Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crossing to France from UK (MYLR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm going to the Alps in a MYLR and wondering when I get off the tunnel the other side do I need to change anything or does the car work in KM, show correct speed limits and adjust the matrix headlights to RHD? Have googled and found conflicting opinions on this.

Hi, I'm going to the Alps in a MYLR and wondering when I get off the tunnel the other side do I need to change anything or does the car work in KM, show correct speed limits and adjust the matrix headlights to RHD? Have googled and found conflicting opinions on this.
We travelled to Bruges in November last year, albeit in an M3P. The car just picked up within 500 metres of disembarking - didn't adjust anything, was seamless. As above, I didn't adjust the headlights as apparently you don't need to. Not matrix in my old 3 though. We're travelling to the Dordogne in an MYP in July so hopefully that's also seamless. Enjoy your trip. I'm off to Morzine on Saturday :)

Reactions: Neilio
Yes, you need to change to km from miles. I’ve had two occasions where the map hasn’t updated and thought I was in the sea somewhere. The gps only locates when the wheels are moving. One time it took over 30 mins… two button reset didn’t fix it either.

Reactions: ArunG
I change the display setting from Miles to kms. Is that not necessary? It used to be.
I had to do the same in the summer. That was the only config change to make, without changing it displayed the speed and speed limits in miles (eg 45mph vs 49mph limit in an 80kph zone). That's fine if the sign recognition works correctly, but we all know that it's spotty - hence you're better switching to km. (In display settings AFAIK)

Eurotunnel book all Teslas into the high n wide carriages. It means no ramps too. Just follow the signs for high vehicles after the French formalities.
Whilst there is nothing to adjust on correctly aligned headlights, I would have the UK alignment checked before you go.
I had my headlight alignment checked about a month or two after delivery as I noticed I was getting flashed - it was out but easy to adjust.
Your screen entertainment works throughout the tunnel journey.
There are superchargers at both departure terminals and at the Flexiplus departure lounge at Calais.

Plus on the eurotunnel you still get a signal (not entirely sure how) so we tend to watch a bit of Archer on Netflix during the crossing.

As with @Burley my map took a LONG time to update when coming off the train so be prepared for that. Know roughly where you are going or get a phone with Waze on.

Eurotunnel book all Teslas into the high n wide carriages. It means no ramps too. Just follow the signs for high vehicles after the French formalities.
Whilst there is nothing to adjust on correctly aligned headlights, I would have the UK alignment checked before you go.
I had my headlight alignment checked about a month or two after delivery as I noticed I was getting flashed - it was out but easy to adjust.
Your screen entertainment works throughout the tunnel journey.
There are superchargers at both departure terminals and at the Flexiplus departure lounge at Calais.
The ‘matrix-not-really’ headlights on the RHD MY have a significant kick-up in their pattern along the near side kerb. Did you find this was automatically removed when overseas, or was this the feature you had to manually remove?
It appears to be generated by both headlights, not just the near side unit. It would be inappropriate for driving on the right.

Thanks for your comments all. I understand no adjustments needed, I confess I find this off. Both my M3P and MYLR have matrix headlights and both have bumps in their output on the right hand side. Hey ho... 🤷‍♂️
The Tesla manual says no adjustment is necessary - that could really mean "no user adjustment is necessary" and it's done automatically for you based on your GPS location

I'll be driving to central France too in July.

Will remember to change to KPH when possible and have Google maps as backup.

Also need to apply for the crit air emissions sticker as we'll do a day trip to Paris. Takes 2 weeks to arrive and less than £5.

I'll be driving to central France too in July.

Will remember to change to KPH when possible and have Google maps as backup.

Also need to apply for the crit air emissions sticker as we'll do a day trip to Paris. Takes 2 weeks to arrive and less than £5.
A tip on the crit air sticker… make sure the photo of the documentation is around 700kb… we had a 1.5Mb file. The website says less than 2Mb, however if you get a cryptic error about the payment not being available it could be due to the file being too big. In our case this was due to the file size being 1.5Mb… took 2 weeks to figure this out by trial and error eventually reducing the size to 700Kb.

Last edited:
A tip on the crit air sticker… make sure the photo of the documentation is around 700kb… we had a 1.5Mb file. The website says less than 2Mb, however if you get a cryptic error about the payment not being available it could be due to the file being too big. In our case this was due to the file size being 1.5Mb… took 2 weeks to figure this out by trial and error eventually reducing the size to 700Kb.
Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the reminder - doing Sussex to Italy in May; my headlights are also a bit off, have requested a service.

A friend recommended getting the pass for the motorways in France to avoid having to stop at the toll roads as it’s a pain having to try and pay on the wrong side. eurotunnel website has a deal for the requisite device. Will take a week or so to arrive.

Thanks for the reminder - doing Sussex to Italy in May; my headlights are also a bit off, have requested a service.

A friend recommended getting the pass for the motorways in France to avoid having to stop at the toll roads as it’s a pain having to try and pay on the wrong side. eurotunnel website has a deal for the requisite device. Will take a week or so to arrive.
Definitely get a motorway pass...the toll booths in summer are a nightmare..some years the Red Cross are there distributing water to distressed families. The pass allows you to go through many booths without even stopping

i use www.tolltickets.com never had a problem