Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They found that the unvaccinated people were 72% more likely to be involved in a severe traffic crash—in which at least one person was transported to the hospital—than those who were vaccinated. That’s similar to the increased risk of car crashes for people with sleep apnea, though only about half that of people who abuse alcohol, researchers found.

If that’s what passes for science then you guys are beyond hope.
What part of the study don't you like? They aren't saying that covid vaccination prevents accidents. Please share your concern.

A total of 11,270,763 individuals were included, of whom 16% had not received a COVID vaccine and 84% had received a COVID vaccine. It's not a small study, and the Journal is reputable.

For a start, everyone know that car accidents are caused by lemon imports from Mexico.
1671067520438.png

Are you living under a rock? Musk has completely alienated a huge number of potential EV purchasers with his insane anti-COVID lunacy and now right wing cult spewing. I'm not interested in cults of any sort but I expect nothing less from you with your endless attacks on anyone that isn't a true believer. I wish he were distracted and just played with his worthless new toy but Musk is a genuine liability at this point to Tesla and everything else he is attached to. That's the reality of his going over the deep end.
No, I actually live on top of the rock, fyi.

Yes, yes of course he’s alienated potential customers as he has from the very beginning of Tesla. I’ve heard all this before and for the last 10 years. Strangely, the predictions of Tesla’s demise continues to be wrong. Yes, I’m confident this time is different because someone said so.

As in yesterday and the day before and the year before, you have less than zero proof of just what percentage of those people would have bought in the first place or what percentage they represent of the whole. And you can’t ever prove it or provide hard numbers.

So, I’m not interested in your opinion being spouted as fact, nor anecdotal evidence easily refuted with opposing anecdotal evidence, but I’ll prick my ears the very second you can provide those hard numbers. And don’t think a poll will suffice.

As I’ve been clear several times over the years, I don’t think he’s perfect, I don’t support everything he does or says so you can mosey right along with your ridiculous notions about me.

What I take issue with is the atrocious behavior of those here hyper-focusing on him, following his every word and action just waiting to pounce on him, and then going on and on and on feeding their own anger and hate, whipping people up, creating a toxic environment where any rational discussion can no longer happen.

I’ll still be here next year and the year after and the year after. I wait with bated breath for this implosion of Tesla created by Elon.

For a start, everyone know that car accidents are caused by lemon imports from Mexico.

If your point is that "correlation does not imply causation", then you will be happy to know, when you actually read the paper, that they most heartily agree with you!

To wit:

A limitation of our study is that correlation does not mean causality because our data do not explore potential causes of vaccine hesitancy or risky driving.
Another limitation of our study is the lack of direct data on driving exposure in different groups. A 100% increase in driving distance, however, is unlikely to explain the magnitude of traffic risks observed in this study.
Our study has other limitations. The analysis does not correct for barriers in access to care or risk compensation that each bias results in the contrary direction.
The data do not examine the long-term recovery, quality of life, and insurance costs for those who survive initial injuries. Many vehicle factors remain unexplored, including speed, spacing, configuration, location, weather, and distances driven. The study does not test the reliability of COVID vaccination as a proxy for COVID vaccine hesitancy. The available data do not examine long-term trends, test at-fault liability, or assess measurement error that biases results toward the null.

These uncertainties are further opportunities for future science.

Nevertheless, the statistics show that there is strong correlation.

That wasn’t my point. My point was that lemon exports from Mexico cause traffic accidents and you conspiracy theorists had better get some better sCiEnCe together to prove otherwise.

I’m glad you took that the way it was intended.
We all knew you didn't understand the study or the science and couldn't provide any rebuttal, it was just amusing to see you expose yourself further.

Reactions: shinytop and DrGriz
Journal pre-proof manuscript in the journal Cell just dropped: "Alarming antibody evasion properties of rising SARS-CoV-2 BQ and XBB subvariants"

In summary:

The researchers first evaluated the neutralisation of these four new subvariants by sera from five different clinical cohorts.
  1. individuals who received three doses of the original coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) mRNA vaccines (3 shots WT; n = 14)
  2. individuals who received four doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (4 shots WT; n = 19)
  3. individuals who received one of the recently authorised bivalent (WT and BA.5) COVID-19 mRNA vaccines as a 4th shot after three doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (3 shots WT + bivalent; n = 21),
  4. patients who had BA.2 breakthrough infection after receiving two to three doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (BA.2 breakthrough; n = 14)
  5. patients who had BA.4 or BA.5 breakthrough infection after receiving three to four doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (BA.4/5 breakthrough; n = 20).
Quoting DG Alerts summary of the research (https://dgalerts.docguide.com/ncov-...covid-19-vaccines-including-bivalent-vaccines):

"The study demonstrated that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Omicron BQ.1, BQ.1.1, XBB, and XBB.1 subvariants were “barely susceptible” to neutralisation by sera from vaccinated individuals with or without prior infection, including those recently boosted with the new bivalent (WA1-BA.5) mRNA vaccines.

In addition, the study led by Qian Wang, Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, showed that these new subvariants were completely or partially resistant to neutralisation by most monoclonal antibodies tested, including those with Emergency Use Authorization."

Happy Holidays!