Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windshield: should Tesla, Safelite or fix it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rock flew up today and put a 15" crack across my windshield. Called insurance and they will cover the whole thing. I told them I wanted Tesla to do it because with the autopilot (appears they will need to re-calibrate it anyway), a camera, rain sensors, etc., I'm not sure I trust someone else. Insurance tried calling the Tesla SC near me to give them the work order and agree on a price, but they were closed.

They told me that I can go myself and they emailed the Tesla SC the claim #, etc. but the price needs to be what Safelite states is "reasonable and customary". That price is $759.09, but reading the forums, most folks say this repair runs $900-$1,100. I will have to pay out of pocket for anything above the $759.09.

Does anybody have any experiences with replacing windshields on these cars? Anybody use Safelite? Did they know what they were doing? Did you still have to go then to Tesla to get EAP re-calibrated? Any other windshield replacement outfits in Southern California that do a good job with Teslas? I obviously want the job done right, but I also don't want to get it done outside of Tesla only to have to go to them to get things re-calibrated, etc. afterward Also don't want to have to pay anything myself. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Unless this changed recently, Safelite both can't source the glass and can't calibrate the windshield.

If Safelite can calibrate it for you, then you should be fine... pretty sure there's no 3rd party glass for the Model 3's yet.

If they can install the glass but won't recalibrate it, then you should demand insurance should pay for any fees incurred by the recal. Just because Safelite doesn't do the recal doesn't mean you shouldn't have that covered... This is like any other vehicle with windshield mounted cameras... they all require calibration afterwards, so this isn't unique to Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
I’m getting the windshield replaced in mine as well, and safelite is going to be doing it. I’m in NY, and they’re getting the windshield from Boston MA. I’m going to have to find out about the camera calibration as I’m 100% sure that’s not something safelite deals with.

I’m getting the windshield replaced in mine as well, and safelite is going to be doing it. I’m in NY, and they’re getting the windshield from Boston MA. I’m going to have to find out about the camera calibration as I’m 100% sure that’s not something safelite deals with.
It should recalibrate itself after 100 miles or so of driving .

My experience was in Seattle and on a Model S, so take what you wish from it...

I got the online estimate from Safelite for $750. Took it in and they raised the estimate to $850. Then they called back and said thy had the wrong part, and it would be $950 including tax. Called Tesla and they quoted $1150 plus tax, and said it would cost $125 for the camera calibration if I needed to get it for the Safelite installation.

I decided I'd just get Tesla to do it -- they know what they're doing. They did -- but as it turns out, they got Safelite to do it!!! I don't know if Tesla or Safelite re-installed the AP camera, but whoever did screwed it up, so I'm CERTAIN they never did any recalibration (they left a plastic protective cover over the lens -- camera could not have even worked).

My experience was in Seattle and on a Model S, so take what you wish from it...

I got the online estimate from Safelite for $750. Took it in and they raised the estimate to $850. Then they called back and said thy had the wrong part, and it would be $950 including tax. Called Tesla and they quoted $1150 plus tax, and said it would cost $125 for the camera calibration if I needed to get it for the Safelite installation.

I decided I'd just get Tesla to do it -- they know what they're doing. They did -- but as it turns out, they got Safelite to do it!!! I don't know if Tesla or Safelite re-installed the AP camera, but whoever did screwed it up, so I'm CERTAIN they never did any recalibration (they left a plastic protective cover over the lens -- camera could not have even worked).

Is that a protective cover over the lens of a camera that's now under the windshield at that point? I've hope to never have to have my windshield replaced but curious anyway. Thanks.

Here's what the Model 3 Manual says about recalibrating cameras due to windshield replacement:
"Caution: If a windshield replacement is needed, take your vehicle to Tesla Service. This will ensure appropriate handling and mounting of the camera(s). Failure to do so can cause one or more Autopilot features to malfunction." (pg. 65, 12/20/19 manual).

I know people have had a windshield glass company come out to replace the glass with their car near the service center or at the service center so they can easily get the cameras recalibrated.

Last edited:
Is that a protective cover over the lens of a camera that's under the windshield at that point? I've hope to never have to have my windshield replaced but curious anyway. Thanks.
Correct. AP1 Model S, so that and the back-up camera is all there is! Apparently they have a kit to cover the camera(s) while working on the windshield. It wasn't a big deal to get it removed, but I was leaving for a road trip and had to drive 2500 miles with no AP. TACC did work, fortunately, or I'd have stopped to get it fixed. Actually, if I had known it was a 10 minute deal, I'd have stopped...

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Rock flew up today and put a 15" crack across my windshield. Called insurance and they will cover the whole thing. I told them I wanted Tesla to do it because with the autopilot (appears they will need to re-calibrate it anyway), a camera, rain sensors, etc., I'm not sure I trust someone else. Insurance tried calling the Tesla SC near me to give them the work order and agree on a price, but they were closed.

