long Covid. It can be bad or even devastating and I don't know my risk just now.

I hear wear you are coming from. I will play devil's advocate here:

As a former researcher, I would want to know prevalence of long-COVID by sub-type. I bring this up because around Omicron we saw a significant mutational event that resulted in COVID being more of a upper-respiratory than lower-respiratory disease.

Just food for thought, I don't think that data has been collated to date.

I hear wear you are coming from. I will play devil's advocate here:

As a former researcher, I would want to know prevalence of long-COVID by sub-type. I bring this up because around Omicron we saw a significant mutational event that resulted in COVID being more of a upper-respiratory than lower-respiratory disease.

Just food for thought, I don't think that data has been collated to date.
This just came to my attention yesterday. It is preprint and not yet peer reviewed, but I think it addresses some of your question.

Findings We identified distinct profiles of symptoms for post-COVID syndrome within and across variants: four endotypes were identified for infections due to the wild-type variant; seven for the alpha variant; and five for delta. Across all variants, a cardiorespiratory cluster of symptoms was identified. A second cluster related to central neurological, and a third to cases with the most severe and debilitating multi-organ symptoms. Gastrointestinal symptoms clustered in no more than two specific phenotypes per viral variant.

Anecdotal ... back from a long road trip where we went through 13 states and 4 provinces (map below to see which parts of the state) and we'd estimate 1 out of 200 people were wearing masks in public enclosed places that we were in (stores, grocery stores, visitor centers, businesses, hotels, etc). It was probably less if you counted groups of people ... ie. if one person in the couple or family was wearing a mask then they all were. -- that is to say a significant part of the public were done with mask.

WY1MmVX.jpg
Wow. That’s quite the long drive.

Reactions: scottf200
This just came to my attention yesterday. It is preprint and not yet peer reviewed, but I think it addresses some of your question.

Thank you, but unfortunately that stops a the Delta variant. I would like to see Omicron and later, since those are the variants with the significant shift from LRI to URI type infection.

This video takes a look at a number of studies in Qatar, all listed in the description. TLDR is vaccinations lose effectiveness after about 3 months compared to prior infection. Comment section is full of anti vaxxers.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it seems to me that the way he starts out is addressing prevention of symptomatic disease, which is misleading.

That was never the goal of Covid vaccination. Just like flu and pneumovax, the goal is to keep you out of the hospital and from dying. So symptomatic disease is the wrong measure.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I didn't watch the whole thing, but it seems to me that the way he starts out is addressing prevention of symptomatic disease, which is misleading.

That was never the goal of Covid vaccination. Just like flu and pneumovax, the goal is to keep you out of the hospital and from dying. So symptomatic disease is the wrong measure.

Spot on! Unfortunately this message has been lost on the lay public. I'm sure you have heard so many times "I got the vaccine, but I still got COVID."

My response has always been - "but you are still alive and healthy, that's the point of the vaccine."