Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy to buy 85 with no options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My advise would be the 85. You can get the [85/upgraded exterior paint color/19"wheels/leather/trim of your choice/tech package/parking sensors/supercharging included] for just less than $81k (after 7500 tax credit). My friend's kids' are not crazy about the rear seat due to sun/other cars' headlights/temp control/motion sickness. Pano: some people use it a lot - I personally have it in 2 Hondas + BMW and never use it (but wife loves it in summer)

I'm in MA, on a typical winter commute, my mileage consumed is 1/3 to 1/2 more than what I've actually driven.
The reason is: use of the heater eats range, "battery heating" comes on in low temperatures, slush on the roads increases power requirements, denser winter air, etc.

There aren't any SuperChargers that will help yet on your cape cod to the lakes region. There is one in East Greenwich RI, there are rumors of one going in Portsmouth NH (that could help if you take I95 and cutover).

I have the 85KW and every option that was availble in December 2012, other than rear seats and paint protection, at the time that was $90K.. I understand it's a lot more now. I think the most important decision is you should really get the 85KW, as you need to factor in battery degradation over time as well, as the winter issues I mentioned.

BTW, if your on the Cape and want to see/meet a large number of Model S's/Owners, we are meeting at the East Greenwich SuperCharger today (Sunday) at 12:15PM. Looks to be 18-20 Model S's/Owners showing up.

FYI, I drove from my house in Randolph to an RV Park northeast of Mt. Washington, was 180 miles each way, was not an issue with range, but it was down to about 50 estimated... This was in late summer.

I have an 85, but rarely use the added range.
I have a pano, but would have it if my height didn't necessitate it.
I don't NEED the tech, but hated not having it in my first MS.
If I were in your shoes, it would probably be a 60 without the pano, but with tech.

Everything about your daily and weekly driving habits will change after you get your MS.
Simply stated: you will drive more miles than you currently do.
You will probably keep your ICE for a while, and continue to gravitate your daily driving use toward the MS.

Having said all the above, the paramount issue in an EV is indeed range and the associated freedom, not all the bells and whistles.
If you have a constrained budget, I would get the tech package and the 85, maybe springing for the paint color choice that makes your eyes and heart happy.
And you will love your new car.

Just got home from my first test drive and holy crap, I feel like my world just changed!

I have been a huge Tesla fan since the Model S was just a twinkle in Elon's eye but getting behind the wheel just kicked the obsession up a notch or two.

We didn't make a deposit tonight because we want to decide on what we need/want. With a budget of $82k, it makes it very difficult.

We could get the 60 with everything we want...rear facing seats, pano, tech, parking sensors...although we aren't even completely sold on needing the tech package or pano which would save $6,750 and keep us well under budget.

On the other hand we could get an 85, with just rear facing seats (we have 2 kids that a just a little bit too young for them, so they will get a lot of use over the next 8 years). This puts us over budget slightly but we may be able to make it work.

Daily commute is 80-100 miles. 99% of charging done at home. Have another ICE car. Where we go on vacation 3-4 times a year is 145 miles away, up in the NH mountains.

Help, we are torn!

Theres a fully loaded 85 for sale for 91 on another post. I'd suggest looking at something like that. Also see about inventory cars. My advise, don't settle. Wait around a few months and you'll find a slightly used fully warranted car close enough to your price range to be worthwhile.

Theres a fully loaded 85 for sale for 91 on another post. I'd suggest looking at something like that. Also see about inventory cars. My advise, don't settle. Wait around a few months and you'll find a slightly used fully warranted car close enough to your price range to be worthwhile.

Agreed. If you don't need a Tesla right now and are not 100% committed to buying new, I'd hold off and see if anything came up on the secondary market that got you both the 85 and the options you want.

Get the 85kWH

I have a 60kWh. I've had it since 3/30/2013. Yes, it will get you by. But you will want to have fun with occasional spirited driving, and the weather in the NE might drop your range. By all means go with a less optioned 85kWH Model S.

I'm glad I posted the question here, the feedback has been great!

