Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crossing to France from UK (MYLR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
went to France a week ago and picked up so many useful tips on this forum. We had a nightmare with the maps not updating after we got off the ferry. In the end I connected my phone to the Tesla app to plot a journey and it picked up the new location instantly. Hope that may be of some use to someone.

Regards

Paul

• Helpful
Reactions: kuruma
I imagine that hasn't been update from the old, non matrix headlights and their "flat" plane. Surely if their is a roadside bump on the headlights it needs adjusting/covering?
I'd have thought GPS would know where it is. Autopilot seems to understand its on the opposite side of the road when abroad, regional rules like the French speed limits changing if its raining do too. and with Matrix lights, the beam pattern isn't usually a function of adjustment and lens design, its usually a function of which of the elements they turn on (and Tesla wanting to use common parts would probably want it to work that way). I don't know for sure either way, just that the building blocks are all there to be able to change if they implemented it that way.

Just got back from France thinking with research and Tesla manual advice lights would be fine on 2022 Y - Basically you need to adjust the lights down, we had loads of complaints. Also the Halfords light converters we had didn't have instructions to fit to a Tesla y so had to give up with those. We adjusted the lights in the Menu with abit if guess work and then had to work out how to correct back in the UK. not worked that one out yet though ... I would have thought Tesla could easily have it auto adjust ... Charging was very good though to get to the Alps, super chargers all the way.
Good to have a definitive answer, but sad that it’s not the answer we were hoping for.

As this clearly isn’t the functionality described in the Tesla handbook- may be worth reporting as a Service Request/ Bug Fix.

Driving across borders and swapping side-of-road I would imagine is rare outside of the UK use-case and worth getting flagged with Tesla as an issue.

This is all interesting information..during the summer I plan to do the trip in reverse (that’s France to England not reverse gear😜)
If you're planning to drive into London at all with a foreign vehicle, make sure you register your vehicle for the ULEZ (ultra low emissions zone).

You may need to check the rules for other big cities you visit, too, as there are now several that have or are planning (Ultra) Low Emissions Zones or Clean Air Zones. Many of these zones outside London don't apply to private cars, but I've no idea if that works automatically for foreign vehicles or if you still need to register.

Reactions: Bouba
If you're planning to drive into London at all with a foreign vehicle, make sure you register your vehicle for the ULEZ (ultra low emissions zone).

You may need to check the rules for other big cities you visit, too, as there are now several that have or are planning (Ultra) Low Emissions Zones or Clean Air Zones. Many of these zones outside London don't apply to private cars, but I've no idea if that works automatically for foreign vehicles or if you still need to register.
Thanks Roy, appreciate that

Thanks Roy, appreciate that
Also, I should add, don't confuse the LEZ/ULEZ with the Congestion Charge, which is something completely different.

• ULEZ/LEZ/CAZ zones are all about keeping older, more polluting vehicles out of urban areas in order to improve air quality. London is the best known example, but other cities are in the process of implementing them, too. They tend to cover relatively large areas, sometimes entire cities. In principle, charges are only payable by people driving older, more polluting vehicles but since the authorities don't have access to registration details of foreign vehicles they require you to register your vehicle in advance otherwise they will assume it doesn't comply. (Vehicles that don't comply have to pay a fee for each day they drive into the zone, and will receive a large fine for non-payment.)

The newspapers here have recently been reporting on the large number of cases of European drivers driving into London and receiving fines for non-payment of the charge (because, not having registered, they were treated as if they were driving a polluting vehicle).

• The idea of congestion charging zones is to discourage vehicles from travelling right into the city centre during the day - they are are a charge that you have to pay for each day that you drive into the zone during its operating hours (and again you will get hit by a large fine if you don't pay). The best known is in the centre of London but there is also one in the centre of Durham. They are both much smaller than typical (U)LEZ/CAZ zones, covering only fairly small areas in the centre of the cities.

In principle these have nothing to do with emissions, applying to pretty much all vehicles entering the zone during its operating hours, but just to add a bit of confusion, there is a temporary scheme in London called the Cleaner Vehicle Discount. In order to promote the take up of electric vehicles, the Mayor of London introduced a the scheme which allows electric vehicles to get a 100% discount (i.e. effectively an exemption) from the London congestion charge until late 2025 in exchange for paying a £10 per year registration fee. I've no idea if this is available to foreign vehicles, but I doubt you'll be driving into the congestion charge zone much (if at all) since, frankly, driving in the centre of London during the day is best avoided!
TL;DR:
  1. Register your vehicle for the London LEZ/ULEZ if visiting London
  2. Remember, you'll still need to pay the congestion charge if you drive right into the centre of London (unless you choose to pay for the discount, if that option is even available to you)
  3. You may want to check the rules for other big cities, too.

Last edited:
In order to promote the take up of electric vehicles, the Mayor of London introduced a the scheme which allows electric vehicles to get a 100% discount (i.e. effectively an exemption) from the London congestion charge until late 2025 in exchange for paying a £10 per year registration fee.

I have that, but I have no recollection of registering for London LEZ/ULEZ

Do you know if registering fore CC means I didn't have to also register for London LEZ/ULEZ?

I have that, but I have no recollection of registering for London LEZ/ULEZ

Do you know if registering fore CC means I didn't have to also register for London LEZ/ULEZ?
LEZ/ULEZ is automatic for UK-registered vehicles as ANPR cameras retrieve details from DVLA to check if the vehicle is compliant. (If it's not obviously you still have to log in and pay the daily charge)
It's for foreign registered, where you have to manually register prior to entering the zone, otherwise it will assume non-compliance by default (Even if you're driving a Tesla...) and send an hefty £180 fine chased by EPC collections overseas. Apparently you can now challenge it by saying you were, in fact, compliant, and therefore the fine is baseless, but that's still a lot of trouble for nothing.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It's for foreign registered, where you have to manually register prior to entering the zone, otherwise it will assume non-compliance by default (Even if you're driving a Tesla...) and send an hefty £180 fine chased by EPC collections overseas. Apparently you can now challenge it by saying you were, in fact, compliant, and therefore the fine is baseless, but that's still a lot of trouble for nothing.
And not just one £180 fine, but a separate £180 fine for each day you entered the zone, no less!

EDIT: And this poor driver was fined £11,000, because the system couldn't tell that he wasn't driving a non-compliant HGV. I guess, without the DVLA lookup, the cameras can't (reliably) tell the difference between a car and a lorry, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner