Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costa Mesa Delivery blows and so does the Model 3 quality...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an interesting video of a youtuber that measured paint thickness from various cars using a paint thickness gauge. Maybe it was just your particular VIN that had the issue? Seems that your experience is another "box of chocolates" example....

Results screen cap:
View attachment 329169
I am not saying that the Tesla Paint is either bad or good. What I will say is this video measures the thickness, not the softness or overall quality of the paint. That's an important distinction, because that has been the primary complaint.

Reactions: Canikony
I would discourage other members from talking down on a member because it doesnt look good on the community and Tesla by association.

Regular forum members know from other legitimate sources that their delivery process still isn't great especially on the weekend. Tesla has room for improvement but we dont need to disparage Frank69

I feel they've made some changes effort in this area since July and I look forward to a pleaant delivery at Costa Mesa this Thursday.

I would discourage other members from talking down on a member because it doesnt look good on the community and Tesla by association.

Regular forum members know from other legitimate sources that their delivery process still isn't great especially on the weekend. Tesla has room for improvement but we dont need to disparage Frank69

I feel they've made some changes effort in this area since July and I look forward to a pleaant delivery at Costa Mesa this Thursday.
Well said.

Reactions: GSP and Eclectic
Frank - agree you should expect a clean car on delivery. Ask them to put a credit on your account for your detailing costs. Worked for
me when my MS was delivered with an obvious tiger stripe on the hood. Body shop left a mess and swirls that had to be corrected.
It does appear from many reports that CM specifically has this problem due to volume vs space, offsite outdoor staging and proximity to the ocean. Look on the bright side - my GM always said a bird pooping on you is good luck! I wish you many happy trails in your new Tesla!

Welcome to the land of Tesla snobs. They will make excuses until the cows come home and demand evidence. And then say escalate. Plus the classic "growing or young company". Tesla make great cars but its sad how after all this time they still have some basic troubles. Their tech is sweet and the potential is there. They have done the planet a great service and the next 2 years will be very interesting indeed.

I am just honestly confused by the OP. why does the model 3 quality suck as indicated in the title of the post? Is there something besides scratches? Sounds like the bird poop might have stained any car manufacturer.

They should have cleaned the car. I have no idea why there would be dirt in the door. I think it is hard to believe because the phrasing just sounds so embellished and dramatic.

30 minutes wait really isn’t much. Not sure your expectations are realistic there.

My experience is that if you are on the forums, you probably do know more than the sales people.

Either way, sorry you aren’t happy. I’m sure as you get further from the delivery you’ll forget and be happy. I am anxiously awaiting my car.

Last edited:
I am just honestly confused by the OP. why does the model 3 quality suck as indicated in the title of the post? Is there something besides scratches? Sounds like the bird poop might have stained any car manufacturer.

They should have cleaned the car. I have no idea why there would be dirt in the door. I think it is hard to believe because the phrasing just sounds so embellished and dramatic.

30 minutes wait really isn’t much. Not sure your expectations are realistic there.

My experience is that if you are on the forums, you probably do know more than the sales people.

Either way, sorry you aren’t happy. I’m sure as you get further from the delivery you’ll forget and be happy. I am anxiously awaiting my car.

Especially since there is no way you can walk into any car dealership and be out with a car in 30 minutes. It takes at least an hour sitting in the "finance department" being hard-sold those extended warranties and maintenance plans.

This thread is a great example of why the Tesla community is looked down on. Tesla has been known to have tons of issues with quality control and service, especially now. While I agree 30 min is not THAT bad, the other complaints are valid and there are many other people who complained about dirt in their newly delivered 3s. But yeah, lets attack this guy and call him a liar because he speaks negatively about your beloved company.

Welcome to the land of Tesla snobs. They will make excuses until the cows come home and demand evidence. And then say escalate. Plus the classic "growing or young company". Tesla make great cars but its sad how after all this time they still have some basic troubles. Their tech is sweet and the potential is there. They have done the planet a great service and the next 2 years will be very interesting indeed.
That’s true, we do forgive Tesla a bit too readily.
On the other hand, just think of all the horrible experiences I’m sure we’ve all had with non-Tesla dealerships. I know I’ve had a few...

Just my $0.02.

This is not to point to any particular individual.
By 'defending' Tesla and their SCs, we are not doing anybody any favor(s).
On the contrary, we are chasing potential and/or new owner(s) away due to their 'fear' of being 'attacked' if they posted anything other than positive comments concerning Tesla.