Our budget is $82k not factoring in the tax credit. So essentially $74,500 if using the design studio. It puts us right in an awkward spot of a well equipped 60 or an 85 with no options. If we equip the 85 exactly how we want it with no hesitations, it's $10,000 over budget. We heavily prefer the 85 over 60, so to get all the options we want, it comes at expense of the battery. It's such a tease.

These are why we want the options we picked:

85 has better battery warranty, less range anxiety, includes SC which we will eventually have in the northeast.

The kids are not yet big enough for rear facing seats, so over 8 years they could be used basically the entire time.

Pano roof gives that extra little bit of head room (I was .5 inches from the roof when I sat in the back), letting more light in makes the car feel bigger.

Tech package because everyone tells me I need it.

Parking sensors it's because backing up into something once with cost more than $500 to repair (needs tech)

- - - Updated - - -

The more I talk about it the better a 60 with no options is sounding. If we can't have exactly what we want at $90k, spending $70k and always knowing we kept the extra $20k in our pocket may help us get over any initial insecurity we have about the car.

Agreed. If you don't need a Tesla right now and are not 100% committed to buying new, I'd hold off and see if anything came up on the secondary market that got you both the 85 and the options you want.

Nothing in inventory under $92k or so, they told me they would keep an eye on it but most of the loaners are well equipped with things we really don't want like smart suspension, upgraded headliners, 21" wheels, etc., so the chances of the right thing popping up is slim.

Parking sensors it's because backing up into something once with cost more than $500 to repair (needs tech)

If you personally don't see the value in the tech package other than allowing you to get parking sensors, you could always skip the tech package and install parking sensors aftermarket. As I recall some forum members have gotten them installed for ~$2,000. You'd save a couple grand going that route.

I'm glad I posted the question here, the feedback has been great!

Our budget is $82k not factoring in the tax credit. So essentially $74,500 if using the design studio. It puts us right in an awkward spot of a well equipped 60 or an 85 with no options. If we equip the 85 exactly how we want it with no hesitations, it's $10,000 over budget. We heavily prefer the 85 over 60, so to get all the options we want, it comes at expense of the battery. It's such a tease.

85 has better battery warranty, less range anxiety, includes SC which we will eventually have in the northeast.

The kids are not yet big enough for rear facing seats, so over 8 years they could be used basically the entire time.

Pano roof gives that extra little bit of head room (I was .5 inches from the roof when I sat in the back), letting more light in makes the car feel bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

The more I talk about it the better a 60 with no options is sounding. If we can't have exactly what we want at $90k, spending $70k and always knowing we kept the extra $20k in our pocket may help us get over any initial insecurity we have about the car.

You could buy a loaner car instead of new and save several thousand dollars. This might be the best way for you to get everything you want in an 85. I have seen some ppl get a significant discount this way. It's basically a new car anyway AND you can still claim the $7500 government credit. I strongly urge you to get the 85 and not the 60. 1) better warranty 2) longer range 3) included supercharger 4) Michelin tires included 5) it's faster performance 6) 40% bigger battery = MUCH LESS CYCLING OF THE BATTERY PACK means it will degrade much slower 7) higher residual resale value.

Please seriously look into buying a loaner and the 85.

My 2 cents - some of the advice for a 60 is coming from the southern US - FL and AZ I noticed. Do not listen to them because a 60 in FL is an 85 in MA in the winter.

Your commute is huge for a 60 in the NE.

The exact commute that will be used most days is 94.5 miles, factor in side trips during the day for lunch, groceries, appointments, etc. and up to 125 isn't unrealistic. 50% penalty for winter and we are around 185. You are right about the 85.

The exact commute that will be used most days is 94.5 miles, factor in side trips during the day for lunch, groceries, appointments, etc. and up to 125 isn't unrealistic. 50% penalty for winter and we are around 185. You are right about the 85.

That commute sketches out to 25,000 - 30,000 miles a year. Versus a 28 mpg ICE alternative you are saving over $2500 a year in fuel. If that hasn't entered your calcs yet, you may reconsider that budget and find it worth your while to get the 85 with the options you want.

