Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Center For Biological Diversity is suing the CPUC NEM3 decision. This is fabulous. I have supported the Center for many, many years. They are very good at getting stuff done. Looking over the filing, they are making some excellent arguments.

Attachments

• R.20-08-020_CBD_PCF_EWG Rehearing Application.pdf
    493.8 KB · Views: 55
Isn't it a bit late for arguments?

PG&E is already busy burying $10Bn worth of underground lines and someone's gotta pay for this. Plus all the other waste PG&E is spending every second of every day to keep their bloat afloat.

Solar + ESS customers need to pay pay pay. Poor people, rich people, everyone needs to pay pay pay.

Nope, not late for an appeal like this, then comes the lawsuit.

Why can't someone sue California challenging the PG&E monopoly and their historical spending / tactics are wasteful? 😿

I know the Right likes to blame the amount of renewables as the reason California's electricity is so expensive. But California also has some of the highest transmission/distribution/support costs in the USA... and last I checked renewables aren't the culprit for that. Why can't we have bipartisan support to take a hard look at how poorly PG&E is run?

Reactions: Patrick66 and gene
Why can't someone sue California challenging the PG&E monopoly and their historical spending / tactics are wasteful? 😿

I know the Right likes to blame the amount of renewables as the reason California's electricity is so expensive. But California also has some of the highest transmission/distribution/support costs in the USA... and last I checked renewables aren't the culprit for that. Why can't we have bipartisan support to take a hard look at how poorly PG&E is run?
because PG&E has bipartisan support through their contributions.

because PG&E has bipartisan support through their contributions.

There is no way so many politicians can be bribed with only $600k? Right? Maybe? Damn.

$600k is like 1/32 of a mile and one 15 second advert of that undergrounding BS they keep spamming us with on TV.

• Funny
Reactions: Vines
just got this

Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) has asked Demand Side Analytics, an independent research company, to conduct an online survey on PG&E’s behalf. The research will help design rate plans that could save money for customers like you. It will only take 15 minutes and you will receive a $25 e-gift card as a thank you for completing the survey.

just got this

Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) has asked Demand Side Analytics, an independent research company, to conduct an online survey on PG&E’s behalf. The research will help design rate plans that could save money for customers like you. It will only take 15 minutes and you will receive a $25 e-gift card as a thank you for completing the survey.
careful. Research surveys are rarely anonymous and often the cheapest way to gather data.

just got this

You are a net producer right? It will be fun to see how they think that a new rate plan could save even more money.

(moderator note)

This is a reminder that, as much as possible, I want to keep politics out of this subforum. If you find yourself typing "The left", "the right" or anything of that nature, you should probably erase it and not make that point, in this thread, or this subforum.

You all wanted this to be left in this subform instead of where the thread actually belongs, which is the energy policy subforum. For that to continue to happen (thread staying here) any mention of political sides should be checked at the door.

You are a net producer right? It will be fun to see how they think that a new rate plan could save even more money.
No I'm not a net producer. I have Zero NEM balance, but I still net consume. I'm still on EV1-A so I have a Peak range from 2pm to 9pm. With PWs, I can cover the rest of peak from when solar stops to 9pm. Before I added the PWs, I was about $200 balance due on NEM. I only have 1 year left on that rate plan. Will see how it goes with a shorter Peak during sunshine.

Going to start survey. If it gets too personal, I'll stop:
this is at beginning
Your input can help PG&E design electric rates that help the grid be more reliable and more sustainable while also helping customers like you save on their electric bill.

Going to start survey. If it gets too personal, I'll stop:
this is at beginning
Your input can help PG&E design electric rates that help the grid be more reliable and more sustainable while also helping customers like you save on their electric bill.
typically you have a UID within the URL/hyperlink.

lol@ second part, their lobbying never stops. Even to the consumer.

a little bit later

Thank you for sharing your experience with your current rate plan. Next, we’ll introduce optional new rate plans that PG&E is considering offering to customers.
With the new optional rate plans being considered, the price you pay differs by when electricity is used, like with Time-of-Use. The difference between these new types of rates and Time-of-Use is that the price would change more often, in fact for some of them the price would change every hour, every day. The price would more closely match the costs to generate the electricity during that hour.
Prices would be higher on approximately 10 high grid stress days per year, and would encourage customers to reduce stress on the grid by shifting their use. The prices would be lower on other days. Overall, there are many more hours when prices are lower.

a little bit later

Thank you for sharing your experience with your current rate plan. Next, we’ll introduce optional new rate plans that PG&E is considering offering to customers.
With the new optional rate plans being considered, the price you pay differs by when electricity is used, like with Time-of-Use. The difference between these new types of rates and Time-of-Use is that the price would change more often, in fact for some of them the price would change every hour, every day. The price would more closely match the costs to generate the electricity during that hour.
Prices would be higher on approximately 10 high grid stress days per year, and would encourage customers to reduce stress on the grid by shifting their use. The prices would be lower on other days. Overall, there are many more hours when prices are lower.

If only we were allowed to grid-charge those Powerwalls during those lower-price times.

completed Survey. It was mostly about introducing new Rate schedules that are more complex ranging from rates changing on certain days of the year when grid is "stressed" to hourly changes everyday of the year. I don't think most people would understand the schedules based on the way they were described. They wanted to know if you would change usage based on these rates to save money, make the grid more reliable, or help the environment. They also asked about using smart devices or even a 3rd party to help you manage your usage. They asked if you would pay this 3rd party a % of your savings if they helped. The 2 last questions were the best. How satisfied are you with PG&E's products and services and how much do you trust them as a company.

How satisfied are you with PG&E's products and services and how much do you trust them as a company.

not at all and not at all, thanks

what customers aside from the people in this forum are going to respond to hourly demand pricing?? people don't even understand the fixed periods on the current TOU schedules.

not at all and not at all, thanks

what customers aside from the people in this forum are going to respond to hourly demand pricing?? people don't even understand the fixed periods on the current TOU schedules.
I find the concept of demand pricing in 2023 borderline ridiculous.

Really, the main demand option is to not run laundry. Modern lighting is not a very significant peak draw. Telling a bunch of people to just suck it up and let the house get to 100 seems poor public policy.

I really don't know how this variable pricing got so entrenched.

Reactions: astrorob