TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cracked Main Screen = Bad Time

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kbecks13, Nov 24, 2018.

1. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

The service guy said they basically have a test they do to determine if the damage is covered under warranty that sounds like it consists of dragging something across the glass surface and if there is an impression (i.e sub-flush damage) then the crack was the result of impact and isn't covered under warranty.

2. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Sometimes it just matters where and how glass gets hit. I'm going to guess that the middle bottom of the screen like that is a weaker area than maybe the corners at the bottom.

3. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

Yep, i think i'm going to have to pony up 1500 to get this fixed. I get it that it's my fault, but it just sucks because i wasn't doing anything crazy and barely hit the screen. Makes me scared to see how the next few years go...

• Informative x 4
  4. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

Since my car is so new and this was a pretty rare/freak accident, Tesla was able to cover some of the labor and part cost. Final bill for me will be around ~$850 and they were able to get a replacement screen within 4 days and i'm picking up later today, not too bad!

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  5. whatthe2

whatthe2 Member

Sounds reasonable, glad it worked out ok for you.

• Love x 1
  6. 2018M3

2018M3 Member

@kbecks13 what did you end up using to protect the new screen?

7. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

Got one from Abstract Ocean, haven't even noticed it was there since putting it on.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

IPhone very shattered. I found wife's phone laying on the garage floor. I picked it up and it was shattered. I called my phone and it worked. I went in the house and got her clear fingernail polish and put it on the face so she wouldn't cut her fingers. She had dropped it as she was getting in her Model X and ran over it backing out of the garage. She used it 2 weeks before I had the screen replaced. $84.00 iPhone 6.

9. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Put my abstract ocean one over a year ago, was just reading the thread and thought I should get a screen protector for my car and realize I had one on!

• Like x 1