Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Show me how many folks have done this. What does it costs. And how do they heat in the winter! Even though I have 30K of solar, and 5 batteries, there is no way I could go 100% off grid and afford it!! The key is most have gas heating so it is easy to say go off grid
Even with gas heating, one would need a generator for back up in the winter, even if doubling the amount of solar panels (vs. a normal grid tie installation). Maybe a mini wind turbine?

Even with gas heating, one would need a generator for back up in the winter, even if doubling the amount of solar panels (vs. a normal grid tie installation). Maybe a mini wind turbine?

And, also, likely lifestyle changes as well, would be my guess. I mean, My normal "house run rate" for electricity during this time of year, is somewhere between 24-35 kWh, but if I go into " High conservation mode" I can get that number lower... all the way down to basically just powering my 2 refrigerators and a few light or something like 12-15 kWh a day. Thats not using washing machine or dishwasher, or oven, etc.

I would want at least 50% more solar and 1-2 more batteries, along with a backup generator (just in case) if I was going to "try" to completely disconnect the grid, and that doesnt even account for the fact that I am fairly sure that I cant do that, even if I wanted to.

Reactions: Zorg
Depends on where you live. Some cities/counties require you to have utilities and will red tag your house if you don't.
Yep. We are required to have all utilities, gas, electric, and water/trash/sewer. We have to pay even if we never use a single one.

That’s the other issue with me going to all electric is that the gas company will still charge us the monthly service fee.

I agree that NEM1/2 is lop sided. But would you invest in a 15 yr ROI with unexpected outcomes? No one does. Most people don't stay in one home for 15 years. Prove me wrong

My gut feeling is, at least in CA, the average time in a home is likely lower than that. This quick google search turned this up which appears to show that pretty much everywhere in CA the average time in a home is less than 15 years, and in some places its 6-7 years.

Of course, its called "average" for a reason. If that average were taken just from members of this specific subforum (for example), I expect it might loo quite different.

And, also, likely lifestyle changes as well, would be my guess. I mean, My normal "house run rate" for electricity during this time of year, is somewhere between 24-35 kWh, but if I go into " High conservation mode" I can get that number lower... all the way down to basically just powering my 2 refrigerators and a few light or something like 12-15 kWh a day. Thats not using washing machine or dishwasher, or oven, etc.

I would want at least 50% more solar and 1-2 more batteries, along with a backup generator (just in case) if I was going to "try" to completely disconnect the grid, and that doesnt even account for the fact that I am fairly sure that I cant do that, even if I wanted to.
I am running about 70kwh per day now. Heat pumps in cold are expensive

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484

Our normal house usage this time of year is about 10-15 kWh and that includes ruining the pool every day for 2 hours. It’s the summer we’re our usage really skyrockets because of the AC and pool pump running 8-10 hours.

I am running about 70kwh per day now. Heat pumps in cold are expensive
Our biggest month was July due to the AC running most days and we averaged 30 kWh/day in July.

Average per day for the whole year is 30 kWh. And the per day usage for the lowest month, January and February is 15 kWh. Some days we will use less than 10 kWh for the day (winter days were we don’t need to run the heat, such as today, and we don’t use the dishwasher.)

Attachments

• 97B54994-D1E4-4C7D-81A6-BE1017DEE6B8.png
    97B54994-D1E4-4C7D-81A6-BE1017DEE6B8.png
    152 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: h2ofun
My gut feeling is, at least in CA, the average time in a home is likely lower than that. This quick google search turned this up which appears to show that pretty much everywhere in CA the average time in a home is less than 15 years, and in some places its 6-7 years.

Of course, its called "average" for a reason. If that average were taken just from members of this specific subforum (for example), I expect it might loo quite different.
Prop 13 gives people a strong motivation to stay put until they are seniors and qualify for transferring their basis to a lower cost home.

NEM 3 as written will be the death of new solar install in CA. 2 years from now, we'll have a NEM 4 because the morons at the CPUC seem to think that people are okay with a 15 year breakeven. The fact that this proposal is actually entertained as good policy shows the CPUC is either a bunch of IOU lemings or clueless as to how the world works.
There is only one member on the CPUC board that looks after consumer interests. The rest do not.

I grew up and remember a friend had a cabin in Tahoe. They had this big tank outside which I think it was for Propane for heat. Could someone put one of these in their backyards (or even bury it?) as a possible whole house heat solution? That's probably a lot quieter than a generator and you would only need it for heat. To avoid the IOUs, I assume they have services which can refill it so you bypass PG&E too for gas service.

Add a generator to charge powerwalls for the electrical side and you're set.

They also had a chimney which unlike suburbian homes, had those long metal pipes up the ceiling so it actually warms the house quite a bit.

If this NEM3.0 proposal passes as listed, I assume with the resources ($$) of solar owners, there will be a lawsuit for sure. I think changing terms after the fact should be a big no no.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zabe
Prop 13 gives people a strong motivation to stay put until they are seniors and qualify for transferring their basis to a lower cost home.
So very true, especially with house prices skyrocketing. We kind of talk about it here and there, and comes back to property taxes. Been here about 13 years, if we move to similar priced home, our property taxes double. Just not worth it, that is unless we decided to move out of state, or another housing crash.