TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CR full test of Model 3 - falls short on recommendation

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jtpassat, May 21, 2018.

1. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

• Informative x 4
  2. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

CR is a FUDster short, #fakenews rag pitchforks in 3, 2, 1....

• Funny x 3
  3. wipster

wipster Gold Member

Can this be correct? What say you owners? Doesn't sound plausible to me, first time I've ever heard a complaint about the brakes...

• Like x 1
  4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

CR used to be useful to me but in the past decade they've slid into absurdity. (And the brakes on my Model 3 are great. No complaints with stopping distance at all.)

• Disagree x 7
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  5. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

How many owners take their cars up to 60mph and then do a full emergency stop?

CR is doing this so you don’t have to and these results are not good.

They also confirmed this with a second Model 3 and with the staff at Car and Driver who got similar results.

The one saving grace on these terrible results is that Tesla can likely improve or fix the performance with OTA updates unless the problem is in the braking hardware.

• Like x 10
    • Disagree x 2
  6. Petra

Petra Member

Interesting read... So, maybe Tesla needs to pick a different brake pad to deal with the inconsistency?

7. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

We know the stock brake pads/calipers aren't so good (see Model 3 @ Laguna report). I guess once the "good stuff" is worn off, the braking performance falls off a cliff. Yikes. I wonder if it is actually due to poor braking hardware or improper braking calibration.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  8. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

before this becomes an all out flame war on CR. read the following that was in the article

"
    Because we saw some inconsistency in the braking performance, we got a second Model 3 (a privately owned vehicle that was loaned to CR) to verify our results. CR has tested second samples in previous situations to double-check our findings.

When we ran the second Model 3 through the same tests, we got almost identical results.

In our tests of both Model 3 samples, the stopping distances were much longer than the stopping distances we recorded on other Teslas and other cars in this class.

The Tesla Model 3’s 152 feet is 21 feet longer than the class average of 131 feet for luxury compact sedans and 25 feet longer than the results for its much larger SUV sibling, the Model X.

CR’s experience with the Model 3’s braking is not unique. Car and Driver, in its published test of a Model 3, said it noticed “a bizarre amount of variation” in its test, including one stop from 70 mph that took “an interminable 196 feet.”

“I’ve been testing cars for 11 years,” Car and Driver Testing Director K.C. Colwell said in an interview with CR, “and in 11 years, no car has stood out with inconsistent braking like this. Some trucks have. . . . It was just weird.”

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 6
    • Helpful x 2
  9. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Anyone have any idea how this is possible? I assume that ABS was engaging on all the tests so it's not like the brakes don't have the power.
    Seems like it would have to be a problem with the ABS controller itself?

• Helpful x 1
  10. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I find this AWFULLY hard to believe... Between regen and the brakes themselves it seems awfully hard to stop slower than an F-150...

Jeff

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

From the article:

Sounds like CR uncovered a quirk, and I'm sure it will be fixed by Tesla.
    In the meantime I'll have to keep my emergency braking frequency down.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  12. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Should be very easy for them to reproduce.

13. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. Daniel in SD

Anyone have a G-tech or similar device want to go out and test this? Make sure there's no one behind you!

15. wipster

wipster Gold Member

Read the Motor Trend test. They got 60-0 results of 119'... quite a difference. Get the feeling CR didn't have things configured right.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

One possible explanation would be a bug in the abs/emergency stopping algorithm. Software is calculating a lot during that (releasing brakes if slip is "detected", avoid motor deceleration, cancel EAP if engaged, etc). The more complex the code the more likely bugs are to exist...

I agree that if the hardware is solid, we might see a fix. At the very least I hope Tesla looks into this before they blast CR. ..

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Issue could also be the tires (especially the MXM4s). A better set of tires can significantly reduce stopping distance.

• Like x 1
  18. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Brake pads probably not bedded in well enough.

• Like x 3
  19. Daniel in SD

Enlighten on us the proper configuration. haha

• Like x 2
  20. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

Edmunds has Model 3 test with Aero and 19 sport:

• Informative x 13