Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise over speed bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
Just noticed a creaking noise coming from driver side during low speeds and it gets really loud when going over speed bumps. I can't tell if it's the front or rear. I'm guessing it has to do with the suspension? I did get UP coilovers installed a few months ago but I'm not sure if that's the cause. I'm hesitant to take it to a service center. I assume they'll just blame it on the coilovers. Anyone experience anything similar?

creaking during turns and over speedbumps is usually caused by aftermarket springs and coilovers rubbing the camber plates, etc. most of the time manufacturers will add rubber around the springs to help reduce creaking but often times you just need to grease the springs at the contact points.

creaking can also be caused from improper corner weight matching when changing out a suspension. i would reach out to UP to ask them their recommendations.

Just noticed a creaking noise coming from driver side during low speeds and it gets really loud when going over speed bumps. I can't tell if it's the front or rear. I'm guessing it has to do with the suspension? I did get UP coilovers installed a few months ago but I'm not sure if that's the cause. I'm hesitant to take it to a service center. I assume they'll just blame it on the coilovers. Anyone experience anything similar?

The cause is almost definitely your aftermarket suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
I get creaking/metal flexing noises either on speed bumps or entering my driveway (which has a high-ish bump-up). I figure it has to do with the heavy battery interacting with some structural frame components that flexing or torsion slightly when the car is no longer well-balanced and flat. I hope it is nothing serious and nothing to worry about...

Hi,

sounds pretty much like "Upper Control Arm Ball Joint" issue, which is common, esp. on the right side, for some unknown reasons.
The SC nearby already repaired 3 M3 with the same symptoms, now gonna be 4 (incl. mine)
According to the SC, Tesla reacted already so newer parts should not be affected by this issue anymore.

eg.:

Before you let them tell you it is your coilovers, I had the same creaking and clanking at low speeds over speed bumps and pot holes. Mostly coming from the driver's front. Like Nean mentioned, Tesla is aware of the issue. The service center did a ride along and heard the noise and knew immediately it was a problem with my stock suspension. They'd already repaired several that month.

They quickly replaced with no drama in my case:

Correction: Link - Stabilizer Bar - Front - Pair (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part
STABAR LINK ASSY, FRONT-RIGHT(1044396-00-D) 1.0 STABAR LINK ASSY, FRONT-LEFT(1044391-00-D) 1.0

Correction: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - LH (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

DAMPER ASSY, FRONT-LEFT, COIL RWD E3(1044364- 1.0 01-F)

Correction: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

DAMPER ASSY, FRONT-RIGHT, COIL RWD E3(1044369 1.0 -01-F)

Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (Includes Alignment) (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH(1044321-00-G) 1.0

Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH (Includes Alignment) (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, RH(1044326-00-G) 1.0

All under warranty and now it's good as new.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank42 and john5520
Hi,

sounds pretty much like "Upper Control Arm Ball Joint" issue, which is common, esp. on the right side, for some unknown reasons.
The SC nearby already repaired 3 M3 with the same symptoms, now gonna be 4 (incl. mine)
According to the SC, Tesla reacted already so newer parts should not be affected by this issue anymore.

eg.:
My Model 3 VIN 13k, I had exactly this same noise on the driver side, setup up an appt for the rep to come to my home and check it out. And in less than 5 minutes he diagnosed to some part relating to suspension (I don't recall what that was). Got an appt to fix it a few days later. And they fixed it in about two hours or so.

And coincidentally the right/passenger side front suspension also started making the same nose two weeks later which was also taken care of immediately on an appt within two days. This time I picked up the car in an hour after I dropped off.

This was the first time I had to go in for servicing (for repairs) and I really like setting up the appointment through the App. Very simple and it works.

Reactions: Hank42
Anyone know if it is safe to drive in this condition? I am having the same issues and need to go on a road trip in a few days. Can't get service for 2 more weeks
Yes, it should be fine. I put about 1,500 miles on my car between when the creak first appeared and when my control arms were replaced (due to scheduling). It’s super annoying to listen to but shouldn’t be a danger.