Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could we finally expect the USB Media Player to be fixed in Ver. 9.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very few people can tell the difference between original uncompressed audio at CD specifications (sampling and bits per sample) and MP3, and only on very few audio tracks played on very high quality equipment (which Tesla audio isn't) in controlled environments (which a car on the road also isn't). This has been tested extensively at MP3 bitrates well below the standard maximum (320 kbps). Most people achieve audio transparency (inability to detect the difference between the original and the MP3) well below that bitrate (usually around 200kbps). Some people insist on being able to detect the difference with ease, but those claims are unsupported until a proper ABX test (ABX - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase) is performed (which, conveniently, such people never seem to perform). Now, at lower bitrates and/or with poor MP3 encoders, compression artifacts can be more frequently detected by many listeners (see: Slacker audio). This can be easily avoided by using a good encoder (LAME being the de facto standard) and a proper bitrate (feel free to use the maximum of 320kbps if you want to err on the safe side).

I'm not saying you should have to convert your FLAC library to MP3 to work around Tesla's poor software development practices, but rather that you can relax the concern of using MP3 audio for fear of quality loss.

I am not disagreeing with anything you say but I'm sure we can both agree that the genre of music has a lot to do with how lossless/high-resolution music sounds compared to compressed MP3s. I've spent a considerable amount of time and effort putting my music collection together often seeking out better quality tracks of songs I already own.

Since 2009, I have listened to lossless music in my car with a direct connection to the audio system. This is the reason I'm against the notion that in the world's finest car made by the world's most technologically sophisticated car company, that you need to compress and degrade the quality of the audio you listen to.

This is not a matter of processing resources because a $49 Amazon Fire can flawlessly plays a 200GB+ lossless music collection. I bet they can get the media player issues in short order if they make the effort This is why whenever I hear of them adding frivolous features, as much as I like frivolous features, I wonder... "Yes, but what about fixing the media player?"

The Media Player has sucked for a few years now. We have a 64GB flash drive with a few hundred regular mp3 and mp4 files. We regularly get "Loading Error" when trying to play a song. We'll have to go back into the list and try it again, or select the song before or after it and then use the forward or backward track buttons to get to it. My Ranger says he has other customers with the same problem. They haven't been able to figure out a pattern. Tesla's drive control software has been flawless but their infotainment software not so much.
I've reported this to my SC for years and all they ever tell me is that the USB is too big. Really?
And they cannot reproduce.
It worked just fine for the first 2 years ... and the same USB works fine in other devices in my house.
More BS like you're getting.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Here is a great article regarding USB drives for those who haven't seen it. Apparently the Tesla is picky; I used to get loading errors frequently on my lear 64GB flash drive with FLAC and AIFF lossless files before I reformatted it to MS-DOS (FAT) on my MacBook. The first time I just loaded it with music files it was using a different format.

I still get some dropouts, for about 1 - 2 seconds, but not very often. Most of the time it works excellent and yes, I can tell the difference between listening to it and Slacker. I can no longer listen to Sirius; the sound quality is too low. And the longer I listen to Slacker the more it sounds like a large flash drive; the same songs keep playing over and over...

USB Flash Drives for Music | TeslaTap

This is not a matter of processing resources because a $49 Amazon Fire can flawlessly plays a 200GB+ lossless music collection.

You’re confusing the resources needed to play a single file with the act of scanning and indexing thousands of files over hundreds of gigabytes on a slow flash drive through a tiny USB 2.0 data straw.

That’s very unlikely to result in a pleasant experience. I’m sure Tesla’s implementation could be better than it is but your use case is beyond extreme and represents an infinitesimal fraction of owners (I’d blindly wager 95%+ have never played a single file with the USB media player). That’s not a good use of development resources.

It’s obvious from this thread you don’t like any of the solutions but they’re all there - you’ll likely have a better experience if you get the fastest flash drive you can, convert your library to another format, or find a way to subsist on something less than 200 gigs of music at any given time.

You’re confusing the resources needed to play a single file with the act of scanning and indexing thousands of files over hundreds of gigabytes on a slow flash drive through a tiny USB 2.0 data straw.

