Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CR full test of Model 3 - falls short on recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Can this be correct? What say you owners? Doesn't sound plausible to me, first time I've ever heard a complaint about the brakes...

How many owners take their cars up to 60mph and then do a full emergency stop?

CR is doing this so you don’t have to and these results are not good.

They also confirmed this with a second Model 3 and with the staff at Car and Driver who got similar results.

The one saving grace on these terrible results is that Tesla can likely improve or fix the performance with OTA updates unless the problem is in the braking hardware.

How many owners take their cars up to 60mph and then do a full emergency stop?

CR is doing this so you don’t have to and these results are not good.

They also confirmed this with a second Model 3 and with the staff at Car and Driver who got similar results.

The one saving grace on these terrible results is that Tesla can likely improve or fix the performance with OTA updates unless the problem is in the braking hardware.

We know the stock brake pads/calipers aren't so good (see Model 3 @ Laguna report). I guess once the "good stuff" is worn off, the braking performance falls off a cliff. Yikes. I wonder if it is actually due to poor braking hardware or improper braking calibration.

before this becomes an all out flame war on CR. read the following that was in the article

"
Because we saw some inconsistency in the braking performance, we got a second Model 3 (a privately owned vehicle that was loaned to CR) to verify our results. CR has tested second samples in previous situations to double-check our findings.

When we ran the second Model 3 through the same tests, we got almost identical results.

In our tests of both Model 3 samples, the stopping distances were much longer than the stopping distances we recorded on other Teslas and other cars in this class.

The Tesla Model 3’s 152 feet is 21 feet longer than the class average of 131 feet for luxury compact sedans and 25 feet longer than the results for its much larger SUV sibling, the Model X.

CR’s experience with the Model 3’s braking is not unique. Car and Driver, in its published test of a Model 3, said it noticed “a bizarre amount of variation” in its test, including one stop from 70 mph that took “an interminable 196 feet.”

“I’ve been testing cars for 11 years,” Car and Driver Testing Director K.C. Colwell said in an interview with CR, “and in 11 years, no car has stood out with inconsistent braking like this. Some trucks have. . . . It was just weird.”

From the article:

A Tesla spokesperson told CR that the company’s own testing found stopping distances from 60 to 0 mph were an average of 133 feet, with the same tires as our Model 3.
... ...
In our testing of the Model 3, the first stop we recorded was significantly shorter (around 130 feet, similar to Tesla’s findings), but that distance was not repeated, even after we let the brakes cool overnight.

Sounds like CR uncovered a quirk, and I'm sure it will be fixed by Tesla.
In the meantime I'll have to keep my emergency braking frequency down.

One possible explanation would be a bug in the abs/emergency stopping algorithm. Software is calculating a lot during that (releasing brakes if slip is "detected", avoid motor deceleration, cancel EAP if engaged, etc). The more complex the code the more likely bugs are to exist...

I agree that if the hardware is solid, we might see a fix. At the very least I hope Tesla looks into this before they blast CR. ..

Edmunds has Model 3 test with Aero and 19 sport:
Q: Does a choice of tires affect the Tesla Model 3's emergency stopping distance? A: Our car executed a panic stop from 60 mph in 133 feet with the standard 18-inch wheels and tires, and that dropped to 128 feet after we installed the optional 19-inch configuration. A small difference but a clear improvement.