Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could someone answer my question on my MYLR’s range please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently got a long range mode Y and my commute is from around riverside to barstow, 75 miles one way. One the way to work, its mostly uphill and it consumes lot of energy and my range goes from 265 mi to 160 mi, when I arrive to work. And when I come back home I am left with around 7mi. It seems like The battery is draining a lot more than it should?
I drive around the speed limit, 5-10 mph over max, mostly on autopilot. Should I be concerned about this issue?

So I recently got a long range mode Y and my commute is from around riverside to barstow, 75 miles one way. One the way to work, its mostly uphill and it consumes lot of energy and my range goes from 265 mi to 160 mi, when I arrive to work. And when I come back home I am left with around 7mi. It seems like The battery is draining a lot more than it should?
I drive around the speed limit, 5-10 mph over max, mostly on autopilot. Should I be concerned about this issue?
I meant 70 mi when I come back home

Upvote 0
There are many factors that affect consumption. Elevation is one of them, but you gain a good portion back when you go down. Your speed is by far the most important, air resistance is a significant factor in an EV. That includes wind speed, a front wind hurts a lot, a tail wind helps. After that, outside temperature (which affects your usage of AC or heating), how much additional weight you carry in the car, are the road conditions dry or wet (or snow), anything except dry augments drag.

It's difficult to compare both legs of your trip unless all other conditions are exactly the same.

Upvote 0
There are many factors that affect consumption. Elevation is one of them, but you gain a good portion back when you go down. Your speed is by far the most important, air resistance is a significant factor in an EV. That includes wind speed, a front wind hurts a lot, a tail wind helps. After that, outside temperature (which affects your usage of AC or heating), how much additional weight you carry in the car, are the road conditions dry or wet (or snow), anything except dry augments drag.

It's difficult to compare both legs of your trip unless all other conditions are exactly the same.
Its a dry road since its socal in my opinion. I am wondering because on the downhill, It doesnt seem like im getting alot back since it goes from 160 mi to 70 mi. Which means its consuming 90 mi and on up hill it was around 100 mi, considering each way is 75 mi

Upvote 1
Use the referral code "free30" and sign up for TeslaFi. You'll get a 30 day free trial and TeslaFi will show you all kinds of stats about your driving each day, including changes in elevation, speed, driving efficiency, weather impact, phantom drain, sleep/awake, charging, etc.

At the end of 30 days, stop using it and owe nothing, or if you like it, its $5/mo or $50/yr to keep the service.

Upvote 0
Lot's of good info/advice here:

There, fixed it for you, lol

In case anyone thinks I am joking about that, here is a 131 PAGE (not posts, pages) thread in the model 3 section that is on this same basic topic:

The cars have the same battery, so its the same discussion.

Upvote 0
This is always a shock to new EV owners but you can't drive at 80 MPH + and expect good driving efficiency. If you are serious about improving your range and efficiency then limit your speed to no more than 70 MPH (I would suggest even lower speeds but that won't work when everyone else is driving at maximum overdrive speeds.)

Also important (but nothing has as much impact as your driving speed):

Check the tire pressure; 42 PSI measured cold or even a few pounds more.

Set the HVAC to Auto and 70F or 71F; turn on Recirculate Cabin Air so the AC does not have to work as hard to keep the cabin cool.

Because you live in southern California, consider tinting all of the glass with a high quality ceramic tint. This will further reduce the amount of energy used by the AC.

Cargo weight is not usually a concern unless the vehicle is fully loaded or you are towing a trailer. In a 4400 lb vehicle a tool box and other things that weigh ~100 lbs isn't going to make much difference.

If you are driving a Performance Model Y with the 21" Uberturbine wheels know that you are losing as much as 15% efficiency due to the larger, heavier wheels as compared to the 19" Gemini wheels.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Reactions: Big Earl
Upvote 1
It's absolutely normal. Yes, there's a lot of downhill once you get back to the Cajon pass, but there's quite an uphill from about Adelanto up through Victorville on your way back. Not to mention the longish uphill portion as you are leaving Barstow heading south.

