Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO purchase...let's see how long this takes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After MUCH research, I finally found "my" car! 2014 85kwh Model S. It's a CPO, although I was open to dealer or private sale. The car is in NY, I'm in Denver. If it was closer, I'd have flown out to get it & road-tripped home, but 3 boys in baseball doesn't allow for that much time away during the season. So I'm having it shipped. I put the deposit down on Tuesday, March 21.

The next day my CPO contact called & told me it could be up to 8 weeks before I have the car, so not to secure financing just yet as it's only good for 30 days. What?! Pre-order, I was under the impression delivery was 2-4 weeks; I never would have bought the car if it really was going to take 8 weeks. I asked her if that was realistic, and basically there are a lot of factors that go into it, so yes, it could be. I was pretty bummed.

Then, an hour later, my Denver delivery contact called & said I could possibly have it before the end of March! He urged me to secure financing right away, and even called back the next day to see if I'd done it yet. But as of today, the car still hasn't shipped, so I'm not super optimistic about the 10 day delivery. But fingers are crossed!

I read several posts on here that told stories of CPO delivery taking a very long time. Most of these were from late 2016. Does anyone have any more positive experiences since then?

Reactions: DÆrik and SMAlset
I picked up my inventory car in Denver; it was located in California, about 45 minutes from the factory. Denver assured me that they would immediately pull it out of inventory/test drives and get it to Colorado. Sixteen days later, the DS called me to say "Good news!! It's at the factory!" I was NOT pleased: it took more than two weeks to get that far?! And that's supposed to be "good news"?! Then nearly two weeks of no info whatever, then it was on its way and Denver turned it around pretty quickly and scheduled delivery.

And for that "service" I got to pay an extra $2000. It still leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

So yes, rather than underpromising and overperforming, the company seems to regularly overpromise and underperform, but Denver will push hard for you once they have control.

Reactions: Amykelly
For what it's worth, I placed an order on a car that was identified as being local to my service center. Turns out it wasn't. It was in Connecticut instead of Illinois. And they needed to ship it. My timeline has gone from 4-6 weeks to now 6-8 weeks. I placed my order on 03/03, and I'll be lucky if this is done by 04/15.

The car started it's move in the early part of March, but was stranded in NJ for about 2 weeks. I was told it was due to arrive late last week. And from there, the final CPO inspection, repaint the rear bumper, fix frunk dents, and that should be done. Hopefully they start work on it this week. I still don't have actual photos of the car.

I ordered mine 8 days ago. They said it will take 4-6 weeks. The car still in TN. It has to go to Ct for refurbishment. I was able to waive the 2k fee since there were no "d" cars anywhere around NJ..... I don't want to wait more than 6w

For what it's worth, I placed an order on a car that was identified as being local to my service center. Turns out it wasn't. It was in Connecticut instead of Illinois. And they needed to ship it. My timeline has gone from 4-6 weeks to now 6-8 weeks. I placed my order on 03/03, and I'll be lucky if this is done by 04/15.

The car started it's move in the early part of March, but was stranded in NJ for about 2 weeks. I was told it was due to arrive late last week. And from there, the final CPO inspection, repaint the rear bumper, fix frunk dents, and that should be done. Hopefully they start work on it this week. I still don't have actual photos of the car.

Wow. Did they charge you for shipping since it was misidentified as being local? I don't have pics of my actual car yet either.

So good & bad today.

Bad is that I found out that Colorado did away with the tax credit for used cars on 12/31/16. We are new to Colorado & the laws here, but a local dealer (not Tesla) told us that such a credit existed. We looked it up & indeed it did. As long as the car had not ever been registered in Colorado (so the credit had not been paid out on that car), used electric vehicles qualified. We specifically looked for an out-of-state car for that reason. I would either fly out to get it, or if it was too far (as ours was), even with $2000 shipping, we would still be ahead of the game. But, when talking to my Denver rep, after my car had shipped, I asked how the credit worked & he told me it had ended early. UGH. Not sure if knowing that earlier would have changed my final decision, but it probably would have lowered the price range I was using. Moral of the story - do not depend on the Internet for fact-checking. Or if you do, confirm!!

But the good news is, my car shipped from NY and will be in Denver tomorrow or Thursday. We're scheduled to pick it up on Friday morning. The car was pre-certified in NY, so there "shouldn't" be anything to fix here (although realistically, I realize there will probably be something). So fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly & I am driving my car on Friday!

Last edited:
Good luck OP, that's too bad about the tax credit.

I found a local car and put my deposit down on Feb 17th. They had to truck it down from LA to Buena Park but since their service department was so busy they trucked it to the Palm Springs location. I got an email last Wednesday saying my car was ready. Ummm, thanks for the heads up. I scrambled to finalize my loan and picked up my car yesterday. So a total of almost 6 weeks from deposit to delivery.