That commute sketches out to 25,000 - 30,000 miles a year. Versus a 28 mpg ICE alternative you are saving over $2500 a year in fuel. If that hasn't entered your calcs yet, you may reconsider that budget and find it worth your while to get the 85 with the options you want.

It's replacing a car with about 19mpg...will probably save us $250+ per month. Unfortunately this has already been factored in. What hasn't been factored in is that over the next 8 years we will probably own the Tesla vs. owning 2 or 3 different ICE vehicles. Over the last 8 years I've purchased 5 new daily drivers (and traded in 4 of them). There has got to be some depreciation savings there somewhere.

I am being safe with the budget. We have two kids that are going to be in college in the distant future (both under 3). Trying to put money aside so they are fully paid by the time the graduate high school. Trying to put money into my retirement. I'm in my 20's and I've been trying to put enough away to retire in about 25 years. If I wasn't doing this we could buy the Tesla with whatever options we wanted but that's not best for our future or my kids future. Plus life is just unexpected, don't want to be Tesla broke among Teslanaires ;) (ps I chickened out on Tesla stock around $32 and decided a retirement account was safer, oops)

I own a 60kWh and have always defended it as more than a local car. I think I made the absolute best choice for me by going without the Tech Package. I have not had one instance of regret. Having said that, my commute is only about 30 miles and I live in Florida. Living in the northeast with a daily 100 mile commute screams for the 85kWh. After that, it is just a negotiation of the options you can live with/without. My recommendation for the OP would be (in order of priority):
1. Rear Seats (sounds like they would get a lot of use)
2. Tech Package (now a better bundle than when I bought)

The rest are truly optional.

It's replacing a car with about 19mpg...will probably save us $250+ per month. Unfortunately this has already been factored in. What hasn't been factored in is that over the next 8 years we will probably own the Tesla vs. owning 2 or 3 different ICE vehicles. Over the last 8 years I've purchased 5 new daily drivers (and traded in 4 of them). There has got to be some depreciation savings there somewhere.

I am being safe with the budget. We have two kids that are going to be in college in the distant future (both under 3). Trying to put money aside so they are fully paid by the time the graduate high school. Trying to put money into my retirement. I'm in my 20's and I've been trying to put enough away to retire in about 25 years. If I wasn't doing this we could buy the Tesla with whatever options we wanted but that's not best for our future or my kids future. Plus life is just unexpected, don't want to be Tesla broke among Teslanaires ;) (ps I chickened out on Tesla stock around $32 and decided a retirement account was safer, oops)

Sounds wise beyond your years. :)

i have 3 kids with 2 appropriate age for the rear seats. 2 items you might consider: 1) your kids might find it great or they might hate it. My 2 enjoy it for a short errand but anything more than 15 minutes they start to feel uncomfortable and a bit carsick. 2) it gets super hot back there, with no venting and glass all around. Tinting is a must, preferably Photosych (expensive but really awesome at controlling heat) unless you are happy with a very dark tint (I was not) so add another $500-1000 for tinting if you plan on the rear kids seats. I cannot stress enough this is not really optional if you plan on using the rear seats in the summertime, even if you are garaged.

I'm glad I posted the question here, the feedback has been great

Parking sensors it's because backing up into something once with cost more than $500 to repair (needs tech).

1. Agree with your reasons for the 85. Especially for supercharging capability.
2. Sounds like a need for the future and not immediately. How sure are you that you will always have your kids there and nowhere else? And will they want to be there all the time? How about considering it as after-market?
3. Seems mostly subjective. How often will you be in the back seat or have people your size sitting there? Making the car feel bigger may not offset the possible problems that a pano roof is heir to. Did/do you have a sun/moon roof in your present or previous cars? How often did you use it?
4. Agree with the tech package
5. Why can't constant use of the rear view camera offset the need for rear parking sensors?
More questions than answers. Hope it helps you think through your choices a little bit more.
Best wishes for the right choice.