That’s very unlikely to result in a pleasant experience. I’m sure Tesla’s implementation could be better than it is but your use case is beyond extreme and represents an infinitesimal fraction of owners (I’d blindly wager 95%+ have never played a single file with the USB media player). That’s not a good use of development resources.

It’s obvious from this thread you don’t like any of the solutions but they’re all there - you’ll likely have a better experience if you get the fastest flash drive you can, convert your library to another format, or find a way to subsist on something less than 200 gigs of music at any given time.

I know you are trying to help but all I know is that since 2009, I have been able to listen to high resolution audio tracks in every single one of the cars I've owned and it's only an issue with our Tesla that is vastly superior to every other car we have owned in every other way but media playback.

The media issues are only affecting 5% of the users? Tell that to all the people who enjoy listening to podcasts in their cars and constantly lose their place in the podcast. There are a bunch of other media player issues that are affecting many customers. Also maybe more people would use the media player if it worked properly... :rolleyes:

As a software developer I disagree with your assessment that scanning a music library of a few thousand tracks is an insurmountable technical challenge. Scan it once, use a checksum using a folder/file count and don't scan again until the folder/file count changes. Perhaps have a manual re-scan button to use when needed. Or do such housekeeping at night when the car is charging. There is no need to insist on re-scanning the entire library at random times like what happens now.

Also keep in mind that the task of drawing maps and maintaining the mapping database is a vastly more complicated task than keeping track of a few thousand media files. This is not a software or hardware issue but a matter of caring to fix the bugs they have introduced and fixing what is broken. Don't forget that some of these issues worked previously before an update.

I feel like your solution of degrading the music quality so it works with the media player bugs to be a version of the infamous "You are holding it wrong."I've already followed a bunch of solutions including using Media Monkey to completely clean up my entire music collection and the media is hosted in a very high quality 256GB Flash drive.

All I'm saying is that while they are adding video games to the car, I hope that they please consider fixing the media player. For those who have yet to listen to high quality uncompressed FLAC music in your car with the upgraded audio, give it a try one day. You'll love it, especially if you enjoy jazz, classical, and similar music.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I am not disagreeing with anything you say but I'm sure we can both agree that the genre of music has a lot to do with how lossless/high-resolution music sounds compared to compressed MP3s.

There are two different concepts in that statement.

Does genre affect the transparency of lossy compression (in this case, MP3) versus the original? I suppose it can, but not inherently so. It would be more accurate to say musical composition and mastering process significantly affect at what point (if any) a lossy compression algorithm can achieve transparency. The test is to take original CD audio (44.1khz sample rate, 16-bit samples) and compare it to MP3 (at whatever bitrate you prefer, 320kbps if you want the best MP3 can provide). Under those circumstances, very few people will notice the difference and on very few tracks under fairly controlled circumstances, regardless of genre. If you're worried about it, test it via ABX testing with headphones. If you can't consistently tell the difference in those conditions, you won't in the car.

Comparing "high-resolution" audio to MP3 is invalid, since the sampling rate and/or bits per sample are typically not the same. There isn't a consistent definition of what "high-resolution" audio is, but it tends to mean that the sampling rate is above the CD audio standard of 44.1khz (typically 48khz, 96khz, or 192khz) and/or the bits per sample is above the CD audio standard (typically 24 bits per sample). These are two different factors to consider.

It's doubtful that higher sampling rates improve audio quality, given how sampling theory and human hearing work. Sampling rate determines the highest frequency that can be captured, which is half of the sampling rate chosen. For example, a 96khz sampling rate can capture frequencies up to 48khz. Human hearing is generally understood to be capped at about 20khz (at best, this tends to degrade with age). Thus, the human ear can't hear anything above about 20khz, which is partially why CD audio sampling was selected to be 44.1khz (thus capturing frequencies up to 22.05khz). Also, you would need equipment capable of reproducing those frequencies, which isn't common in the consumer market. Do we know the frequency response of speakers in Tesla vehicles?

Bits per sample may provide a more discernable improvement in audio quality. By increasing from 16 to 24 bits per sample, the amplitude of a given sample can be more precisely captured, which can improve the overall quality and create a more faithful reproduction from the source. I think this is the more interesting and worthwhile expansion of audio data when discussing "high-resolution" audio.