I wouldn't worry too much about "when it gets colder." You know, and I know, that it doesn't really get that cold (apart from a few days in Victorville that might see snow every couple of years) but you're making it home with about 25% at this point, and you won't lose that much due to the colder weather.

I've personally driven to Barstow and back (also live in Riverside) and have experienced about what you're seeing.

Check out www.abetterrouteplanner.com -- I think you'll find it to be pretty accurate. I also plugged Riverside to Barstow into it and got this cool cross-section showing estimated battery charge and the elevation change for Riverside to Barstow. You can see that it isn't exactly downhill the whole way back.
rivbarstow.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
Upvote 0
Should I be concerned about this issue?

Nope, you shouldnt, all sounds very normal.

If you are driving the speed of traffic, when there is no traffic you are likely driving around 80MPH (10 over) and the difference between 70 and 80MPH is not a "little bit extra" on the battery, its a LOT LOT LOT extra. it is in an ICE vehicle too, but people dont pay attention to "range" in an ICE vehicle.

Anyway, the EPA testing (your 326 mile range) is based on EPA tests, which are around 45 miles per hour. The very fact that you are saying "range goes from 265" tells me that you likely have gone down the battery rabbit hole and think something like "I need to only charge to 75-80% to prolong my battery!" Stop doing that (charging to 80%) and charge to 90% because you are driving 150 miles round trip, with elevation changes.

I charge daily to 90% in my model 3, and have more "range left" than other people who micromanage theirs. dont charge to 100% every day, but there is absolutely positively 100% nothing wrong with charging to 90%, and you should, because your commute is so long.

Upvote 0
Just curious....you say you're left with around 70 miles after the 150 mile commute. What percentage did you start with? 90%? 100%?
Also, after 1 week of ownership, I switched the indicator to percentage left (not miles remaining). Too many variables that'll affect range.
I equate it to looking at the battery % on my iPhone. IMO, that's the true indicator on when you need to charge your battery (not how many minutes left for calling, face-timing, music, playing, background data refresh, etc.).

You can always look @ your touchscreen to see the Wh/mi you're getting with each leg of the trip.

Upvote 0
The very fact that you are saying "range goes from 265" tells me that you likely have gone down the battery rabbit hole and think something like "I need to only charge to 75-80% to prolong my battery!" Stop doing that (charging to 80%) and charge to 90% because you are driving 150 miles round trip, with elevation changes.
Re the above advice, WATCH THIS VIDEO! (just trying to get your attention :) )

I liked this video from Frugal Tesla Guy:

Upvote 0
Just curious....you say you're left with around 70 miles after the 150 mile commute. What percentage did you start with? 90%? 100%?
Also, after 1 week of ownership, I switched the indicator to percentage left (not miles remaining). Too many variables that'll affect range.
I equate it to looking at the battery % on my iPhone. IMO, that's the true indicator on when you need to charge your battery (not how many minutes left for calling, face-timing, music, playing, background data refresh, etc.).

You can always look @ your touchscreen to see the Wh/mi you're getting with each leg of the trip.
80%

Upvote 0
What kind of Wh/Mi are you getting? In the one month+ I’ve been driving my MYP, I’ve been getting around 280 Wh/Mi.

I only use the % remaining display, and from my observations I’ve been getting about 2.1~2.2 miles for every percentage point if I have the AC on, and close to 3 miles per every percentage point with AC off. Without the AC on I might come somewhat close to the EPA rated range, but with it on I feel like I won’t come close.

If my SOC is 80%, and I’m driving 150 miles round trip with AC on, I’d expect around 10-15% charge left at the end of the round trip in my MYP. The MYLR would have more charge left, so I would say what you’re seeing seems normal.

Upvote 0