Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Main Screen = Bad Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going after the front speaker grill rattle a few weeks ago and barely touched the screen with the bezel of a small flashlight. I felt a little give and thought the worst. Luckily, I had a tempered glass protector on that took the hit. I was amazed at how soft the hit was that made it crack but it was right on the edge. I have no idea if the screen would have taken it without issue but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Best $16 I've spent on the 3 so far.

I know hind sight is 20/20, but the display comes off easy and IIRC there's only one plug, I would have been inclined to locate a totaled M3 and swap the displays, had to have been cheaper than $1400.

Check out this YT, i1Tesla pulls his off and adds some tilt fixture.

Looking at the technology in a Model 3 screen, and how high quality it is I am not surprised its an expensive replacement.

Someone should come up with a stretchy silicone frame to put around it, and prevent this edge damage. Otherwise, glass is most sensitive at its edge, don't smack the bezel with something hard!

Tesla could have made the bezel slightly larger to prevent this, but I personally like it very minimal. Its a design choice, and I think a good one. There's not a rash of screens breaking just a few.

Looking at the technology in a Model 3 screen, and how high quality it is I am not surprised its an expensive replacement.

Someone should come up with a stretchy silicone frame to put around it, and prevent this edge damage. Otherwise, glass is most sensitive at its edge, don't smack the bezel with something hard!

Tesla could have made the bezel slightly larger to prevent this, but I personally like it very minimal. Its a design choice, and I think a good one. There's not a rash of screens breaking just a few.

Something like the iPhone 4 rubber edge case. That would be perfect. Slim and sleek in a gunmetal grey.

I just cracked the edge of my screen today with my phone just like the OP did, ordered a replacement used one from eBay for $300. My car has pin-to-drive, and the screen is basically unusable at the moment so the only way I can drive is by "starting" it from my phone, kind of frustrating. I ordered the TestProtect edge protector cause I'll probably do it again!

I bought my Tesprotect edge protector, got it last week. Great idea, ok execution.

I am not impressed with the finish of the molding, it needs cleanup. It looks like nobody went and finished it after it came out of the mold machine. The mold itself is decent but has some twists in it for sure.

I don't feel like I should spend an hour with a knife removing flashing at this price point, but don't really want to return it. If another company was making them I would definitely give them a shot instead.

We offer a 100% no questions asked refund within 90 days of purchase. The TesProtect edge protector is 100% silicone, and is patent-pending.

If you are not 100% satisfied, we’ll do everything possible to earn your complete satisfaction. Email me directly at [email protected] / [email protected] and we will promptly address any issue brought to our attention. Happy Tesla-ing!

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it, and responded to your PM. I am glad to see you stand behind your product, its great to see.

I look forward to the replacement you have offered, and hopefully with nicely finished edges I will again recommend it to friends.

There's really nothing like it available, so good job seeing the need and responding quickly. The screen is way expensive to not protect the edges. My first chip to the screen protector was with my stainless steel coffee cup.

I
We offer a 100% no questions asked refund within 90 days of purchase. The TesProtect edge protector is 100% silicone, and is patent-pending.

If you are not 100% satisfied, we’ll do everything possible to earn your complete satisfaction. Email me directly at [email protected] / [email protected] and we will promptly address any issue brought to our attention. Happy Tesla-ing!
It’s a shame you guys don’t ship to the UK!

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it, and responded to your PM. I am glad to see you stand behind your product, its great to see.

I look forward to the replacement you have offered, and hopefully with nicely finished edges I will again recommend it to friends.

There's really nothing like it available, so good job seeing the need and responding quickly. The screen is way expensive to not protect the edges. My first chip to the screen protector was with my stainless steel coffee cup.
Thanks for the update on this. I just ordered one too.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I am impressed by Jays company follow through. The first 2 units were less than perfect, so he immediately sent replacements proactively, along with a SASE so I could return the defective ones to him.

My 3rd Tesprotect is perfect, the first one had some flashing issues, and the second had some molding issues. Many thanks Jay!

Reactions: Jaywlker
I am interested in Tesprotect, but even looking at the bottom picture here: Screen Edge Protector | Our Screen Edge Protector is Patent-Pending!

It's visible to see that there's too much give on the bottom, and it's not as cleaned up as it should be. Considering it's silicone, or similar polymer, it should be slightly stretchable to an extent for a tighter finish. I think most would prefer a slightly more difficult install, but cleaner, rather than easy to install buy floppy.

Reactions: crackers8199
Here's a pic I just snapped of the 3rd version.

I agree, the first one was a bit floppy, and didn't take any effort to put on. There is really no edge for the silicone to snap into so if you bump it, it can get moved around.

This second version has to stretch a bit to put it on, but it is not too difficult. Still if you bump it the wrong way you can make a wave in it, not sure if that will be true after a few weeks in the sun. We will see.

Attachments

• 20200906_143245.jpg
    20200906_143245.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 20200906_143307.jpg
    20200906_143307.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 114