Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Journal pre-proof manuscript in the journal Cell just dropped: "Alarming antibody evasion properties of rising SARS-CoV-2 BQ and XBB subvariants"

In summary:

The researchers first evaluated the neutralisation of these four new subvariants by sera from five different clinical cohorts.
  1. individuals who received three doses of the original coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) mRNA vaccines (3 shots WT; n = 14)
  2. individuals who received four doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (4 shots WT; n = 19)
  3. individuals who received one of the recently authorised bivalent (WT and BA.5) COVID-19 mRNA vaccines as a 4th shot after three doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (3 shots WT + bivalent; n = 21),
  4. patients who had BA.2 breakthrough infection after receiving two to three doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (BA.2 breakthrough; n = 14)
  5. patients who had BA.4 or BA.5 breakthrough infection after receiving three to four doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (BA.4/5 breakthrough; n = 20).
Quoting DG Alerts summary of the research (https://dgalerts.docguide.com/ncov-...covid-19-vaccines-including-bivalent-vaccines):

"The study demonstrated that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Omicron BQ.1, BQ.1.1, XBB, and XBB.1 subvariants were “barely susceptible” to neutralisation by sera from vaccinated individuals with or without prior infection, including those recently boosted with the new bivalent (WA1-BA.5) mRNA vaccines.

In addition, the study led by Qian Wang, Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, showed that these new subvariants were completely or partially resistant to neutralisation by most monoclonal antibodies tested, including those with Emergency Use Authorization."

Happy Holidays!
Also mentioned that "the ACE2 affinity for these strains are similar to the affinity of their parental strains." Hoping that means that they will target upper rather than lower respiratory tract. At least, I think that is what it means. This time around, anyway.

In addition: the authors pointed out that “although infections may now be more likely, COVID-19 vaccines have been shown to remain effective at preventing hospitalization and severe disease even against Omicron as well as possibly reducing the risk of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (long COVID)."

Journal pre-proof manuscript in the journal Cell just dropped: "Alarming antibody evasion properties of rising SARS-CoV-2 BQ and XBB subvariants"

In summary:

The researchers first evaluated the neutralisation of these four new subvariants by sera from five different clinical cohorts.
  1. individuals who received three doses of the original coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) mRNA vaccines (3 shots WT; n = 14)
  2. individuals who received four doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (4 shots WT; n = 19)
  3. individuals who received one of the recently authorised bivalent (WT and BA.5) COVID-19 mRNA vaccines as a 4th shot after three doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (3 shots WT + bivalent; n = 21),
  4. patients who had BA.2 breakthrough infection after receiving two to three doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (BA.2 breakthrough; n = 14)
  5. patients who had BA.4 or BA.5 breakthrough infection after receiving three to four doses of the original COVID-19 mRNA vaccines (BA.4/5 breakthrough; n = 20).
Quoting DG Alerts summary of the research (https://dgalerts.docguide.com/ncov-...covid-19-vaccines-including-bivalent-vaccines):

"The study demonstrated that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Omicron BQ.1, BQ.1.1, XBB, and XBB.1 subvariants were “barely susceptible” to neutralisation by sera from vaccinated individuals with or without prior infection, including those recently boosted with the new bivalent (WA1-BA.5) mRNA vaccines.

In addition, the study led by Qian Wang, Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, showed that these new subvariants were completely or partially resistant to neutralisation by most monoclonal antibodies tested, including those with Emergency Use Authorization."

Happy Holidays!
And just to add some 'context' to this article - the current subvariant stats in the US show notable increase the BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 subvariants:
1671131530330.png

There are more scientific articles about this but just learned that our noses have better defense against viruses in warmer temps:

This could explain why people get sick more when it's colder and why masks are effective.

But... it could just be exported lemons.

Reactions: DrGriz
We all knew you didn't understand the study or the science and couldn't provide any rebuttal, it was just amusing to see you expose yourself further.
Wow you guys were serious. I guess that explains the current shitshow.

It’s a wonder they found enough unvaccinated people for that study since they were all supposed to die last winter.

When they release the full dataset I’ll go through it for you.

There are more scientific articles about this but just learned that our noses have better defense against viruses in warmer temps:

This could explain why people get sick more when it's colder and why masks are effective.

But... it could just be exported lemons.
There’s 100 years of science that says masks aren’t effective. Culminating in the WHO review in 2019 and the CDC review in 2020 that both said that masks were ineffective against respiratory viruses.

But if you think you can mask harder, be my guest.

See my profile pic. Still haven’t gotten Covid. :p
Thinking I should get a PAPR just in case there’s another pandemic.
I haven't had COVID, flu, Strep or bronchitis in 3 years now. KN95 whenever out. With all the respiratory illnesses now out everyone should be wearing masks, but all the rocket surgeons say they don't work. 3 years we've had them trolling here. They never give up no matter hw many studies have been posted here that prove them wrong.

I haven't had COVID, flu, Strep or bronchitis in 3 years now. KN95 whenever out. With all the respiratory illnesses now out everyone should be wearing masks, but all the rocket surgeons say they don't work. 3 years we've had them trolling here. They never give up no matter hw many studies have been posted here that prove them wrong.
Cloth masks are ineffective, at best 50%. Surgical masks protect the patient but not the doctor, they are still better than cloth masks. N95 respirators are 95% effective. However, the use of any type needs to be combined with frequent hand washing.

I’ve stopped so I do expect I’ll get it soon. I think I’ll wear an N95 for trips to crowded stores next week. Lots of stuff going around and I don’t want to ruin Christmas.

I wish someone would do a challenge trial of respirators and masks versus sars-cov-2. It would be interesting to see how well they really work.

Cloth masks are ineffective, at best 50%. Surgical masks protect the patient but not the doctor, they are still better than cloth masks. N95 respirators are 95% effective. However, the use of any type needs to be combined with frequent hand washing.
I guess you missed the latest study that said n95 masks are just as good as surgical masks.

And for almost 300years we’ve had equations to prove they don’t work. Published in Hydrodynamica in 1738.

Last edited:
In Germany they didn't allow cloth or surgical grade masks when they required masks. When we were visiting our daughter I wore my N95 and KN95 masks, which my wife hates since she has to wear them at work everyday but we went to a museum and she got turned away wearing a surgical mask. Anything is better than nothing but cloth masks are close to nothing.

Reactions: JRP3 and jerry33
I guess you missed the latest study that said n95 masks are just as good as surgical masks.

And for almost 300years we’ve had equations to prove they don’t work. Published in Hydrodynamica in 1738.
I suspect you are referring to the study discussed here:

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld