TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CPO Prices

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Stan Moraski, May 10, 2018.

1. Stan Moraski

Stan Moraski Brownout

When I bought my 13 CPO p85 two and a half years ago, I thought it was fairly priced and a good deal at $56K. Immediately starting looking for my next great car (p85d), and thought no way due to price. Now I see no less than six p85 d’s For under $65K. Several s85’s for more than that. Anyone know what is going on with CPO pricing? Very challenging to follow the logic.

2. Maxv

Maxv Member

I don't know if there is any logic, but now that they're not refurbishing cars, perhaps they're factoring vehicle condition into their pricing?

3. Super Dude

Super Dude Member

Lots of the first ones that were leased are coming off lease now so the supply is going up. But as Max said, not sure whether there's any logic.

4. twonius

twonius Member

It's been bananas for months. My guess is they'd rather sell you a new Model 3 than a used Model S.

• Like x 1
  5. plugngo

plugngo New Member

They have some nice p85ds for upper 60s with reasonable mileage . They used to be way higher

• Like x 1
  6. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Maybe lease residuals were set unrealistically high?

Prices are coming down but still a bit elevated. The negative is that a few well priced ‘used’vehicles I’ve inquired about and received pics on were just not loved - scraped up bumpers, dings and dents, and just used and abused interior. One would think the lease return customer was charged for the damages so this appears to be an opportunity to either recoup against higher than market residual or pure profit taking.

7. Stan Moraski

Stan Moraski Brownout

But a CPO p85d with 13K miles for less than $62K? That is amazing to me. Am Imissing something here?

8. twonius

twonius Member

#8 twonius, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

over 50k miles....only gets the 2 year warranty.

10. twonius

twonius Member

Vs an M5 or E63 I'd be a lot less worried about mileage on a Tesla with a VIN after 50k. especially considering the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the powertrain.

But ok, here's one for $3k more with 13k miles and a full warranty.
    85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H20EFP64957 | Tesla

11. Stan Moraski

Stan Moraski Brownout

Now two weeks later, no p85d’s under 70K. What is going on?

12. David.85D

David.85D Member

Not “powertrain”. Just drive unit and battery. That leaves some parts like the axles not covered...

13. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

14. twonius

twonius Member

Youre experience may differ but typically CV joints aren't covered in powertrain warranties since they're wear items. But yeah, if you strip the splines you're on your own.
    What is a Powertrain Warranty? » AutoGuide.com News

15. DanCar

DanCar Member

#15 DanCar, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  16. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

They are holding cars at dealers to get higher prices. I saw 6 cars being held at local place. He said, no hurry to get them on sale. Flooding market drives down prices. The old saying. Supply and demand.
    Why buy CPO? Not worth the extra 5k . I bought off internet, saved 10k off cpo. You can deal on private sale. Not on cpo. You can fly out to get it, save 1k. I flew to Atlanta. Drove to D.C.. then home. It was exciting the first week.
    Hint. Watch every Youtube video before you pick it up. Makes first day very easy.

17. Julie's MS

Julie's MS Member

Must be doing this for the Canadian market too. I only see two Model S cars for sale on the website. Surely Tesla has more then 2 used Model S cars in the inventory for sale. Makes it hard to know what the Tesla stock is without calling the dealership.

18. DanCar

DanCar Member

Couldn't find a non CPO P85D with autopilot for $60K. Interesting thing about CPO site is that price is dropping 1% each day, so in a week the price will be $60K.

19. DanCar

DanCar Member

Latest CPO deal: 70D for $50K with autopilot.
    Model S 70D 5YJSA1S29FF089216 | Tesla
    Seems weird to me that Tesla would charge more for 60's with no dual drive, no four year warranty or no autopilot. Why do they price the 70Ds less than 60s? I guess they are going to be hanging on to those 60s.

20. Stan Moraski

Stan Moraski Brownout

Another P85D listed with four year warranty, pano roof and 27K miles under $60K! Can’t blame end of the quarter anymore.