Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to charge at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's not the same but I have a Chevy volt and charge it everyday. (Model 3 on order just like you). Our electricity is very cheap. 6 cents per Kwh at worst last year. In perfect conditions you should be able to take the amount to fill the battery and add that usage based on your electric bills average. Now, in colder weather it will use more energy because it needs power to warm the 3 from what I've learned

This will be hugely YMMV based on your specific electric rate (and in some cases time of day if your plan cares about that) and the amount you will need to charge each day.

Once you know those 2 things you can do the rough math pretty simply.

It won't be 100% right because there's some charging loss, but it'll be close enough for government work.

For me (in NC) it costs about $2 to charge 300 miles of range as long as I charge between 10pm and 5am. That's probably lower than most folks though :)

That depends on three main factors, and several other minor ones:
  • How much you drive -- If you drive 1,000 miles a year, you'll pay less than if you drive 50,000 miles a year, all other things being equal
  • What you pay for your electricity -- This varies a lot nationally, and often a fair amount within a state. The national average is something like $0.13/kWh, IIRC, but some people pay less than half that and others pay twice as much.
  • How much you charge at home -- Some people make heavy use of free charging facilities at work, at malls, etc., and so can get by with little or no at-home charging. Others do the vast majority of their charging at home.
  • More minor factors -- These include things like where you drive (highway vs. city), your driving style, prevailing weather conditions (extreme cold and extreme heat both degrade energy efficiency), etc.
To get a rough idea for you, I suggest you go to the US DOE Web site, which has a tool to show you the cost to drive a vehicle. You'll need to click on the "Personalize" link to change several factors -- most importantly your annual mileage, the cost of electricity (it's on the "other fuels" tab), and your highway/city mix. When calculating your electricity cost, beware: Most utilities make their bills as confusing as possible. In my case (which I believe is typical), they break costs down into a dozen or so per-kWh categories, then add fixed amounts that everybody pays (in my case, totaling something like $6/month, IIRC). You can get a rough idea of what you pay per kWh by taking the bill total and dividing it by the number of kWh you consumed; but that figure will be slightly inflated for your purpose because it will include any fixed amounts, which will not increase when you buy an EV. Also, if you're on a tariff (rate plan) that varies the rate you pay by the time of day (often called time-of-use, or ToU, tariffs), then you'll want to charge your car at the cheapest times of the day, so you'll need to figure out the rate at that time and use it.

All that said, I just plugged in figures of 55%/45% city/highway driving, $0.13/kWh, and 15,000 miles driven in a year to the DOE site and it spat back an estimated annual cost of $500 for a Tesla Model 3.

One more caveat: The EPA/DOE estimates for the Tesla Model 3 relate to its power consumption when driving; but Teslas are notorious for having high rates of "vampire drain" -- electricity consumed while the car sits idle. These are equivalent to driving anywhere from 1 to at least 20 miles in a day, depending on the features you leave active. At the low end, this isn't a big deal; but if you make heavy use of Sentry Mode or leave the default always-active state for Smart Summon, you could be adding 50% to your electricity costs.

Hi all. Super excited, have my M3P on order and hope to get it by December. I am going to be installing a Tesla Wall Charger at home. Question for those in FL - how much is your power bill being effected by charging?

As mentioned above you need to gather up some info esp. your electricity bill from the recent past & see what your e-company is charging you.

Quick rule of thumb to calc your cost is:
Take your monthly mileage you are using on your ICE car & divide by 3.
Take that result & multiply by your cost per kWh (usually on your electricity bill inclusive of any service fees they tack on).
That will give you a good idea about how much it will shift your cost from gas bill to electricity bill.

my own experience:
(1300 miles monthly/3) x $0.12 = $52/month

**Some people will say there is some vampire drain & additional losses occurring in your electrical lines - which they are right - but those require more complex tools to estimate.

I noticed that my bill has increased by at least $52 since i shifted from gas to electric.
But it has NEVER ever been more than a handful of bucks more even given all the climatic affected usage - thus the noise I suspect from above.

And more importantl I went from a $150 bill for gas to 1/3rd of that switching to electric.

Reactions: davewill
Hi all. Super excited, have my M3P on order and hope to get it by December. I am going to be installing a Tesla Wall Charger at home. Question for those in FL - how much is your power bill being effected by charging?

Call them or check the web site for your electricity supplier.
If they have a time-of-use plan or a EV-specific plan, its probably worthwhile to use it.

Our EMC provides 400 kWh free each month between midnight and 6am, and then only $0.045 over that.

After modifying some of our electrical usage patterns, our electric bill is about the same as before we got the Tesla.
Ex: only run the dishwasher after midnight. Avoid washing and drying clothes at high peak (1pm - 9pm) rates.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Washington state .11/kwh
Capture.JPG

Keep it Simple

You’ll use approximately 300 wh/mi including charging losses and winter driving (give or take).

12,000 miles / year (average driver) * 0.300 kWh/mi = 3600 kWh / year

3600 kWh / year * $0.11 kWh (national average) = $396.00 / year

Plug in your own miles and electricity rate.

Some folks pay as much as $0.32 kWh so the cost would be ~3x that.

Some folks have lead foot, add 25%

Being in FL should help as it’s much cheaper to run the AC than the heater.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
Look up rated watt miles for your trim level. Add a 50% buffer to be extra conservative. Multiply by your normal monthly miles, then by your kWh rate.

Random numbers: 340 watts per mile - 1k miles a month - 15 cents per kWh
=340,000 watts / 1000 = 340 kWh
340kWh * 15 cents each = 51 bucks (if you want to be more accurate you can add in kWh taxes but those are relatively low)

I also suggest factoring in the lack of oil changes and normal maintenance, if you want to feel really good about the purchase.

Last edited:
I'm never quite sure what everyone is actually paying in electricity.....my rate is 10.83 cents per kw. However that does not account for the delivery charge per kw. That is around 11 cents. So my real total is around 22 cents per kw. I definitely save money compared to gas, but nothing crazy. I got 36 miles per gallon on my last car so the savings are sort of weak

I'm filling up my truck twice a week at about $50 bucks a fill up. 60 miles to work everyday so 120 minimum daily. I'm going from $400-450 a month plus oil changes. Model 3 on order and still waiting on the VIN, can't wait
Minimum savings for you should be about 60% unless you have some odd taxes on electrical services!

I'm never quite sure what everyone is actually paying in electricity.....my rate is 10.83 cents per kw. However that does not account for the delivery charge per kw. That is around 11 cents. So my real total is around 22 cents per kw. I definitely save money compared to gas, but nothing crazy. I got 36 miles per gallon on my last car so the savings are sort of weak

IMO - you have to factor that delivery charge in - most people do - those are real costs to & unfortunately they can be sneaky with the creep upwards.

Last edited:
That sucks. Is that your peak price? All in non time of use pricing is about 12 cents per kWh here in Kansas.