Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another P85D listed with four year warranty, pano roof and 27K miles under $60K! Can’t blame end of the quarter anymore.
Unless you see the car, you really can't tell whether this is a good price or not. Condition matters, a lot. Consider that they also have another P85D with 10K more miles for $78.7K, so what do you think justifies this 32% higher price?

Tesla prices their cars at what they think they can sell it at and then gradually drop the price if they don't sell - logical sales strategy. Yes, they sometimes get priced back up, usually when a supply for a particular model is running low, again, which also makes sense. Unfortunately condition is not listed online, so we really cannot tell.

Reactions: 3mp_kwh
I had to refuse delivery on my CPO purchase today. The whole process is frustrating. I will get photos for 2 out of 10 vehicles I request and the ones that I get are worse than amateur shots and offer little detail.

My SA seems kind of “whatever” about doing any legwork. I really wish the sales folks were incentivized to, you know, help.

Now it’s back to watching the site.

I had to refuse delivery on my CPO purchase today. The whole process is frustrating. I will get photos for 2 out of 10 vehicles I request and the ones that I get are worse than amateur shots and offer little detail.

My SA seems kind of “whatever” about doing any legwork. I really wish the sales folks were incentivized to, you know, help.

Now it’s back to watching the site.
Did you lose any money because of this (deposit, transport fee)?

Did you lose any money because of this (deposit, transport fee)?

There was no initial transport fee since the vehicle was in my “region”

I am expecting to roll the $1000 deposit over to another vehicle once I locate one

Again, this is where I would expect a Sales staff to step in, locate a replacement vehicle, and collect the remainder of my money.

I am expecting to roll the $1000 deposit over to another vehicle once I locate one

Again, this is where I would expect a Sales staff to step in, locate a replacement vehicle, and collect the remainder of my money.

Can you share which car it was you turned down and for what reasons? Presumably they will list it up again and you might help somebody else avoid disappointment.

were you given any timetable by which you had to use the $1k deposit, or was it open-ended? and you refused after you saw photos? not seeing the actual vehicle...sorry about getting screwed.

were you given any timetable by which you had to use the $1k deposit, or was it open-ended? and you refused after you saw photos? not seeing the actual vehicle...sorry about getting screwed.

This just happened today and I have not been given a timetable. I am looking to buy ASAP.

The damage on the vehicle was not visible in the photos. When I went to see the vehicle in person today and pay the balance, one of the aluminum quarter panels was dented. I don’t know why they did not feel the need to take pics of it.

This just happened today and I have not been given a timetable. I am looking to buy ASAP.

The damage on the vehicle was not visible in the photos. When I went to see the vehicle in person today and pay the balance, one of the aluminum quarter panels was dented. I don’t know why they did not feel the need to take pics of it.

wtf! what was the model and price you paid? this seems to be adding to the horror stories of the new CPO process...did they SA say anything about the dent or let you notice it? did he put up much of a fight after you said you'd refuse it?

wtf! what was the model and price you paid? this seems to be adding to the horror stories of the new CPO process...did they SA say anything about the dent or let you notice it? did he put up much of a fight after you said you'd refuse it?

85D fully loaded for $60,600. My SA was not even there today. I’ll chalk that up to the holiday. But he did take photos of the vehicle upon arrival at the SC earlier in the week and said it “looks good”. No one made mention of the quarter panel dent. I knew there were some dings and scratches on the bumper, and I was okay with those. Once the aluminum panels are involved it becomes a different story. I was comfortable with the price I paid and the interior looked perfect but there were several thousand dollars worth of body work to get it good as new.

As soon as I pointed it out the DA’s did not give me any problems about refusing. I even inquired about any new inventory 75D’s they may have had in stock but since my SA wasn’t there, they had no access to inventory.

It is proving really difficult to give Tesla my money. Frankly, throughout the entire process I did not get the impression that anyone cares whether or not they sell cars. That could be because I am a bottom-dwelling CPO buyer though...

85D fully loaded for $60,600. My SA was not even there today. I’ll chalk that up to the holiday. But he did take photos of the vehicle upon arrival at the SC earlier in the week and said it “looks good”. No one made mention of the quarter panel dent. I knew there were some dings and scratches on the bumper, and I was okay with those. Once the aluminum panels are involved it becomes a different story. I was comfortable with the price I paid and the interior looked perfect but there were several thousand dollars worth of body work to get it good as new.

As soon as I pointed it out the DA’s did not give me any problems about refusing. I even inquired about any new inventory 75D’s they may have had in stock but since my SA wasn’t there, they had no access to inventory.

It is proving really difficult to give Tesla my money. Frankly, throughout the entire process I did not get the impression that anyone cares whether or not they sell cars. That could be because I am a bottom-dwelling CPO buyer though...

way to feel appreciated...

feel free to shoot me any of your leftover CPO inquiries, I'm actively looking to buy too...hope i have a bit more luck than your experience.

way to feel appreciated...

feel free to shoot me any of your leftover CPO inquiries, I'm actively looking to buy too...hope i have a bit more luck than your experience.

