Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 (Nov-18) has a creaking noise has developed when you’re driving. Any ideas what it might be ?
Aside from The fact that there are no 2018 M3 in the UK.
The window seals dry out then make a creaking noise. It may well be that. Lubricating them and cleaning the tops of the windows solves it. Gummi Pfledge is the best thing. I am told long term best not to use silicone but silicone will also probably work.

Reactions: Chris CG
Lots of posts about upper control arm/front suspension creaking. Worth checking to see if they describe what you hear. It’s a common problem and a bodge was done by Tesla under a silent recall but it’s only a temporary fix until they replace the suspension top suspension arms.

Reactions: boombap
I had the temporary fix done on my M3LR around 18 months ago. Creaking again and this time Tesla quoted £59.40 to fix it! I suspect they just add grease to the ball joints. However I am just off to Austria on Wednesday so have opened the ball joints myself which is very easy. DO NOT follow any of the videos which show you how to puncture the joint boot and inject grease! This looks a very bad idea. It is easy to remove the retaining clip and pull the boot down. The grease that was in mine looks like a thickened PTFE - something like Fluorocarbon Gel 880 but I can't be sure. I was going to put some Moly grease in there but decided against mixing grease. Anyway was plenty of grease in my ball joints so simply moved the joints around to shift some grease from the boot onto the bearing surfaces.

I had the temporary fix done on my M3LR around 18 months ago. Creaking again and this time Tesla quoted £59.40 to fix it!...

I wonder why they have chosen to charge for your but many others, including ours, have had the upper control arms replaced under warranty? Ours also had the bodge fix around a year earlier. When they replaced ours, after fairly close investigation, only the drivers side was doing it, but they also replaced the passenger side. Ours would have had around 20-21k miles on it, and it was in the run up to its first MOT.

Interesting - well I will ask about having it done under warranty. My car is now 54,000 miles and first MOT at the end of March. Unfortunately got to do a trip to the Alps from Scotland first! Hope it holds out :)

I think you have a fighting chance of getting it under warranty because the same issue was raised before the end of the warranty period ... the temporary fix obviously wasn't sufficient. The SC will sometimes quote a price in advance for warranty work even though it doesn't ultimately get charged. However, you may even find that you own fix works too well! If it's no longer creaking they may not want to do the work. You would probably like the parts changed rather than worrying about it coming back at some undetermined point in the future!

Hi all
It seems my M3P (Nov 2019 car, with 30k miles) has started to develop a creaking noise. I can’t quite tell if it’s the suspension or not … but I can’t see what else it could be.
Do you guys think it probably is the suspension?

I have a 2018 and the creaking started about a week ago on right front ball joint. I had the reseal ball joints recall done a year ago. Do you think I would need to pay to get this fixed if after the recall fix it still happened? I am also out of warranty. 75000 miles.

I had the temporary fix done on my M3LR around 18 months ago. Creaking again and this time Tesla quoted £59.40 to fix it! I suspect they just add grease to the ball joints. However I am just off to Austria on Wednesday so have opened the ball joints myself which is very easy. DO NOT follow any of the videos which show you how to puncture the joint boot and inject grease! This looks a very bad idea. It is easy to remove the retaining clip and pull the boot down. The grease that was in mine looks like a thickened PTFE - something like Fluorocarbon Gel 880 but I can't be sure. I was going to put some Moly grease in there but decided against mixing grease. Anyway was plenty of grease in my ball joints so simply moved the joints around to shift some grease from the boot onto the bearing surfaces.

How did you do this? Is there a video tutorial on youtube?

Hi all
It seems my M3P (Nov 2019 car, with 30k miles) has started to develop a creaking noise. I can’t quite tell if it’s the suspension or not … but I can’t see what else it could be.
Do you guys think it probably is the suspension?

I believe that the initial challenge is identifying the source. A search on Youtube for creaking suspension solution shows most options (on various brands ... it seems that Tesla is not top of the list in this regard). Take your pick from anti roll bar bushes, various control arm bushes and of course the ball joints which were the subject of recall attention. Once identified it looks like adding lubrication can be relatively straightforward ... either for you or a mechanic.

On my car it turned out that it was the lower ball joints creaking not the usual upper ball joint fault. As the car was out of warranty Tesla charged around £500 to replace the lower joints. Seems to have solved the problem and to be honest I am not unhappy - at nearly 60,000 miles this is the only repair I have had done to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
So here's my experience with my shitty service center. I had the creaking 1.5 years ago and while under warranty they fixed it no issues. Now it's happening again. I took it in and they charged me 200.00 for the inspection.... fair. Then I get the invoice to the tune of 2000.00. I told them this was fixed under warranty so it was either improperly fixed or there must be some defect for this to happen 1.5 years later. At this point I'm speaking with the manager.... he proceeds to tell me that because it was fixed over a year ago and their warranty on work done is 1 year that it is not covered and I would have to pay for the fix. I told him this seems to be a bigger issue due to the fact that another customer came in the same day and time with the same concern. (I spoke with him as well).... I told them not to do the work since I had to swap my winter tires out later that afternoon. Fast forward to the shop where I swap the tires, I asked them to allow me to look at the suspension when the take the tire off to assess the parts they claimed needed replacing. Low and behold all the parts were fine with no play or indication of wear that would require replacing only that the ball joint boots felt empty. (Former apprentice mechanic). So after a youtube search it seems like this issue is common and requires injecting grease into the ball joint boot. So now I'm going back to speak with the manager to ask a few questions about this inspection that they determined basically my entire front suspension needed replacing. And I'm going to blow this *sugar* up because you can't rip customers off like this. Complete bullshit. Oh and also the manager basically admitted this is a problem stating "Doesn't all cars have issues common issues...." GTFOOH.

I’ts probably control arm or joints.

In addition to my earlier answer, it may also be “lower camber arm (inner bush) starting to delaminate”. Currently waiting to see if they will fix ours under warranty before it expires. Creaks when transitioning from reverse to forward. Control arms (subsequently greased then replaced) was a more widespread creak when car was being driven.