Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to add autopilot to SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.. anyone know how much it costs to add autopilot? I think I recall $3k at one point but haven't heard of anyone doing this. Is it pretty straightforward process? Just looking into it ..love the car without it but I've heard it's pretty sweet.

Note:It was easier to convince my wife to buy the SR...but I just got a raise so I might reopen negotiations with her.

Thanks!

Hi all.. anyone know how much it costs to add autopilot? I think I recall $3k at one point but haven't heard of anyone doing this. Is it pretty straightforward process? Just looking into it ..love the car without it but I've heard it's pretty sweet.

Note:It was easier to convince my wife to buy the SR...but I just got a raise so I might reopen negotiations with her.

Thanks!

I've stopped using AP because it's more work and stress for me to watch over it nervously and correct its potentially disastrous mistakes, and to have to move the steering wheel every 30 seconds to keep it happy than it is to just drive myself. And that's driving on clear days with good clear lane markers.

Honestly, I am shocked at how bad it is in many situations and wonder what kind of programmers and managers they have hired. It seems to have improved very little over the past couple of years.

I would read up on the posts that criticize the tech before buying it. There's a ton of them.

As a result, I would love to get a $3K refund to have it removed.

Like some, however, you may enjoy the headaches of it and blaming yourself for not using it correctly every time it makes a mistakes, but even as a life-long techie, degreed electrical engineer and ex-programmer, I am not entertained by this game of AP Russian Roulette.

Just think of the other things you can buy with that $3K.

I've stopped using AP because it's more work and stress for me to watch over it nervously and correct its potentially disastrous mistakes, and to have to move the steering wheel every 30 seconds to keep it happy than it is to just drive myself. And that's driving on clear days with good clear lane markers.

Honestly, I am shocked at how bad it is in many situations and wonder what kind of programmers and managers they have hired. It seems to have improved very little over the past couple of years.

I would read up on the posts that criticize the tech before buying it. There's a ton of them.

As a result, I would love to get a $3K refund to have it removed.

Like some, however, you may enjoy the headaches of it and blaming yourself for not using it correctly every time it makes a mistakes, but even as a life-long techie, degreed electrical engineer and ex-programmer, I am not entertained by this game of AP Russian Roulette.

Just think of the other things you can buy with that $3K.

Thanks...that's one of the other reasons why I didnt initially buy it. Appreciate the feedback!

In contrast, with over 15,000 miles on my car probably 90% of it is on AP (well, EAP) and it's been awesome.

Not flawless certainly, but vastly improves my daily drive (which is ~80 miles roundtrip, almost entirely highway) and any long road trips- it's the fundamental reason I bought the car.
I agree. I have over 13k on my 5/2019 SR+ and I use AP whenever I can. You monitor it as you should and it works really well. You learn to understand when it will struggle and either take over or adjust when it struggles. My four road trips up the east coast (1200 mile round trips) are REALLY easy with AP. I drive 45-50 miles round trip almost all highway and it’s great.

Reactions: zannman and SlimJim
My car has 24k miles and I drive nearly all of my freeway miles on AP. I find freeway driving to be much more stressful without AP. It frees up my attention from minute lane and distance keeping actions and allows me to pay more attention to my surroundings. It took a few thousand miles to learn which situations AP couldn't handle well and to be extra vigilant or disengage when in those situations. Then again, those first few thousand miles were on v8 firmware, so if you think v10 is bad....

I'm also probably at the 90% autopilot situation with over 25,000 miles. I now fear driving any other car that doesn't have autopilot because of how valuable it is on most of my drives.

My question to SR owners, is it still $7k to jump from no AP to FSD or is it $3k + $7k so $10k total for FSD?

I'm also probably at the 90% autopilot situation with over 25,000 miles. I now fear driving any other car that doesn't have autopilot because of how valuable it is on most of my drives.
Exactly the same for me after 9,000 miles, including a trip up to SLO and Hearst Castle from Orange County this past weekend (free Tesla Wall Connector charging at Hearst Castle BTW). At this point, so very little negative to say about AP and phantom braking is almost non-existent.

Exactly the same for me after 9,000 miles, including a trip up to SLO and Hearst Castle from Orange County this past weekend (free Tesla Wall Connector charging at Hearst Castle BTW). At this point, so very little negative to say about AP and phantom braking is almost non-existent.

I was driving up the 605 yesterday afternoon and noticed a LOT more phantom braking than I'm use to. I felt like there was some regression on the AP software going on.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Very interesting and scary article about self driving in Car and Driver this month. Check it out.

If you do decide to spend the $3k now on beta code, I can assure you it will be something your wife gets to use against you for many years to come when discussing spending money. After one AP mistake, she will never use it again and won’t want you to use it while she is in the car. But you will make the posters above feel good if you buy it.

Or imagine how your life would improve if you used that money to buy her a Louis Vuitton purse and a huge flat screen for you.

We have a Roadster, S and ≡.

Guess which one gets driven the most?

Among all the differences, guess which variable leads to it being chosen most frequently?

ETA miles driven in each vehicle since purchase of ≡ (wrecks the questions, but gives more info):
Roadster 0 miles driven (winter here in WI, so not quite fair)
S 2k miles driven
≡ 6k miles driven (includes a 3k mile roadtrip which was about 99% AP)

Last edited:
If you do decide to spend the $3k now on beta code, I can assure you it will be something your wife gets to use against you for many years to come when discussing spending money. After one AP mistake, she will never use it again and won’t want you to use it while she is in the car. But you will make the posters above feel good if you buy it.

Or imagine how your life would improve if you used that money to buy her a Louis Vuitton purse and a huge flat screen for you.

I definitely think you've made a bad life choice, but it wasn't related to autopilot :)

Last edited:
I love my AP. 3k is steep but necessary to jump to FSD. Long drive, stop and go traffic and highway driving makes it worthwhile. I position my left hand towards the base of the wheel and rest it there. The weight is perfect to avoid warnings. I do wish I could change lanes without having to re-engage. That kinda sucks but am glad I have it. Maybe they'll add that feature in the future. IDK. Please...?