Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy to buy 85 with no options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it's too late to comment on what options to buy...

I think you made a pretty good choice. 85 with tech and parking sensors is good (the parking sensors are for avoiding bumping the *front*, by the way -- I don't have them and I keep making my passenger get out and tell me where the car is).

Nothing wrong with the black; I don't think any paint color is easier to maintain than any other.

The only thing you might regret not getting is the winter weather package, but I can't be sure -- it wasn't available when I got my car, and I wish it had been.

You'll need to budget for snow tires, of course. They're expensive. :-( I had to replace one recently due to a blowout.

You can expect an absolute worst-case winter mileage of 500 wh/mi. You may wish to use this to estimate your future electricity costs. It's still cheaper than what you were paying for gasoline.

I cannot understand why anyone who needs this car as a daily driver would consider the 60. Maybe if you're retired, or have a second car, but other than that, its not a viable option imho. I wish they offered a 100kWh version :)

I cannot understand why anyone who needs this car as a daily driver would consider the 60. Maybe if you're retired, or have a second car, but other than that, its not a viable option imho. I wish they offered a 100kWh version :)

It's definitely a viable option if it fits into your driving pattern for a daily driver. Might make longer trips for difficult but you said daily driver. Hopefully the wait for a P100+ AWD isn't too long.

Just got home from my first test drive and holy crap, I feel like my world just changed!

I have been a huge Tesla fan since the Model S was just a twinkle in Elon's eye but getting behind the wheel just kicked the obsession up a notch or two.

We didn't make a deposit tonight because we want to decide on what we need/want. With a budget of $82k, it makes it very difficult.

We could get the 60 with everything we want...rear facing seats, pano, tech, parking sensors...although we aren't even completely sold on needing the tech package or pano which would save $6,750 and keep us well under budget.

On the other hand we could get an 85, with just rear facing seats (we have 2 kids that a just a little bit too young for them, so they will get a lot of use over the next 8 years). This puts us over budget slightly but we may be able to make it work.

Daily commute is 80-100 miles. 99% of charging done at home. Have another ICE car. Where we go on vacation 3-4 times a year is 145 miles away, up in the NH mountains.

Help, we are torn!

For long time value dont take options choose mobility the 85 with the double speed chargers.

What color did you end up getting ( might have missed it above)?

Its currently grey but we may change to white. I think there is a lot of contrast between the stock 19" rims and not enough contrast between the chrome and the grey metallic paint color. The 21's look great on the grey though. We like black, white, silver and grey which most say arent colors. I think we will stay away from black because of the "swirl" marks they are prone to. That leaves white and silver...white seems to be grabbing our eye and we love the look of the black pano on white. These decisions are a lot more difficult then I thought they were going to be!

Color is a very personal choice and subjective of course but I love the Pearl white. It's really hard to go wrong with any of the colors.

The grey is very nice too especially with the carbon 21" rims (same with Pearl white for that matter). I love the contrast of dark wheels and white car as well. Good luck!

@MassX1317

Are you sure about not getting the Subzero Weather Package?

I am trying to zero in on a Tesla for the Boston area. We do around town driving mostly in the suburbs, a 16 mile commute, and occasional trips to NYC, Vermont/NH/Maine and a bunch of trips to Martha's Vineyard in the spring/fall/summer. /.../ Last question - we garage the car. The subzero package seems a little over the top. Any thoughts? [My underline.] /...

I would have gotten this package if it had been available, and I'm in Texas. This is one that you really won't regret ever.

Here are my thoughts on the must have options for NE driving:

/.../

- sub zero package. An absolute must in NE. /...

Kids are in child seats for the foreseeable future, so no need for rear heated seats. Don't really see a need for the package, car is garage kept as well.

Another reason comes to mind: Should you ever need to sell the car, i'd think it would be very hard to sell in the North East without the sub-zero package.