Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insane P85D (without ludicrous), which is pretty much every CPO I've seen in a while, is faster accelerating than 85D, but not as drastically as it would seem on paper since Tesla fudged the numbers very well to make P85D look so much better than it really was..691HP.

I never thought people who knew cars believed the "691HP' stuff, and the night Elon said it, he talked of "motor power'. Me? I was like "here we go.."

P85D's remain about a full second faster than 85D, basically 3 vs. 4 seconds to 60mph. There was no exaggerating, there, like there was later, with quarter mile times. I suppose the horsepower stuff is still only a scab.

P85D's remain about a full second faster than 85D, basically 3 vs. 4 seconds to 60mph.
Where did you get this data? Even according to Tesla own spec (see my earlier post in this thread), P85D does 0-60 in 3.1s with 1ft rollout while 85D does 4.2s without rollout. That's not 1 full second faster 0-60mph, no matter which way you slice and dice it.

PS> Measure with longer roll out and you can be 2 or more seconds faster.

Reactions: davidc18
Where did you get this data? Even according to Tesla own spec (see my earlier post in this thread), P85D does 0-60 in 3.1s with 1ft rollout while 85D does 4.2s without rollout. That's not 1 full second faster 0-60mph, no matter which way you slice and dice it.

PS> Measure with longer roll out and you can be 2 or more seconds faster.

By now, these cars have been thoroughly tested, both ways. Clinging to an (uncommon) no roll-out time, of 4.2, is something I would take as affirming the difference. For hardware, small/large motors in P cars hold a big advantage. If bias matters, having more in back is another feature they provide.

Now a p85d at $58,300 with pano and four year warranty! Only $2K more than I paid for my p85 two and a half years ago with the same mileage (33K). I cannot believe these cars are so abused that they need to unload them cheap. Any thoughts before I upgrade? I know, no ludicrous, because 3.1 to 60 isn’t fast enough.

• Love
Sure wish I was in the market to buy today! I would pick the titanium metallic P85D for $58,000 with only 26K miles and the four year warranty. Seems like the best deal going if the car has not been abused. Probably no ludicrous, but 3.1 to sixty is plenty fast enough.

Reactions: DanCar
Sure wish I was in the market to buy today! I would pick the titanium metallic P85D for $58,000 with only 26K miles and the four year warranty. Seems like the best deal going if the car has not been abused. Probably no ludicrous, but 3.1 to sixty is plenty fast enough.
You only wish that because you don't have to deal with the headaches of buying a used car in the $50K-$100K range. Say you got all excited about a great deal like you mentioned, then realized there is a reason why this P85D with only 26K sells for $58K while others are listed at much higher (saw one few days ago with 30K miles listed at $81K) - for example condition. And then there is the Tesla CPO experience, people not calling you back, unable to inspect the car before paying for it, etc. There are plenty of posts around TMC about how much "fun" there is to be had buying a used car.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
Already had the ‘headache’ of buying a used car when I got a ride to Paramus, NJ two and a half years ago to pick up my site unseen CPO P85 with 32K miles for $56,100. Best purchase I ever made. Sorry, but my CPO experience was phenomenal, but this forum is not an avenue for satisfied Tesla customers, just curmudgeon owners who expected more of a car company than is realistic. I have been pleased with everything Tesla, but maybe I just lucked out and got a great car.
Cannot believe Whitex can be that dissatisfied if he apparently owns two models s’s.

Reactions: DanCar
Already had the ‘headache’ of buying a used car when I got a ride to Paramus, NJ two and a half years ago to pick up my site unseen CPO P85 with 32K miles for $56,100. Best purchase I ever made. Sorry, but my CPO experience was phenomenal, but this forum is not an avenue for satisfied Tesla customers, just curmudgeon owners who expected more of a car company than is realistic. I have been pleased with everything Tesla, but maybe I just lucked out and got a great car.
Cannot believe Whitex can be that dissatisfied if he apparently owns two models s’s.