Yeah, good luck out there. The company is stretched so thin in terms of resources I think it’s going to be tough. I figured I would get in under the wire before the M3 flood gates were opened so I bought in June when they were not selling new cars.

Now that new sales are the focus again, I can only see the CPO experience getting worse.

I also forgot to mention I took a day off earlier this week for my original pick-up date but Tesla called to cancel as I was heading out the door because the car did not show up at the SC on time. So this was my 2nd day off work around the holiday...

I’ll probably do a full write-up when the process is finished but I expect it’s going to be more of what everyone already knows.

Unless you see the car, you really can't tell whether this is a good price or not. Condition matters, a lot. Consider that they also have another P85D with 10K more miles for $78.7K, so what do you think justifies this 32% higher price?

Years later, I still don't understand the crap-shoot, and initial marketing of used cars with no pics? That said, inventory at these lower prices isn't something I believe explained solely by condition. I still don't think Tesla has warmed up to Manheim auctions, like most do with surplus (off-lease, whaterver). So, some of it represents value, or as mentioned "supply" they are passing on...if you get lucky.

These cars are mechanical. The P**D Model S's have the biggest motor hardware, which makes them little different than P100Ds. Yes, more battery-limited to ~1,500Amps, but now we have this 50k+ check that needs to be written for those amps, and 15+ more KWh, assuming a Tesla trade with P85D. On hardware, this pricing seems odd, but I remember there has always been a skewed proportion of P85D cars in inventory. Versus P90D and P100D, P85Ds were way over-built.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Years later, I still don't understand the crap-shoot, and initial marketing of used cars with no pics? That said, inventory at these lower prices isn't something I believe explained solely by condition. I still don't think Tesla has warmed up to Manheim auctions, like most do with surplus (off-lease, whaterver). So, some of it represents value, or as mentioned "supply" they are passing on...if you get lucky.

These cars are mechanical. The P**D Model S's have the biggest motor hardware, which makes them little different than P100Ds. Yes, more battery-limited to ~1,500Amps, but now we have this 50k+ check that needs to be written for those amps, and 15+ more KWh, assuming a Tesla trade with P85D. On hardware, this pricing seems odd, but I remember there has always been a skewed proportion of P85D cars in inventory. Versus P90D and P100D, P85Ds were way over-built.
I don't think they were overbuilt. I remember the TMC rumors were that 10% of the cars built were P85D's. What I think is causing a larger stock of those is a combination of:
  1. They were the top of the line cars, therefore attracting the "I must have the top of the line" crowd. That crowd is willing to trade perfectly good cars in and pay the premium to get the new top of the line.
  2. Top of the line cars are leased more often, especially that Tesla discounted the demo P85D's heavily for leases around quarter ends. The bulk of P85D leases are coming back now.
  3. Purchases are 4 or 5 years financing, so those more value conscious customers are still in their 85D's or 70D's, still making payments. They are perfectly working cars, why would you upgrade?
  4. Those who buy P85D's may be pushing them harder than others, so some of those
  5. 85D or 90D CPO's seems to go faster than P85D's, probably because people who look at CPOs look for value and 90D may seem like a better value to most - longer range, lower price, similar performance. Insane P85D (without ludicrous), which is pretty much every CPO I've seen in a while, is faster accelerating than 85D, but not as drastically as it would seem on paper since Tesla fudged the numbers very well to make P85D look so much better than it really was, but after all the marketing smoke cleared (after they no longer made P85Ds) the insane version only has 46hp more than 85D and is only .5s faster 0-60, and even less difference 40-80mph -> see attached specs from the website AFTER Tesla came clean about P85D not having the Elon touted and advertised 691hp.
TeslaNumbers.png

So, combining all those factors, I am not at all surprised they have a disproportionately large number of P85D CPOs.

Reactions: tpoltron
I also forgot to mention I took a day off earlier this week for my original pick-up date but Tesla called to cancel as I was heading out the door because the car did not show up at the SC on time. So this was my 2nd day off work around the holiday...

I’ll probably do a full write-up when the process is finished but I expect it’s going to be more of what everyone already knows.

sorry for the questions - but when you put the $1k deposit...you didn't have to pay the remainder of the balance to have it transferred within your region to your SC, or was it literally at your SC so you just went over and looked at it. I'm surprised you don't have to pay the balance of the car before you have it moved anywhere...

sorry for the questions - but when you put the $1k deposit...you didn't have to pay the remainder of the balance to have it transferred within your region to your SC, or was it literally at your SC so you just went over and looked at it. I'm surprised you don't have to pay the balance of the car before you have it moved anywhere...

I paid the $1K deposit and the balance was not due until I physically saw the car which had to be moved from another regional SC.

Buying a $60K car that is known to be a crapshoot in terms of physical condition is insane. Not even Tesla is asking people to do that...yet.