Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Unable To Get X Tires/how Many Miles A Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 32K miles on our 2017 Model X. I figured I'd replace the tires before the New England winter, to make sure there is decent tread life. I stopped by Costco and they said they didn't have, and couldn't order, the recommended staggered set. A bit disappointing as we always get tires there, with good price and service. At what point have others replaced their tires (I figured I'd be about 40K) and where have they gotten them (Tesla service center, other tire stores, etc.?)

Thanks
Jon

Reactions: Rossy
You could order them from tirerack.com. They carry a very wide selection of options for the MX and have great prices. They can ship directly to you or they offer installers in your area with quoted price for installation and can ship directly to them.

Reactions: Sprandt23
I just used tirerack.com as well for the first time - good prices on 21" tires for the MS. I reached out to a mom & pop tire store and asked if I had tires and rims if they would mount them for me and they were happy to do so, I think it was $35-40 fee to mount/balance each. Tires were shipped to me and I took them in with my rims (I have two sets so they could work on them off the car).
All in all, cheaper than other national tire places.

I got the fronts from tire rack, well priced (comparison is to mb gl550). Rears: local NTB in houston, since i got a slow leak on a trip from over wear-- orginal tires were about 40-45k. They were able to find reasonably priced tires on a sunday.

Going back to the post, has anyone found a Costco that can get tires for their X? It still seems strange to me that they do not have a supplier that can get them staggered pairs for a Model X. I have used TireRack many times for snows for a BMW but looking to avoid that route, if I can. Thanks!

I use Discount Tire out here. BUT, like any tire shop, there are dumb employees and smart employees at different stores.... even in the same city some times. Since I am close to GF1, clearly they serve a lot of Teslas here and very knowledgeable, yet there are stories about Discount Tire not knowing much about lifting a Tesla in some areas of the country.... so your mileage varies.

As for Costco, I have not been impressed with their pricing up here in Sparks. Maybe for other cars or tires in other areas, they might be good. I don't know. Example, when I replaced my tires a few months ago, I checked Costco. They weren't as cheap as I thought they might be. Their only selection was Michelin Latitude Sport 3, and a full set would have been $385 MORE for the same tires than all the other major tire chain stores. Not the tires I wanted anyway. Even so, he was strongly warning there would be much road noise due to no foam (not sure he is right about that), and said some customer brought back the tires due to noise. I finally got Pirelli tires at Discount Tire and have not noticed any more road noise at high speed, but maybe it is just because they are new.

Again, just a one mouse experiment with one Costco up here. I'd hope there are better results elsewhere. Hey the good news is that they would not have required me to buy 12 sets of tires at one time :rolleyes:

Reactions: Rossy and BMWtoo