I hope you realize and understand the fact that since you purchased your Tesla CPO two and a half years ago, they have made it much worse offering an awful experience to some customers. Yes, they still deliver some cars in great condition for those who are lucky but other cars are delivered dismal condition.

They have literately tried to deliver CPO cars with holes in body panels based on photos shared on this forum. I bet you would not have been happy if they tried to deliver a car to you with holes and an interior trashed with with large stains and excess damage. This is what is now happening to some customers.

The real kicker is once when a customer rejected a CPO in awful condition, they listed it back up for over $10,000 more. You can't even count on the pricing to be a fair representation of the car's condition any more. They really need to fix the CPO mess.

You only wish that because you don't have to deal with the headaches of buying a used car in the $50K-$100K range. Say you got all excited about a great deal like you mentioned, then realized there is a reason why this P85D with only 26K sells for $58K while others are listed at much higher (saw one few days ago with 30K miles listed at $81K) - for example condition. And then there is the Tesla CPO experience, people not calling you back, unable to inspect the car before paying for it, etc. There are plenty of posts around TMC about how much "fun" there is to be had buying a used car.

Thanks for your post and offering some perspective.

I bet the apologists who see nothing wrong with how awfully they treat CPO customers would change their tune instantly if they were presented with a $60,000 used car that look like it came from a junk yard.

Just because your experience of buying a car sight unseen worked out, doesn't mean it will for most people. Every week people win lotteries, doesn't mean most people who play will win. I haven't had the headache of a CPO car, but given Tesla latest policies of "sight unseen purchase" it can't be a great feeling to be buying a car in a bag for $60K. Found more than a few posts here of people who were not very happy.

My Tesla purchase experiences were all new and varied quiet a bit - I had some bad OA's and some great ones. DS'es were mostly on the bad side, luckily for me the good OA's were picking up the slack (e.g. show up for a scheduled trade-in appraisal, DS not there, OA did the appraisal). My Service Centers experiences were all stellar, and the biggest reason I kept buying Teslas (especially important considering Tesla's required most service visits in the first year of the car's life of all brands I've owned in the past). That, and the fact that I love EV drive-train performance, not having to go to gas stations, and the handling of Model S (prefer to drive myself, autopilot IMO is a trick to show to your friends and a potential hazard).

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
Thanks for your post and offering some perspective.

I bet the apologists who see nothing wrong with how awfully they treat CPO customers would change their tune instantly if they were presented with a $60,000 used car that look like it came from a junk yard.

Did you have one experience that made you angry? I had one, but with resolution. I believe it is mostly raw chaos and loose ends. It also isnt' unusual for 50-100k cars to not file insurance claims, but have repairs done which do not impact the VIN histories (and therefore, value). Same for all brands, and paint depth gauges and following your nose before signing apples to Tesla, too. What's different is if the company looks out for exactly this, and other issues when it stamps a car "CPO". Some do, some don't. Tesla's standards may be drifting again, but "junk yard"??

Did you have one experience that made you angry? I had one, but with resolution. I believe it is mostly raw chaos and loose ends. It also isnt' unusual for 50-100k cars to not file insurance claims, but have repairs done which do not impact the VIN histories (and therefore, value). Same for all brands, and paint depth gauges and following your nose before signing apples to Tesla, too. What's different is if the company looks out for exactly this, and other issues when it stamps a car "CPO". Some do, some don't. Tesla's standards may be drifting again, but "junk yard"??

Beware of 5YJSA4H48FF091551

I rest my case and there are other examples of CPO cars on the forum in even worse shape.

The bottom line is that a Kia dealer would not sell a CPO car in such awful condition and IMHO Tesla should not either.

Car's having repairs done without filing insurance claims has absolutely nothing to do with offering cars for sale in such poor condition.

I feel every customer who buys a car from Tesla deserves the joy of driving it home in dignity without having to take it to a body shop.

I just changed my mind. Now, if in the market it would be the dark blue P85D with less than 7500 miles for only $58,900. Cannot imagine that car could be in that bad a shape with such few miles. Probably no ludicrous, but come on. And a four year warranty!