Keep in mind, this is meant to be informative and perhaps help reduce concerns about audio formats. None of this is argument that you should be required to go through the labor and (debatable) loss of quality to listen to your music collection in your vehicle. You've correctly noted that these sorts of audio format technologies have been around for quite some time and many other product manufacturers have better solved these problems in a variety of consumer products.

This is why whenever I hear of them adding frivolous features, as much as I like frivolous features, I wonder... "Yes, but what about fixing the media player?"

Tesla has very poor software development processes, so this is where I couldn't agree more. I consider it unacceptable practice to devote development resources to trivial/extraneous functionality when there are a significant number of known issues with standard feature functionality.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Keep in mind, this is meant to be informative and perhaps help reduce concerns about audio formats. None of this is argument that you should be required to go through the labor and (debatable) loss of quality to listen to your music collection in your vehicle. You've correctly noted that these sorts of audio format technologies have been around for quite some time and many other product manufacturers have better solved these problems in a variety of consumer products.

You have raised some excellent points but yes, this is where I'm coming from. I've been careful to curate my music collection and I listen to music just about every minute I'm in the car. I would prefer to not have to have any debatable loss of quality given all the effort to build my music collection -- especially when I've been able to listen to my music collection in other cars for so long without issues.

Apart from the issues with handling large lossless music collections, I know other people, such as those who listen to podcasts in USB media, also have issues with the media player as well. So there are other long-standing bugs with the media player that would be nice to see fixed.

I guess we will all find out soon enough if the media player is fixed. If anyone finds any information about the media player in Ver. 9.0, please post here. IMHO Tesla should have the best USB media of any car...

FLAC user here.

I'm having zero usability issues on my AP2/MCU1 Teslas using 128 GB USB sticks. I've whittled down my "car" music to about 3500 songs to get to 128 GB. I've been using the same SanDisk Ultradisk USB 3.0 sticks for more than a year without issue.

Indexing speed is now noticeably improved, and it occurs far less frequently. (Maybe 2-3 minutes after a reboot?). FWIW, I've never had an indexing "error" other than perhaps a really poorly tagged song (crazy characters or outright missing key elements).

Before the introduction of 128 GB sticks, I used to have 2 sticks connected (2 x 64 GB) to older Teslas. If you're having trouble with 250 GB, that may be a decent workaround.
SanDisk now makes 256 GB versions of the same device -- maybe the device brand itself matters?

As an aside, by zero issues, I include album art, sorting, weird file names, etc -- all seem to be working correctly for me now. I even think the randomizer problem seems to be better (I can't quite tell if it's fixed, though). Of course, the resume song after stopping the car functionality is still not there, but that doesn't bother me that much.

The only improvement I'd like now is easy voice-control of my USB library.

(Oh, and I'd obviously take CarPlay and just throw the whole Tesla media player nonsense out the window since it is still very much a "dumb" media player not much better than a CD changer).

I'm not meaning to pick on you but your conclusion is not true. There are no user-based ways to fix this and I have literally been at it for years. We have a 64GB USB drive with less than 800 songs and all of them are MP3 or MP4. So this is absolutely NOT limited to people with huge libraries of FLAC. Tesla BROKE the media player when the did the big overhaul of it a few years ago. When we first got the car it worked great. Nothing has changed in our setup beyond adding some newer songs (though not many, we have little kids so we've been listening to the same songs for years :p ).

In our case, indexing happens well and quickly. I can open up the list of songs and see all the songs just fine. The problem is when I press on one I get the spinning circle and then "Loading Error". I have not been able to find a pattern in which songs, formats, etc cause this. My workaround is to go back to the list and select the song before the one I want. If that one loads, then use the track advance button and usually my preferred track will load. Sometimes that one dies too. Other times I will leave it as I need to focus on driving and the song will eventually start playing, as if there is a retry timer that gets triggered somehow.

