Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PG&E reports $2 billion profit​

In a call with investors, PG&E credited rate hikes on customers with contributing to its $2 billion profit in 2023, a 24% increase over the previous year.

Nice to get a 24% raise.
Actually, it is net profit, so much more than just a 24% rise in salary.

With all the violins playing for their supposedly hard times, one might have naively expected a loss.

Reactions: iPlug
message on my PG&E account site. Why would they estimate usage if power is out?

STORM BILLING: During power outages, your usage will show as estimated. You will not be billed for the time your power was off.
I’ve been charged in the past during a power outage with “estimated usage”. Had to call them; the process wasn’t quick. How convenient for them - the vast majority of folks probably won’t look nor bother follow-up, so it’s free stolen money.

I’ve been charged in the past during a power outage with “estimated usage”. Had to call them; the process wasn’t quick. How convenient for them - the vast majority of folks probably won’t look nor bother follow-up, so it’s free stolen money.
Usually when they estimate usage there is a reconciliation when they actually read the meter.
Are you saying that they didn't correct the bill to reflect actual usage?

Usually when they estimate usage there is a reconciliation when they actually read the meter.
Are you saying that they didn't correct the bill to reflect actual usage?
No reconciliation was done - I brought this to their attention about 2 to 4 months after their phony billing.

Our PG&E meters are instantaneously read, wirelessly. The customer, as I did, can look at granular detailed billing hours, down to the very hour. For the hours we lost power, it showed those hours billed as being “estimated”.

It looked like they modeled those charges on the prior hours when we did have power. Most folks in the serviced subdivisions around us were pulling from the grid just before the power failure during peak rates.

This was most financially disadvantageous to the customer and the result of their substation transformer overheating during a late summer evening heatwave. It involved a problematic transformer that had caused other power outages in the past and since, but they did not replace it for a couple more years it seems.

A few months after I called them and spent about an hour on hold, I got the inappropriately charged money refunded. There were a few hundred households affected, and I doubt any of them followed up, so PG&E kept their money.

I have also been billed for usage during outages. IMHO, they should not be allowed to bill anything when they don’t have data to support the billing. The lack of revenue should be used as a motivator to fixing the problem if their meter is unable to report usage.

Estimated usage is a holdover regulatory concept from when meters required human reading. It should be completely eliminated for any customer that has a SmartMeter that reports interval usage.

Are the CPUC Commissioners full-time employees? Or is this a part-time gig?

You can look up most CA public people salaries here, no idea how accurate:

The Pres makes 220k+ or 323k+ with benefits.
A random commissioner I looked up makes $171k or $252k with benefits.

I saw the 2 I checked with a Stanford JD and a Stanford undergrad so smarter than me and they can probably make decent $$ elsewhere as well, but I'd guess this is more cush job vs. a law firm job.

You can look up most CA public people salaries here, no idea how accurate:

The Pres makes 220k+ or 323k+ with benefits.
A random commissioner I looked up makes $171k or $252k with benefits.

I saw the 2 I checked with a Stanford JD and a Stanford undergrad so smarter than me and they can probably make decent $$ elsewhere as well, but I'd guess this is more cush job vs. a law firm job.
yeah - I had looked up their salaries on that site. Thats why I wanted to know if they are full time

There has been discussion in this thread about the legality of disconnecting from the grid. I guess Title 24 has no been updated so that you can legally disconnect from the grid now. However, I would think that you would need a generator as well as batteries unless you had a massive battery bank and even then it seems there would be times in the winter that would be iffy. Further isn't electricity from an NG generator going to be more expensive than just buying from PG&E?

There has been discussion in this thread about the legality of disconnecting from the grid. I guess Title 24 has no been updated so that you can legally disconnect from the grid now. However, I would think that you would need a generator as well as batteries unless you had a massive battery bank and even then it seems there would be times in the winter that would be iffy. Further isn't electricity from an NG generator going to be more expensive than just buying from PG&E?
Why wouldn’t someone have a few wind or hydro turbines as well as a massive amount of ESS&PV if they were trying to disconnect?

I recall seeing calculations that a NG generator using recent PG&E gas rates would be about $0.40/kWh. That is only the gas cost, not including the rest of the O&M costs for a generator.
I just did the calcs. Using my Tier 2 gas cost of $2.6/therm, I get from $.43/kWh to $.57/kWh for a 21 kW NG generator. Efficiency depends on load. Its less efficient at lower loads and the $.57 was at 50% load. Is there a Tier 3 and higher rate?

I think most residential housing areas would not allow big wind turbines. Where do you get water for hydro unless you are by a river and then its probably illegal to do that. In any case, I still think you need a generator
Plenty of us have the ability for such forms of RE harvesting.

If you’re using a generator in town, you will likely have other issues. (Noise + crap neighbors)