Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Tesla pricing error. Honor price?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody! I'm new here and hopefully MS owner one day. I live in OC, California. I've been constantly searching for a CPO MS thats a great deal. I've found her couple of days through Tesla CPO site. 2013 Grey $41k, 35k miles, pano, 21inch wheels, smart suspension and especially free supercharing. Too much of a good deal to pass up. I clicked and placed the order like my life depended on it. Later, I received the order agreement but priced at $48k. Waited who my adviser will be. Finally able to receive info this morning and contacted her via email about the situation. She contacted her management specifically said "According to management; there was an internal error for 2 minutes on the pricing of this vehicle. Unfortunately, we will not be able to honor the error in price. We apologize for the inconvenience, and if you would like a refund we would be happy to provide it"

I've called somebody who works at a dealership and said they have to honor the price.

Are they right for Not honoring the price? Any suggestions?Thanks!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: YNOT3
It was on the site for two minutes?

Ask them to prove it.

Did you get a confirmation email?

Was your credit card charged immediately?

I'm thinking in Calif they're gonna need to sell you the car for the stated price. . .
Actually I screenshoted the price of $41k before I placed the order knowing it was too good to be true. Sent email of the screenshot earlier as well

And yes my credit card was charged immediately $1k for deposit. Considered binding contract?

I don’t believe this is any different from a store advertising the wrong price. It does not have to be honored.

You, yourself, said you knew it was too good to be true.

Now should they? That’s a customer service question. I’ve seen signs in Best Buy, Target, etc saying sorry. Similar for travel prices.

Reactions: Galve2000 and YNOT3
Hello everybody! I'm new here and hopefully MS owner one day. I live in OC, California. I've been constantly searching for a CPO MS thats a great deal. I've found her couple of days through Tesla CPO site. 2013 Grey $41k, 35k miles, pano, 21inch wheels, smart suspension and especially free supercharing. Too much of a good deal to pass up. I clicked and placed the order like my life depended on it. Later, I received the order agreement but priced at $48k. Waited who my adviser will be. Finally able to receive info this morning and contacted her via email about the situation. She contacted her management specifically said "According to management; there was an internal error for 2 minutes on the pricing of this vehicle. Unfortunately, we will not be able to honor the error in price. We apologize for the inconvenience, and if you would like a refund we would be happy to provide it"

I've called somebody who works at a dealership and said they have to honor the price.

Are they right for Not honoring the price? Any suggestions?Thanks!!!
Suggestion: move on. Take the refund. Find something else

We all make mistakes. Even though they have much deeper pockets than you, it does not appear reasonable for them to take a $7,000 hit for an error. If the low price was intentionally deceptive, then I would fight them tooth and nail. That does not seem to be the case this time. If it were me, I would think that I did not earn the $7,000; it belongs to someone else - even though it is a corporate entity.

...something...

Please clarify which part did you disagree on:

1) Others have posted wrong low prices before.

Are you saying that Tesla is the ONLY one who does it and there's no others?

2) IBM did that for 2 hours but did not honor the price.

Are you saying that IBM finally honor the its posted price?

3) IBM customers buy $1 laptops in site snafu

Are you saying that the article was not factual?

Please clarify which part did you disagree on:

1) Others have posted wrong low prices before.

Are you saying that Tesla is the ONLY one who does it and there's no others?

2) IBM did that for 2 hours but did not honor the price.

Are you saying that IBM finally honor the its posted price?

3) IBM customers buy $1 laptops in site snafu

Are you saying that the article was not factual?
They made a mistake. Get over it. Buy something else. Can’t be much more clear than that.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
The difference between $41 and $48 [which you prob could have negotiated down to $46 because of the error, is not egregious.

It not an airline pricing a fare in pesos instead of dollars. It is not a $1 laptop. It is not so far off of what vehicles sell for that you go - 'omg, thats such a great price it might be wrong.'

Meaning the average reasonable person who was looking at the car. Now YOU knew it was unreasonably low - and that is what sinks you when the time comes to testify. But I honestly do not know how someone can testify as to a third party's pricing thoughts - its pure speculation.

but you are still in California which has some pretty serious consumer protection statutes. . .

Last edited:
By putting $1000 down and committing to buy the car, he and Tesla entered into a contract. It's that simple. He asked if it's a binding contract. Yes. If he waited past the cooling off period he would forfeit his $1000 is he decided not to buy the car. It's a binding contract and there are strong bait and switch laws in CA preventing dealers from pricing a car a changing it later.

I ordered a loaded 2013 P85 4 months ago and it was only $9k more than this car, so it's not unreasonable that this car could sell for$41k.

...By putting $1000 down and committing to buy the car, he and Tesla entered into a contract. It's that simple...

I wish it is that simple. You need to look up the Reservation Agreement which is not the same as Purchase Agreement. Mine says:

"5. Purchase Price

Base vehicle and option pricing may not be available at the time of your reservation and, if pricing is available, it is subject to change until agreed upon in an executed Purchase Agreement."

just wait until one with a few more miles comes in, and pay less. what's a few miles? and why start a big beef with a company you are looking to do business with?

shake it off, rub some dirt on it! you'll be fine there are more where that one came from. patience = prize