Here's a timeline from our CPO order in January.

Ordered online in Toronto, car was located in Montreal.
  • week 1 - test drive (similarly equipped local car), credit checks and other paperwork
  • week 2 - trade-in processing
  • weeks 3-4 - CPO inspection and work in Montreal (got a worksheet, can't fathom why it took two weeks - they haven't really done anything, and there are still outstanding problems to be fixed, waiting for a service appointment)
  • week 5 - transport to Toronto (no charge)
  • week 6 - registration and delivery

I put a deposit on a 2013 P85 CPO on 03/09/17, car was in Dublin, Ca....was told it would take 4-6 weeks for the entire CPO process including getting delivered to the Buena Park location where the CPO work will be done. Yesterday I received pictures of the car in Buena Park and was told still looking at mid to late April for delivery.

Wow. Did they charge you for shipping since it was misidentified as being local? I don't have pics of my actual car yet either.

No they didn't charge me shipping. Although I had specifically said I wanted a local car to get the purchase completed as quickly as possible. Sad. I passed up on two other cars which were slightly further away (OH and IN) because I wanted one in IL.

• Helpful
Here's a timeline from our CPO order in January.

Ordered online in Toronto, car was located in Montreal.
  • week 1 - test drive (similarly equipped local car), credit checks and other paperwork
  • week 2 - trade-in processing
  • weeks 3-4 - CPO inspection and work in Montreal (got a worksheet, can't fathom why it took two weeks - they haven't really done anything, and there are still outstanding problems to be fixed, waiting for a service appointment)
  • week 5 - transport to Toronto (no charge)
  • week 6 - registration and delivery
Why didn't they charge you for shipping? Sure would've been nice to avoid that! As far as the outstanding issues, what are they? Anything major or more cosmetic? I still haven't seen pictures of my car, no idea about its history.

I had the electrician out today for an estimate of what they would need to do. Tesla has 4 approved vendors for my area (45 minutes SW of Denver). I called all of them. One came out today. One said they didn't service my area. Another said there would be an estimate charge because we were out of their service area, and an additional charge to come out to do the work for the same reason. The fourth never called me back, despite my having left two messages.

So I basically have one option. Luckily, I really liked the guy & he seems very knowledgeable. He asked my preferences, then gave me my options (with estimates). We have two garages & for once my preference was not the most expensive (unlike my taste in cars). :) I have him booked for Monday. Does $895 sound about right? The place who was going to charge me trip charges said most installations are between $1600-$4000, so I was happy with this guy's estimate.

As of now, we're still on for Friday pickup....!

him booked for Monday. Does $895 sound about right? The place who was going to charge me trip charges said most installations are between $1600-$4000, so I was happy with this guy's estimate.

The first place I got an estimate from quoted me $1,650. I took the quote and emailed a bunch of other Tesla approved electricians. Most of them said that was too much. One of them said if I took pics of the garage and the panel he could give me a quote online. I did, he said $650, booked him, came and did it.

$900 is not too much definitely, but I'd have tried to get another estimate.

Why didn't they charge you for shipping?
We were secretly looking forward to visiting Montreal. Bought a car there once before, and it was a fun road trip. Coming home in a new Tesla would've been even more exciting, but the delivery advisor said they'd transport it for free. Apparently since Toronto and Montreal are the two major customer hubs for Tesla in the country, they have a lot of back and forth traffic already, and the distance is not that long to charge extra for it.

As far as the outstanding issues, what are they? Anything major or more cosmetic?
One major remaining problem is the pano roof seal. The rubber trim has tears and lumps around the perimeter, and there are signs of water staining on the underside of the glass. Waiting for parts and our spot in the service queue.

I still haven't seen pictures of my car, no idea about its history.
Not seeing the car in person was a major downside, as it would've helped clear up several issues we encountered on delivery.

The car was clean overall, but not detailed well (if at all). Came with the wrong set of wheels (base instead of the Cyclones listed on the bill of sale), black calipers instead of the advertised red, loose glovebox lid, rock scuffs on the nose cone and the spoiler, and some minor missing trim bits in the frunk. The delivery team seemed sincere in their desire to get things right, so we ended up ordering the parts and getting a bonus set of winter wheels for the trouble (plus the Cyclones).

I had the electrician out today for an estimate of what they would need to do. Does $895 sound about right?
$900 from an "approved" electrician is probably reasonable. We've had a similar parts+labor estimate a couple of years ago from an Bosch charger installer when we got our first EV. It does help to shop around though, since installers who specialize on EVSE installs are aware of local rebates, and had been known to inflate their estimates compared to other unaffiliated electricians.

I had an electrician install a 240v in my garage when I had my first MS and they charged me $450 if I remember correctly.

I need to have another one installed as we have moved and waiting on an estimate from the same electrician.