Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CR full test of Model 3 - falls short on recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many owners take their cars up to 60mph and then do a full emergency stop?

CR is doing this so you don’t have to and these results are not good.

They also confirmed this with a second Model 3 and with the staff at Car and Driver who got similar results.

The one saving grace on these terrible results is that Tesla can likely improve or fix the performance with OTA updates unless the problem is in the braking hardware.

I agree with this. Too many drink the Tesla Kool-Aide and think they have no flaws. Do I love my model 3? ABSOLUTELY. Is it perfect? NO. Is anything perfect? NO. I trust consumer reports. They do standard testing for all cars (to weed out bias) and they use their money from subscribers to buy cars (so they can remain independent. The good news is this issue is fixable as stated via OTA. I get you probably won't ever slam on your brakes at 60 mph but if there is an issue I am glad someone noticed it and can get it corrected from my garage (which is a HUGE benefit of Tesla).

Exactly... and to add that Elon is not a god and he is flawed like everyone else. The one advantage Tesla has over all other car companies is that they can make incremental changes at any given moment.

I agree with this. Too many drink the Tesla Kool-Aide and think they have no flaws. Do I love my model 3? ABSOLUTELY. Is it perfect? NO. Is anything perfect? NO. I trust consumer reports. They do standard testing for all cars (to weed out bias) and they use their money from subscribers to buy cars (so they can remain independent. The good news is this issue is fixable as stated via OTA. I get you probably won't ever slam on your brakes at 60 mph but if there is an issue I am glad someone noticed it and can get it corrected from my garage (which is a HUGE benefit of Tesla).

I'd be very curious to see what would happen if they took the same car, replaced the rotors and pads, then repeated the braking test. We've already seen that just a couple laps on the track completely eroded a set of pads, it seems possible the pad compound is at fault for both of these. Perhaps they chose an unusually soft compound for some reason that's highly susceptible to glazing, which would explain why they were able to get one good stop and then had significantly reducing braking performance after that.

Last edited:
Q: Does a choice of tires affect the Tesla Model 3's emergency stopping distance? A: Our car executed a panic stop from 60 mph in 133 feet with the standard 18-inch wheels and tires, and that dropped to 128 feet after we installed the optional 19-inch configuration. A small difference but a clear improvement.

128 feet is still too much. It should be under 110 Feet. Last M3 was 104 feet, current M3 is 99 feet.

• Informative
Reactions: fmcotton and N5329K
wrote a long post in another thread about this, tried to edit it to fit in this thread's existing discussion...

The number in CR's testing does look concerning compared to other vehicles. As mentioned earlier, CR described the results for the Model 3 as "far worse than any contemporary car we’ve tested." They reported 152 feet for the 3 vs. 132, 136, and 135 in their testing of the BMW 3 series, Mercedes C Class and Audi A4. Tesla told CR that in their own testing of the 3, the average result was 133 feet with the same tires as CR used in their testing. Interestingly, CR says their first run of this test did have a 130 feet braking distance, but, on average the distance was 152 feet. CR got a second car from a private owner to confirm their results, which they report the second car as doing.

On CR's website I noticed something else somewhat unexpected about these results. They do a wet and dry version of this test. The Model 3 had a 1 foot variance between wet and dry (all the numbers in the paragraph above are for the dry test). The BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, had differences of 7, 8, and 10 feet between the dry and wet tests.

Finally, CR mentioned that they had discussed this with the Testing Director at Car and Driver, who reported in their own testing they saw wide variability in this emergency braking for the Model 3, including this comment “and in 11 years, no car has stood out with inconsistent braking like this. Some trucks have. . . . It was just weird.”

CR only mentioned Car and Driver. Wonder if they reached out to other's who've tested the car. Motor Trend reports 119 feet 60-0 braking. As "privater" linked above, Edmunds got numbers that stack up well with BMW, Mercedes and Audi's cars in the class.

Hard to know what is going on, but, I think we will hear quite a bit from Tesla.

Given the small difference between wet and dry, a possible explanation could be that the ABS system is detecting wheel lock that's just not there and is being too conservative in dry conditions. If it were very close to an edge case, you'd get a system that sometimes produced 130-ish ft results and sometimes 150-ish foot results not correlated to actual conditions. That seems to be close to what CR & Car and Driver are seeing. Motor Trend's 119 is a bit of an outlier.

Given the small difference between wet and dry, a possible explanation could be that the ABS system is detecting wheel lock that's just not there and is being too conservative in dry conditions. If it were very close to an edge case, you'd get a system that sometimes produced 130-ish ft results and sometimes 150-ish foot results not correlated to actual conditions. That seems to be close to what CR & Car and Driver are seeing. Motor Trend's 119 is a bit of an outlier.

Tesla could easily confirm that's what happened with logs. No need for them to fire back with "but it worked when we tested it"

Tesla could easily confirm that's what happened with logs. No need for them to fire back with "but it worked when we tested it"

Maybe? I sort of think ABS controllers are a bit of an embedded system at this point. Not sure how much they log. I'm sure Tesla can log what sort of force is currently applied to the brake pedal, but less convinced they can log ABS decision making.

Maybe? I sort of think ABS controllers are a bit of an embedded system at this point. Not sure how much they log. I'm sure Tesla can log what sort of force is currently applied to the brake pedal, but less convinced they can log ABS decision making.

So is most of the car. Brakes are 100% electronic and are also used with autopilot, hard to imagine there aren't detailed logs for everything from pedal input to hydraulic pressure.

128 feet is still too much. It should be under 110 Feet. Last M3 was 104 feet, current M3 is 99 feet.

They were not testing the performance version of the Model 3.

CR's testing of the 3 series was 132 feet. fwiw, Mercedes C Class and Audi A4 were 136 feet and 135 feet in their tests. 133 feet for the Model 3 would be right in class.

Still the issue of what CR got in their testing of the 3, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: trils0n
If the ABS is being ultra conservative, tires with poor grip will cause the ABS to engage more often in hard stops. Depending how often the ABS engages would cause inconsistent stopping distances.
When you slam on the brakes the ABS should be modulating the brake pressure all the way down to 0mph. Stickier tires just make the stopping distance shorter, they don't make the ABS modulate less.