They told me that I can go myself and they emailed the Tesla SC the claim #, etc. but the price needs to be what Safelite states is "reasonable and customary". That price is $759.09, but reading the forums, most folks say this repair runs $900-$1,100. I will have to pay out of pocket for anything above the $759.09.

Does anybody have any experiences with replacing windshields on these cars? Anybody use Safelite? Did they know what they were doing? Did you still have to go then to Tesla to get EAP re-calibrated? Any other windshield replacement outfits in Southern California that do a good job with Teslas? I obviously want the job done right, but I also don't want to get it done outside of Tesla only to have to go to them to get things re-calibrated, etc. afterward Also don't want to have to pay anything myself. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

OP who is your insurance carrier? I know that here in the SF Bay area where I'm at Tesla doesn't do windshield replacements for this road damage but they work with 2 windshield replacement companies. We spoke to one of them a while back and was told they could come where you had the car or even to Tesla to do the work. I'm sure it varies by location and working relationships the Local Tesla SvC has with companies. Some people have said Safelit says they work with Tesla and other owners have said they were told by Safelit when calling them that they don't.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
You have to pay the difference if you choose to specify what glass, installer, etc. like someone else said, tell them safelite can install, they’ll use Tesla glass and install it correctly. If the cameras don’t calibrate properly your insurance will pay to have it fixed.

Reactions: Ulmo
Please use the search function, you’ll be surprised how many posts ask the same question.
Asking people to use the search function doesn't always yield the best result; a better result is often letting people post updated information on the newer thread rather than a jumble of information on an outdated thread. Also, searches often end up pointing to the newer thread anyway, so if it isn't answered in the newer thread, then the search function ceases to be an acceptable answer. In fact, after any amount of substantial age of a topic, the search function often starts to become the worst way to look something up, unless every thread has people answering the question in it.

Often the best answer is a link, not commanding someone else to go search.

Thanks for all your responses. Based on all of them, when I call Tesla Monday and get a price, including any possible recalibration, if I can’t get my insurance company (Nationwide), to pay for the whole thing, I will have Safelite do it. That’s who my insurance company recommends, and in fact, when you call them about cracked windshields, you are routed to Safelite people who handle the whole process whether you do it by the them or Tesla or anybody else. I will also verify that any recalibration that anybody has to do is also covered by my insurance.

I did search for this topic before posting and found some relevant info. But, as one poster here said, things change fast in the Tesla world and something on this topic from just several months ago could have radically changed by now.

I will post how this process goes for me in case it may help others down the road.

That’s who my insurance company recommends, and in fact, when you call them about cracked windshields, you are routed to Safelite people who handle the whole process whether you do it by the them or Tesla or anybody else.

Our 2016 Volt needed a windshield replaced and I called AAA, and they routed me to Safelite was well. Safelite told me they are the company that handles AAA's windshield repairs and I could take the car anywhere and was under no obligation to use Safelite for the repairs.

It may vary by service center and region but in Sacramento area, Safelite is the official Tesla partner for all glass issues. If you call Tesla Rocklin, they’ll just tell you to call Safelite Sacramento. If you are having multiple issues taken care of including glass at Rocklin, they’ll just arrange for Safelite and the Safelite van comes by regularly and does them in batches. I had my windshield replaced at my home last month by Safelite and it was about $750 out of pocket. They also do the little triangle piece that thieves are targeting these days. Interesting tidbit: Safelite tech told me when Model X first came out, one of the windows was bad and Tesla had a whole crew of Safelite techs come to Fremont factory and do a mass reworking of that piece.

It may vary by service center and region but in Sacramento area, Safelite is the official Tesla partner for all glass issues. If you call Tesla Rocklin, they’ll just tell you to call Safelite Sacramento. If you are having multiple issues taken care of including glass at Rocklin, they’ll just arrange for Safelite and the Safelite van comes by regularly and does them in batches. I had my windshield replaced at my home last month by Safelite and it was about $750 out of pocket. No calibration issues. I think the wording they use is to just cover their butts, but autopilot worked just fine immediately.

Good to know - Thanks. Any information that helps me avoid a trip to the Rocklin SC are always appreciated.

It should recalibrate itself after 100 miles or so of driving .
I just made an appointment w/Safelite to replace my windshield. I was going to ask about the camera and they brought it up before I even asked. They said it needs to be "expertly aligned" as opposed to "calibrated" but maybe that's the same thing? They said they have the capability to do that when they replace the glass.

I just made an appointment w/Safelite to replace my windshield. I was going to ask about the camera and they brought it up before I even asked. They said it needs to be "expertly aligned" as opposed to "calibrated" but maybe that's the same thing? They said they have the capability to do that when they replace the glass.

I'm in OC CA as well, and when I called Safelite they would not do it for me because they'd only be able to get the glass from Tesla, and then I'd need to bring the car into Tesla for re-calibration of the sensors and cameras. But that was about 3 months ago, so maybe they now have the calibration capabilities?