Tesla cars are just the beginning of the EV revolution and, naturally, Elon Musk is a visionary but they have a very long way to go yet.
Granted, not all complaints are valid and yet, IMHO, who are we to question anybody's motive when they posted anything and demanded that they posted pictures or they lied? At the end of the day, as good as Tesla cars are, they are just a car and unless one works for Tesla and/or has a vested interest in the company, one should let it be.

Especially since there is no way you can walk into any car dealership and be out with a car in 30 minutes. It takes at least an hour sitting in the "finance department" being hard-sold those extended warranties and maintenance plans.

South Bay Hyundai made me sit in a corner for 45 mins watching a blaring football game next to a popcorn machine for the privilege of test driving an Ioniq EV. It was then “MSRP + $5k over sticker take it or leave it, we’ll have this car sold in an hour if you don’t buy it.”

Hyundai is not a luxury brand but I think it’s important to consider the spectrum of experiences in car purchasing and delivery. My Marina del Rey Tesla delivery was not flawless but it was by far the most painless car buying and delivery I’ve ever experienced and I’ve bought quite a number of new cars over the years.

I have a Costa Mesa Tesla service story to share as well. Some of is good but most of it was just terrible.

I thought it was pretty cool that Tesla uncorked my December 2016 Model X shaving more than a second off my 0-60. They charged me zero for this but I had to make a phone call and drive the car in for them to keep for a day.

They gave me a Tesla loaner but it had issues, please see below.

Pros:
+ Free performance uncork shaving over a second off 0-60 that would typically cost 5 digits to upgrade through third party or trim upgrades from manufacturer.
+ Model S loaner to use for the day while working on my Model X

Cons:
- I had to call to schedule an appointment to get the uncork done.
- I had to drive my car in myself to get the uncork done.
- I had to wait in the lobby for 10 minutes before someone came to me to complete the paperwork and set me up with a loaner.
- Coffee at the Costa Mesa service center is not very good. Generic keurig stuff and powered creamer and sugar from a can (ewww)
- Loaner Model S was not a P100D, did not have vegan white seats, and did not have 3 position LED Turning lights
- Free car wash after the service was not quite as good as if I washed it myself

GM, Nissan, Porsche haven't gotten to offering complementary performance enhancements yet, but when they do, surely it will be cheaper and better than Tesla!

Somehow I'm drawn to all my future cars being Tesla's despite 3x the cons than pros from this particular experience.

Tesla has major issues they are obviously aware of, and obvious in plain sight for all to see. If you can't stand them, buy another car.

You can't even call these bozos

On the contrary, we are chasing potential and/or new owner(s) away due to their 'fear' of being 'attacked' if they posted anything other than positive comments concerning Tesla.

I'm sorry, but when you call a team that has been nothing but gracious to me over two cars, "bozos that blow" I'm going to return fire.

Well mannered criticisms have always received well mannered replies. You come out firing with vitriol, you are going to get checked. You think "Bozos that blow, and make cars that blow" is "anything but positive comments?"

Last edited:
Bunch of bull sh** I say. You can't even call these bozos without being put into a queue that either hangs up on you or you get a full voicemail.
Is it too hard to ask for a clean car when delivered or treated with a little respect. People giving excuses. I've never had a sales experience where the guy wanted to get me out of there within 10-15m while I was looking over the car. It's just plain dumb.
Here is my experience at Costa Mesa Delivery Center, 10 days before you, on a Tuesday, OBM color.
Costa Mesa delivery experience -WOW!
Did you read this post before arranging delivery for your car? Car is still perfect in every way but now is sporting tinted windows and looks meaner than a junkyard dog.

Respect is an interesting concept. You can't demand respect, you have to earn respect. You can't earn respect until you give respect in reciprocation

Tesla has been known to have tons of issues with quality control and service, especially now

Really? because you read 'bozos that blow' complaints here in this forum? Generalization based on a few anecdotes is what people frown upon.

If OP had stopped at, 'I am disappointed and upset with the delivery' I think he would have been taken seriously. But whats with the click-bait headline, "<poor> Model 3 quality" ?

People are a bit jumpy here when they see over the top negative comments, for a good reason. Because much of the trollish FUD reports published in Seeking Alpha, WSJ, Yahoo, BI etc.. are based mostly out of posts from here.