At the end of the day this is just standard Tesla. Just like we never got the in-car hotspot or 500GB of internal music storage, or the myriad other things we were promised. Frankly this won't change until Tesla has real competition. Then they will be forced to write working software or go out of business. Until then they simply don't care because TINA.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
I'm not meaning to pick on you but your conclusion is not true. There are no user-based ways to fix this and I have literally been at it for years. We have a 64GB USB drive with less than 800 songs and all of them are MP3 or MP4. So this is absolutely NOT limited to people with huge libraries of FLAC. Tesla BROKE the media player when the did the big overhaul of it a few years ago. When we first got the car it worked great. Nothing has changed in our setup beyond adding some newer songs (though not many, we have little kids so we've been listening to the same songs for years :p ).

In our case, indexing happens well and quickly. I can open up the list of songs and see all the songs just fine. The problem is when I press on one I get the spinning circle and then "Loading Error". I have not been able to find a pattern in which songs, formats, etc cause this. My workaround is to go back to the list and select the song before the one I want. If that one loads, then use the track advance button and usually my preferred track will load. Sometimes that one dies too. Other times I will leave it as I need to focus on driving and the song will eventually start playing, as if there is a retry timer that gets triggered somehow.

At the end of the day this is just standard Tesla. Just like we never got the in-car hotspot or 500GB of internal music storage, or the myriad other things we were promised. Frankly this won't change until Tesla has real competition. Then they will be forced to write working software or go out of business. Until then they simply don't care because TINA.

You are absolutely right in that some of what is broken with the USB media player used to work just fine before a major update a while back that broke media player functionality.

Also we have tried so many different "fixes" with tweaking song metadata, USB drive selection., etc but the bugs and issues with the media player as far as I can tell can't really be overcome and needs a software fix.

If anyone has seen or heard of media player improvements in Ver 9, please let us know.

Would love for our Tesla to one day play media in the car and handle a large lossless music library like it was 2009 :D:p:rolleyes:

What do you mean by compilations are broken up?
If you have a compilation album where all tracks have the same ALBUM tag, but each song has a different ARTIST tag, then the Tesla media player will break up the album into per-artist groupings. It will effectively appear as if each of the artists involved has released their own album with the same title, and there is no way to listen to the collection as a full album. (The normal workaround is to change the ARTIST tag to "Various Artists", and append the artist info to the TITLE tag of each track instead.)

Last edited:
Reactions: kajsidog
I assume people in this thread are already familiar with the many bugs detailed over here:
Comprehensive USB Bug List

oh and BTW, I know some of the annoying bugs persist even with tiny music collections on small USB drives (e.g. a dozen or so MP3 tracks on a 2GB USB) - i.e the problems are not solely related to large music libraries on large devices. It's clear the media player is (and has been for a long time) simply just buggy and Tesla seems to have no interest in fixing it

I for one am not optimistic we'll see any change to the many longstanding USB bugs once v9-complete-with-Asteroids finally rolls out. Sad, because we're not talking about any earth-shattering technology that doesn't already exist in many other places and products - it's not hard to imagine they could easily make it an awesome music player if they cared.

Reactions: kajsidog
Has anyone tried this USB Flash drive? It is 256GB and I like how small it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-...537378763&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1
Have no experience with that one, but I have tried the SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB model, and really cannot recommend it because it gets incredibly hot after being plugged into any USB port, even with no I/O having taken place. We're talking about "ow! that burned my fingers!!" levels of hot. I've noticed that a lot of reviewers mention how warm these drives get. For now, I'm sticking with an older 64 GB Kingston stick that stays completely cool.

The Samsung drive does seem to have good reviews. I noticed this:
When transferring (writing) files to it, it can get hot like many of the flash drives this size can. Just leaving it plugged into a device and reading from it... it will get warms but not hot to the touch.
By T. A. Nicolai on September 22, 2018
If I do pick one up, I'll report back.

What do you mean by compilations are broken up?

The media player seems to only read the "artist" tag of ID3 (the MP3 metadata format) and ignores the "album artist" tag. The former is used to indicate the artist(s) on a given track; the latter is used for the artist associated with the entire album/work. Compilation works often have a variety of artists, thus these are not properly grouped into a singular work.

My album songs show up fine on some albums and all out of order on other ones. I have tried putting leading numbers on the song titles and here again, it works for some and not for others. Also, some show up under "Albums" but not under "Artists" and vice versa, some show up only in folders: in short, they are all over the place. Can anyone tell me how to edit the metadata to solve these problems? I have read that the media player does not read ID3 tags. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!